JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lots of recommendations for that rockchucker. I did like the idea of the full kit to get me going and the turret idea makes sense to me... but its tempting to cancel my backorder at Brownells and go for the simplicity of a single stage.
I ordered a Lee reloading book weeks ago but it got delayed in shipping for some covid reason or another so Im literally shopping blind if were talking components like presses and dies. My understanding is the turret is the same as a single stage except I can leave the dies set up in each turret spot and not have to reset the dies for each operation? Seems like the turret is the logical upgrade to the single stage, how difficult or timely is it to set up each die set to run step operations?

Side note about the mention of primers as Im aware those are like unicorns right now, Id like to jump on any in the rare event I find them, what is the primer I need to reload 25-06?
This is where a reloading manual will come in. Don't worry about the primers. I'll take care of you on that.

Most all brands of dies are 7/8 diameter X 14 threads per inch, (with the exception of some smaller very old ones and maybe some exotic custom ones) and should fit nearly every press you can find. I have a very old Pacific press which takes all old and new die with 7/8 X14 threads.
The only sore spot might be the shell holders (which usually don't come with the press) as there seems to be a variety of fits (by brand) in my ram, plus, some shell holders have trouble with thicker lips on some brands of brass case. This, while irritating, can be solved by just using another brand shell holder. While I use the press for decapping, I do not for priming, I prefer hand priming so though I have the accessory I don't need it. Speaking of decapping, you do need a well thought out catch tray for the spent primers or it will shortly become a source or irritation.
One other important aspect sometimes overlooked is the ram opening. Especially when buying older used ones, some do not accept the longer calibers very well since the opening may be on the short side. Be sure the press you buy will comfortably allow the insertion of the longest brass / bullet combination caliber you intend to use. by comfortably, I mean so the brass / bullet can be inserted without tipping the assembly to enter the frame to the point the bullet may fall sideways.
Even if you believe you will only load pistol calibers, I would hedge your bet on the future and ensure it will handle tall rifle calibers too.
If you intend to reform larger calibers buy a press with as little flex as possible.
Do yourself a favor and provide it with a very stout heavy bench to mount it to , preferably bolted to the wall and floor. You won't be sorry.
For single stage presses, turrets are cool but not for me. If the only reason is resetting the die hassle, that's a myth in my mind. I lock down the stop ring on my dies when I find the right set so they screw in and tighten up to the same place each time and it takes only seconds to change the dies. (you must make sure you use the same shell holder you set them for)They store in their original box using up little room. keeps me from forgetting to clean and inspect them when I put them away, plus I don't need a dozen of them for all the different calibers. That said, I believe more folks use them, or want to have them than not. Chalk it up to individual preference over actual benefit. But even if you have a turret but you change the bullet style, you will still have to readjust the seating die.

My understanding is the turret is the same as a single stage except I can leave the dies set up in each turret spot and not have to reset the dies for each operation? Seems like the turret is the logical upgrade to the single stage, how difficult or timely is it to set up each die set to run step operations?
I had the same thought and that is one of the reasons I chose a turret. You also can preform multiple steps on the case being worked on by rotating the turret and not have to reach and replace the case for every step. I leave my dies in my turret once they have been set and have seven openings on the turret head. I have an extra turret head with more dies in that one and the turret heads can be quickly swapped. However, you can get very fast at making these same adjustments on a single stage and many people prefer it...
Personally, I would suggest deciding if you wanted a single stage or a turret or a progressive or a coaxial more important than choosing a specific brand.

One other important aspect sometimes overlooked is the ram opening. Especially when buying older used ones, some do not accept the longer calibers very well since the opening may be on the short side. Be sure the press you buy will comfortably allow the insertion of the longest brass / bullet combination caliber you intend to use.
Ive looked but have no way of knowing, RCBS doesnt state opening size on their rockchucker press. Ive always assumed that any brands press would accept standard hunting rounds or nobody would recommend them.
I think Im going to go with the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme. Will that work for reloading a 25-06... id like to think so.

Ive always assumed that any brands press would accept standard hunting rounds or nobody would recommend them.

This is correct. Pretty much any press especially the common ones will do wjat your looking for. Literally everything except .50 cal.

I love my co-ax its butter smooth. I have LED's hooked up to it. It is absolutely bomb proof. It will last many lifetimes it is VERY well built. I dont think anything is EVER going to break and thats one of the key features i wanted in a press.
Its vert tight and accurate, people always comment it has tremendous leverage compared to other presses as is illustrated by the common short handle.
Its has its own proprietary shell holder that automatically opens and closes when the floor plate is raised and lowered.
Theres very little flex in the system, but since the shell holders are spring loaded the shell can "self align" to the shell holder allowing for more co axial alignment. In theory its more accurate.

the dies literally just slide in and out in seconds. It takes no time at all. And as long as your not changing bullets the dies remain settup as they were before.

One caveat though, i have a set of the rcbs competition dies that basically REQUIRE you to have a standard shell holder. So there i was hosed. I had to centertap their specific shell holder and attach a steel 54r case rim to the bottom of it to get it to work.
So i wouldnt reccomend those dies. As i see it the dies are the problem not the press.

These arent cheap, and may be nearly impossible to find atm. But its a buy once cry once deal. I dont think youll regret it. And youll enjoy using it.

For a powder measure i have a 3BR with the rifle cylinder and its pretty amazing even down to pistol calibers.

I find a good thrower is sometimes amazingly accurate and i sometimes wonder why anyone would want to wait for a electronic trickler.
I can throw a load and put it on my scale fairly fast.
OR better yet throw a whole tray and then go back and measure them quickly thats alot faster than waiting.

This guys has ALOT of presses to compare. And even some high end ones like the prazzi (spelling?) press or the mark 7 electronic progressive press. Hes worth checking out for broader understanding.

I know my bench is a disaster, Im working on it. (I also clean it off when im actually reloading)

Hope this helps just incase you run across one youll know. Sometimes you just gotta take what life gives you.

20210207_122827_HDR.jpg 20210207_122859_HDR.jpg 20210207_122837_HDR.jpg

Also keep your eye out at garage sales etc for upgrades. Ive found amazing deals.
Friends have hooked me up, when i bought my mosin YEARS ago my buddy cleared out his safe and for the $75 i paid for the mosin i got a nice older rcbs ohaus 505, redding trickler, a gaint bag of mil spec tracer for 54R and a bag of 8mm mauser from ww2.

I was in disbelief. And thankful.
So keep your ears and eyes out. You never know.

So I found an RCBS Rebel press on sale....
That's an "O" type single stage press.
Similar to Rock Chucker but ambidextrous.
Ambi does not matter if you are right-handed.
I like Redding stuff and being right-handed, I like the "Off-Set O" design.
Provides more clearance (visually and physically) for the right-handed operator..

Here's a page that shows the commonly found single stage O presses on the market.
Some are not in stock of course, so you'll have to search around if you see a model you like.

Lots of recommendations for that rockchucker. I did like the idea of the full kit to get me going and the turret idea makes sense to me... but its tempting to cancel my backorder at Brownells and go for the simplicity of a single stage.
I ordered a Lee reloading book weeks ago but it got delayed in shipping for some covid reason or another so Im literally shopping blind if were talking components like presses and dies. My understanding is the turret is the same as a single stage except I can leave the dies set up in each turret spot and not have to reset the dies for each operation? Seems like the turret is the logical upgrade to the single stage, how difficult or timely is it to set up each die set to run step operations?

Side note about the mention of primers as Im aware those are like unicorns right now, Id like to jump on any in the rare event I find them, what is the primer I need to reload 25-06?

Many of the newer RCBS presses can and several others can use an adapter to allow them to use the Lee breech lock quick change system.

Speaking about your possible turret press purchase. Well, say it this way.....even if you go to a progressive at a later date. Well, for me....

I've found that there is/was always a job for the old single stage RockChucker.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....YES a .25-06 will work in a RockChucker.

Last Edited:
Speaking about your possible turret press purchase. Well, say it this way.....even if you go to a progressive at a later date. Well, for me....

I've found that there is/was always a job for the old single stage RockChucker.

Aloha, Mark
This.

Still a Lee fan, already miss the turret press I had.

Drank the blue koolaid and am deep into caliber conversions, die heads and a more expense than anticipated.

Lee hit the spot in the earlier days and worked well. Now as time allows and fiancé's have changed the Dillon was a great upgrade, my familiarity with the process has allowed me to maintain a progressive press with speed and accuracy.

@Koda, anything now days is going to be fine if you can find the accessories for it.

So what I ended up doing today is cancelling my Brownells order and I purchased an RCBS Rebel single stage press which I found on sale at Natchez Shooters Supply for $215. ( @Reno still in stock if your still thinking....)
No kit, which I'm fine with, I think... since I don't yet know what the quality is of the rest of the kits components I don't mind piecing the rest of my stuff together separately.

This thread has really helped because I think once my dies are set I don't need to reset them every time I change them, I think... anyways, that put me in favor of a stronger simpler single stage press. If I'm wrong about that oh well at this point, at least I don't have to worry about waiting and waiting on a backorder and I can keep moving forward with learning what I need next and shopping for it. It does suck with everything being sold out and no end in sight but while I don't have a time crunch on this project it would be nice to have time to develop a load before next fall hunting season. We will see.

This is the video that kinda confirmed getting the Rebel over the Rockchucker

I should have an extra set of 25/06 dies. You will need a trimmer to trim the cases down to the right size after you resize them.
I like the Lyman case trimmer with the cam lock system.
The pack of pilots for mostvtrimmers foes not gome with a 25 caliber pilot so you will need to buy one. When I started reloading for my 25/06 I bought extra dies and three of the 25/06 Lyman case trimmer pilots.

One of our local Costal Country stores had 25/06 Nosler Partition bullets a while ago.

Do you have any 26/06 brass?
These things you will need and can buy now if you can find them.

Might want to check this guy out while your clicky clicky!

Im actually tempted to get that since Im taller. Not certain yet what my workbench needs... but bookmarked that.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top