JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Brownells tricked me, it still says right there its in stock... so I bought the RCBS Turret Delux press and reloading kit on sight, now it says its on backorder. My experience with backorders is it can take months to ship...

Now Im finding a RCBS Rock Chucker supreme complete reloading kit online. Also a RCBS Rockchucker (no kit) on Amazon and then a Lee Classic 4 hole turret press (no kit), in stock ready to ship.

New to this and selecting in the dark but I figured I should get a turret press but I don't know if all dies (another subject) will fit all presses or if Im stuck with the brand of press I buy? I'm thinking I want to stick with RCBS since it seems to be the most popular but that Lee turret press looks real nice too. I could be swayed...
Would a single stage press suffice or even be more ideal?
I just want to develop one or two hunting loads.

I'm tempted at cancelling my Brownells backorder, and ordering something in stock.

Whats a quality press to invest in?

Last Edited:
Lee precision is okay. Their presses are good usable products. I have a breechlock challenger press but replaced everything else in their kit. I believe RCBS is made in the US but from materials from Mexico. The whole single stage vs turrent is another discussion for beginners.

I think you will find that most of us, including myself, will recommend the press that we own... I have a turret press that is a good fit for my needs (Redding T7). I think there are very few presses people would advise you against buying... Any brand of die is designed to to fit every brand of press, they are all of standard sizing and interchangeable. There are some exceptions when you get into very large calibers like .50....

People's preference for which die manufacturer to choose is a discussion worthy of its own thread. I own Lee, Hornady and RCBS dies, they all do the intended job. Personally, I like Lee dies, especially for the price. If I was a benchrest shooter, I would consider Redding or other micrometer dies.
That being said, I am sure you are aware of how expensive and difficult to procure, primers currently are...
YouTube is a wealth of information on the subject of reloading presses.

For your current needs a rcbs rockchucker supreme is what I would recommend. https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-9356-Chucker-Supreme-Press/dp/B000N8LJ22

I would stay away from the kits and put together your own as you will get equipment better suited for your needs and probably cheaper. I also have a redding t7 turret press I like but I still do all my precision rifle rounds on a single stage with the exception of 223.

Brownells tricked me, it still says right there its in stock... so I bought the RCBS Turret Delux press and reloading kit on sight, now it says its on backorder. My experience with backorders is it can take months to ship...

Now Im finding a RCBS Rock Chucker supreme complete reloading kit online. Also a RCBS Rockchucker (no kit) on Amazon and then a Lee Classic 4 hole turret press (no kit), in stock ready to ship.

New to this and selecting in the dark but I figured I should get a turret press but I don't know if all dies (another subject) will fit all presses or if Im stuck with the brand of press I buy? I'm thinking I want to stick with RCBS since it seems to be the most popular but that Lee turret press looks real nice too. I could be swayed...
Would a single stage press suffice or even be more ideal?
I just want to develop one or two hunting loads.

I'm tempted at cancelling my Brownells backorder, and ordering something in stock.

Whats a quality press to invest in?

There's a Rock Chucker in the NWFA classifieds for $100 located in Salem this very moment.

I think you will find that most of us, including myself, will recommend the press that we own...

This ^^. I've got ten years on a Rock Chucker. Got the "Supreme Master Reloading" kit. At THAT time they included a 5-0-5 scale. There are indications that they now include a cheaper scale and a Nosler book rather than the Speer book. The RCBS press seems much more heavy and solid than some of the lower end Lee stuff.

One thing you want to do with the RCBS kit....If you're planning on doing hand gun you should get the cylinder with the small hole in it for the powder measure. The one it comes with is suitable for rife, but isn't so easy to dial in for measuring the smaller amount of powder used in handgun cartridge's.

Having owned a few, they all do the same thing really.

It's more about features that starts to set them apart. Lee has its own QD so does Hornady. The new RCBS has a better primer removal system, the old Rock Chucker doesn't.

Current market, it might just be a game of getting whatever is available.

This ^^. I've got ten years on a Rock Chucker. Got the "Supreme Master Reloading" kit. At THAT time they included a 5-0-5 scale. There are indications that they now include a cheaper scale and a Nosler book rather than the Speer book. The RCBS press seems much more heavy and solid than some of the lower end Lee stuff.

One thing you want to do with the RCBS kit....If you're planning on doing hand gun you should get the cylinder with the small hole in it for the powder measure. The one it comes with is suitable for rife, but isn't so easy to dial in for measuring the smaller amount of powder used in handgun cartridge's.
Can you link something please? I am about to do my first .357 on my RCBS kit and I can use all the pointers I can get

I'll tell you something else, if you're using used brass for .38/.357 your going to want the brass lengths to be pretty close. .002"-.003". Too much difference and it makes your roll crimps funky.

Can you link something please? I am about to do my first .357 on my RCBS kit and I can use all the pointers I can get

Might be a trick finding one in stock though..

If this is what you're asking?

Good luck finding one. The stock/large one, will work. The pistol size is just easier.

Pretty much any press will work, but I would stay away from the bottom of the barrel stuff.

If just starting out I would go with the RSBC RockChucker Press. They are a good quality press with excellent customer service. You will always use it way down the road if or when you decide to go with a turret press or a progressive press.
I like the Hornady single-stage Lock n Load presses. They take a bushing the die goes it. You put the die in the press and a 1/4 of a turn and you are ready to go to work.
The RCBS Rockchucker press has a screw in bushing on the press, you unscrew it and you can screw in the Lock n Load adapter.
You can screw in and screw out the dies until you decide to go with the Lock n Load bushings.

Most people will reccomend the brand of press that they have and never used the other brands.

I have three Hornady single stage presses, three RCBS Rockchucker presses, a Lee Turret press, a Redding T-7 turret press and Dillion 650 progressive press and will be picking up a Hornady AP press (a progressive press) as soon as these inflated prices drop back down to pre-panic prices.

For any one new to reloading do your self a favor and buy a RCBS Rockchucker press.
They can be found used at this time for $100 to $150 if you look around.
Buy yourself a Lyman manual, a Hornady manual and a Lee Manual. But be for warned Lee slaps himself on his back over & over & over again through out his book.

Read the books up to the loading data and take notes. Any questions ask on here of on other forums that have a reloading thread.
Be safe and enjoy the other part of the shooting sport.
Look around for stuff, the prices for reloading stuff is insane right not but will come down to normal in time. Until then wait and find stuff that is close to reasonable.

RCBS Rockchucker or Rockchucker supreme is a solid choice, and one you'll likely never wear out. It'll also handle almost any cartridge you throw at it.

If there's a kit "in stock" and it has all of the items you'll need, it'll probably get you up and running faster than waiting and trying to time it to get it pieced together.

Go with almost any full length sizing die and (IMO), a Forester micrometer adjustable bench rest Bullet seating die. There are multiple reasons I recommend this seater die. The increased cost over a standard die is minimal especially when you consider you'll have it and use it for many many years to come. Pennies a day literally.

I have many presses and still use my rockchucker to this day. That is a great start. As others have said, its finding the consumables that is the issue. Basically if you want To get started, I'd buy the rockchucker kit, buy any dies you can find for your highest use cartridges, stand in line trying to get a the consumables. When availability comes back you can be more selective of what brand dies and other stuff you want.

I've gotten by with single stage rockchucker for decades. Only time I want for something faster is loading 9mm.

i also clean brass after resizing/decapping. Prefer using hand tools to install primers as press can damage primers if something is wrong with pocket.

Recommend starting with single stage and after getting comfortable with process step up to turret.

Lots of recommendations for that rockchucker. I did like the idea of the full kit to get me going and the turret idea makes sense to me... but its tempting to cancel my backorder at Brownells and go for the simplicity of a single stage.
I ordered a Lee reloading book weeks ago but it got delayed in shipping for some covid reason or another so Im literally shopping blind if were talking components like presses and dies. My understanding is the turret is the same as a single stage except I can leave the dies set up in each turret spot and not have to reset the dies for each operation? Seems like the turret is the logical upgrade to the single stage, how difficult or timely is it to set up each die set to run step operations?

Side note about the mention of primers as Im aware those are like unicorns right now, Id like to jump on any in the rare event I find them, what is the primer I need to reload 25-06?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top