JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
State law can supersede Federal law. I do not know WA law. I guess you learned a lesson. I would NEVER show a stranger anything firearm related that I own EVER. As far as anyone is concerned, I own no firearms, or ammo, and my safes are full of important papers. I do not understand how so many people on this board so easily flaunt pictures of their guns and gun collections. Don't think you are not being watched whether your guns are registered or not.

State law can supersede Federal law. I do not know WA law. I guess you learned a lesson. I would NEVER show a stranger anything firearm related that I own EVER. As far as anyone is concerned, I own no firearms, or ammo, and my safes are full of important papers. I do not understand how so many people on this board so easily flaunt pictures of their guns and gun collections. Don't think you are not being watched whether your guns are registered or not.

If everyone just pretended that guns were not around, eventually anyone found with one will be subject to harrassment and persicution.

Exercise your rights, or lose them outright.

BHOWE, you thinking about moving to Oregon now?? We can own AND shoot suppressed weapons here. Just a thought.

Good luck, and I look forward to a good outcome for you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not think I have a problem. I'm told that the first step to recovery is to admit your problem..... Screw them. I have NO problem.

Gendarmes sometimes don't always know the laws. 20 years ago I was stopped for a misssing front license plate. The young Oregon State Policeman called in to check on my driver's license, and when he returned , he imediately asked to see my CCP and handgun. I told him that I wasn't packing, nor did I have a piece anywhere in the rig. He then asked which gun did I have was "registered to the CCP". I had to inform him the I wasn't required to carry the CCP if I didn't have a concealed handgun with me and that no one handgun is "registered to the CCP". He waivered and after making a fewmore radio calls and admitted his lack of knowledge. We chit chatted a bit and I mentioned that I had the CCP so that I could then a handgun without having to go through a waiting period. Surprisingly, a few weeks later, he called me to ask if I'd try to sell a rifle for him since he was getting married soon. I graciously refused to do so. If you know that you're correct, allow them to be ignorant and don't piss them off. I know it's tough to do so when they're being no-it-all buttheads.

You know I really don't understand how a law enforcement agency can confiscate a suppressor and not take you to jail. Maybe I'm stupid and don't get it.
How is it so bad they have to take it, but you run along now guy with your now loud guns.

It makes no sense.
I'm actually hanging on the edge of my seat checking this post everytime I log in to see if you have heard anything.

I would be furious, I mean calling a lawyer/DA/ATF as soon as I got home.

I'm p'd off now and I don't even know you.

I would also write a formal complaint to the Snohomish County Sheriff. Unfortunately, LE ignorance is at fault here. While they likely confiscated your suppressors in 'good faith' they are negligent in being ignorant of the law. You were breaking no law, yet they deprived of your property and temporarily deprived you of your freedom. In your letter, be sure and quote the applicable RCW the makes suppressor ownership, but not use, legal. Also cite applicable federal law.

I would consult a layer only for the seizure of person/property you experienced. The Sno County Prosecuting Attorney's Office will research the case before they file, and, if not already aware of the legality of owning suppressors, will be forced to decline the case for prosecution.

You can hide your stuff all you want. You can stay that guy with the secret.

I prefer to ride in the front of the bus.

So, it's legal for a Washington resident to own/possess a suppressor in the state of Washington, but it's illegal to use a suppressor in the state of Washington.

OP is going shooting in the state of Washington and takes his suppressors shooting with him.

Curious, why did you take your suppressors out shooting with you?

There is no INTENT written into the WA State Suppressor law.

You can legally own one, attach it to your gun, even say you're going to use it...but it doesn't mean anything until its actually used.

As for an "Over Zealous Prosecutor"...no such thing as one in this case, because the P/A doesn't have a case. They will know this in short order, no charges can be filed over a law that doesn't exist.

Come on people, sloooooow doooooown and take a breath!

Been an LEO for 22yrs, even did some detail work for ATF a few times, and yes most of them are screw balls! Talk to 10 different ATF agents, you'll either get 10 different answers, or not a one of them wants to give you an answer!

When you pick up your cans, tell them you want to meet with the officer(s) that took them from you. Take a copy of the RCW and educate them.

Ignorance can be rectified, but stupidity is forever!

There is no INTENT written into the WA State Suppressor law.

You can legally own one, attach it to your gun, even say you're going to use it...but it doesn't mean anything until its actually used.

As for an "Over Zealous Prosecutor"...no such thing as one in this case, because the P/A doesn't have a case. They will know this in short order, no charges can be filed over a law that doesn't exist.

Come on people, sloooooow doooooown and take a breath!

Been an LEO for 22yrs, even did some detail work for ATF a few times, and yes most of them are screw balls! Talk to 10 different ATF agents, you'll either get 10 different answers, or not a one of them wants to give you an answer!

When you pick up your cans, tell them you want to meet with the officer(s) that took them from you. Take a copy of the RCW and educate them.

Ignorance can be rectified, but stupidity is forever!

yes there is not intent written in the law. but as stated before the OP was opening himself to potential problems by bringing the illegal to use silencers shooting with him. then he showed a few complete strangers( read sheeple) the nasty illegal, baby killing silencers. everyone of you in WA is more than open to flaunting your rights to own but not use silencers, but in flaunting it too much you are opening yourself to uneducated confiscations

everyone of you in WA is more than open to flaunting your rights to own but not use silencers, but in flaunting it too much you are opening yourself to uneducated confiscations

I have to agree with this BUT, if you don't educate the masses about how stupid the law is it will never change. The more people that see suppressors, and hear how stupid washafornias laws are the high the chance of a repeal passing.

Just my .02. I let lots of people shoot my guns. Thats everything from suppressed to machineguns. It is a great opener to talk about gun laws. It may be preaching to the choir, but every voice helps. And it has lead to some sales too.

This movie sucks.

Need to know if boy finally met girl and were happily reunited.

I am supposed to be hearing back from the deputies elusive supervisor that apparently only works a few hours late in the night or something. I am calling again tonight. The number they gave me to call is just the Snohomish county 911. So as much as I don't want to just call them everyday and ask to be put in touch with him, I don't have much else of a choice.

Sorry this is not more interesting.

It would be a lot better, and a whole lot less interesting if it never happened at all. This isn't daytime TV, if you want drama watch Dr Phil.

The Snohomish DA is the Vice President of the Washington Arms Collectors Association, and sells guns at every show. He also holds an FFL :s0112::s0112::s0112:

Pass the popcorn!!:s0114::s0114::s0114::s0114:

I am doing some research on it. I can't find anything specific. It looks like he used to be the prosecutor for fife.

That would be freakin sweet though.

uhg.. i can't help but roll my eyes every time i hear somebody talk about some cop that's gonna get in trouble because of some non-LEO's perceived rights violation.

let's leave out the smug until we get a final disposition... from the OP's story, it certainly sounds like a crock of crap- but we only have his side of the story, and we can't forget that these guys (cops, DAs, ATFs, etc) are all on the same side. they're always VERY hesitant to pass judgement on each other- and rightfully so.

not trying to be insulting to anyone- just making the point i made.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top