JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
jbett98, yes, and that's why a HD gun should be thoroughly tested in all conditions before trusting it. I have some semi-autos that I can't get to jam no matter what I do. My most reliable gun right now is a Canik TP9 v2. It won't malfunction no matter what garbage I put in it or how I hold it. And without the additional backstrap, the grip isn't that big. And the recoil is minimal. And it's one of the cheapest guns I own. Can't beat that combo.

I don't think I'd recommend a shotgun for a person that may not be as quick or as strong as we are.
Heavy, slower than a handgun to deploy and a weaker person wielding a long gun could be more easily disarmed by the attacker.

I vote for going to a range that features a large "rental fleet" and start the tryouts.
That sounds like fun !
A shotgun or any long gun for someone older and not real experienced is best if they are going to be hunkered down and waiting. If the gun is they are in the bedroom waiting for the Calvary to arrive great. Would not want them to be expected to have to move through the house with it. The range with rentals is always my first suggestion. Great place for them to get to try several and see how they like them first.

Didn't see it but may have missed it..

What about the .22lr revolvers that have a 10 shot capacity?

Low recoil - higher end ammo almost never has issues, and the sound wouldn't ring her bell.

Yea, yea... .22 isn't a good round for protection... I've carried a .22 as a pocket guns for years and no sane person would stand in front of a .22 and take hits once or repeatedly.

Just my 2¢

AndyinEverson, yes, that's all very possible. But there are a lot of reliable semi-autos that have minimal recoil.
  • If the gun is loaded and there's one in the chamber, there's no need to rack the slide. Guns for self defense should always have one in the chamber.
  • If the grip isn't comfortable, then that's not the right semi-auto. There are others. Semi-autos have a better NPOA (natural point of aim, I know I'm going to catch some flak for that, but it's true.)
  • I wouldn't recommend a safety on a home defense gun.
  • Something like a G42 has minimal recoil. Many 9MM guns have minimal recoil too compared with many of the previous revolver recommendations. I shot a Ruger Security Six for the first 20 years of my shooting experience, so it's not like I'm averse to wheel guns.
  • If the gun is picky about ammo, then it's the wrong gun. And the gun should be thoroughly tested with HD ammo anyhow.
Granted, a semi-auto can jam and if the user isn't comfortable with racking the slide, that's a problem. But there are so many guns out there that are so reliable that this is a minimal risk.

Personally, I carry a Ruger LCR in 9mm, but I wouldn't recommend a small frame gun for someone who's averse to recoil.

Scott

All that is nice...
But has nothing to do with my main point.
Which was :
How many rounds the gun holds should not be your only reason for picking said gun.
Andy

Joe13,
I do agree with you , that at times a .22LR can be the best choice for some folks.
As you said use quality ammo , that's the biggest failing for use of the .22LR for self defense in my mind.

I wouldn't want to have to rely on a .22LR for self defense as a general rule ... But I wouldn't just curl up and wait to die if that's all I had either.
Andy

Joe13,
I do agree with you , that at times a .22LR can be the best choice for some folks.
As you said use quality ammo , that's the biggest failing for use of the .22LR for self defense in my mind.

I wouldn't want to have to rely on a .22LR for self defense as a general rule ... But I wouldn't just curl up and wait to die if that's all I had either.
Andy
Oh Andy, we all know you'd strangle Chuck Norris with your coonskin cap if it came down to it. As is right and proper.
I agree though, for defense, .22 is probably best out of a revolver.. but a lot of those, as compared directly to their centerfire counterparts have terribly heavy DA pulls.

Joe13,

Andy

"Curl up and Dye" was the name of a fictional Beauty Parlor in the Blues Brothers film.

(I think that I have been there before). ;)

I suggest an 18" Rossi/Taurus Circuit Judge .410 revolver shotgun, loaded with Federal 000 buck. Put a small laser sight on it. Easy for a non-gun person to operate and shoot accurately. I bought one for my wife a few years ago for home defense as I was on business travel quite a bit.

No need to learn how to clear stoppages and easier to shoot more accurately than a handgun.

Carrying? Lightweight revolver, best in .22 mag.
House gun? Make it a long gun.

Don't let her get too wrapped around the choice; she can always trade it in for something different.

she told me she wants to "learn to shoot a gun so I can feel safe alone."

Ah, the true use of a gun is revealed. No, it's not just for shooting people. No, it's not for defense. No, it's not for overthrowing an evil government. It's so you can sleep well. :)

Model 10 S&W (.38 S&W Special). It has worked for 118 years, you can load anything from light "wadcutter loads" to 158-grain, cylinder-bulging "blue whistlers".

You name it, the .38 Special can do it and do it well!

The long-forgotten .32 S&W Long (from a .32 H&R Magnum) works extremely well for persons that are slight-of-build. In the 6-shot Charter Arms "Undercoverette" these can "do the job" without intimidating the shooter in question.

Think about it.

Model 10 S&W (.38 S&W Special). It has worked for 118 years, you can load anything from light "wadcutter loads" to 158-grain, cylinder-bulging "blue whistlers".

You name it, the .38 Special can do it and do it well!
Even better, the S&W Model 15.
The Combat Masterpiece.
A Model 10 with adjustable sights.
Now, you can hold the sights right on the bullseye! -b

1011d1311279804-s-w-model-15-3-k38-combat-masterpiece-model-15-combat-masterpiece-2.jpg

( ^^^ not mine ^^^ )

Last Edited:
I don't think it's made anymore.

Dang, I bought my wife one of these (Circuit Judge long gun) and have sometimes thought about getting another to go with my Judge pistol. I don't see it in the 2017 catalog. That's too bad it wasn't popular. My wife LOVES hers. Ha, it will probably become a collectors item if we live long enough.

img1.jpg
Rossi-Circuit-Judge-Rifle-2.jpg

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class