JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I can't believe the fellow shooters ratted you out! I really hope the law firm can get this resolved quickly for you.
The thing that sucks is there'll be no recourse for the police officer, and they will still be ignorant of the law.

Man, some of you guys watch too many lawyer TV shows :s0114:

Bhowe, it sounds like you know what to do and have your act together. I'd call the ATF anyway and just tell them what happened. You don't have to file any report, just tell them that you need some help educating the local backwater Sheriff and they'll probably be more than happy to help.

You should then try to get a hold of the shift sergeant/supervisor for the officer you dealt with and ask him for his help in getting your suppressors back. Be sure you let him know that they ATF has been notified. You'll probably get some response once you've got a supervisor involved.

Regarding the Sultan Pit; that place is a hotbed of smacktards. I live about 10 minutes away from there but I never shoot there anymore because of all of the idiots I've encountered there - general unsafe gun handling, shooting rocks, people shooting OVER other shooters, drinking, people going down range while others are shooting, etc. It doesn't surprise me at all that you ran into some d-bags out there. The locals are active in trying to get the place shut down to shooting as well.

Just curious, was one of the officers the guy who drives the 4-door Ford F150? I've talked to him out there a few times and he seemed OK. Just wondering if it was the same dude.

Kinda wish someone would try that with me. I could use the settlement money. Harassment, theft of private property, false imprisonment, false arrest (if arrested).
What I would like to know is why you were not immediately asking for a lawyer or calling your lawyer.

Owning a vehicle and a case of beer does not mean you are driving drunk or will be driving drunk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik&feature=player_embedded#

you and your friends were just asking to have this happen. bringing silencers that are illegal to use on a firearm to a public shooting spot in the presence of firearms(some of which are threaded to accept said silencers i would imagine) is just redundant. do you expect the cops to believe that you were just going to hold the silencer up by itself and make quiet pew pew noises? seriously.....i know the law is ridiculous but its there none the less. this is just a prime example of what can happen. next time i would just leave the state to shoot them, or just leave them at home since you are openly inviting arrest, and confiscation of them by bringing them shooting.......even if you're "not" going to actually use them. of course we all know you were never going to break the law by using them. you just brought them along because you could right? sure

Its legal to own them if you live in Washington. How I understand the law is you cannot legally shoot them in Washington. You have to go to Oregon or Idaho to shoot the suppressors legally. I would seriously call the ATF, because no one besides whose name is on the ATF item should posses it.

Scary that the local officer does not respect the federal law.

It is my understanding that you can legally own and posses a supressor in Washington. However it is also my understanding that it is a gross misdemeanor if you are caught shooting one. That law does not apply to Federal property like Ft. Lewis, Yakima Training center, Bangor sub base, etc. I have shot weapons with supressors on Ft. Lewis many times. With politicians. Correct me if I am wrong but if you take your NFA item to another state you must get prioir approval from the ATF?

It is my understanding that you can legally own and posses a supressor in Washington. However it is also my understanding that it is a gross misdemeanor if you are caught shooting one. That law does not apply to Federal property like Ft. Lewis, Yakima Training center, Bangor sub base, etc. I have shot weapons with supressors on Ft. Lewis many times. With politicians. Correct me if I am wrong but if you take your NFA item to another state you must get prioir approval from the ATF?

NO - You simply have to send a form into ATF and notify them of the cross border travel - NO approval is necessary!

Assuming things transpired as reported, contact the B.A.T.F.E. and ask them to contact the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office. They can explain that the Form 4 is valid and the deputy made an error in confiscating the property.

Honestly, it's not surprising that a law enforcement officer does not know the law. I used to go to a gun store that had quite a few local officers as customers. The manager was an old gun and gold bug. If it had anything to do with guns or gold, he knew it. He would routinely get calls from the police during and immediately after the sunset of Clinton's Assault Weapon Ban where an officer had stopped an individual with a firearm and the officer was not sure if X (full capacity magazines, a rifle with a flash hider, a rifle with a bayonet lug, a rifle with a folding/telescoping stock, etc.) was legal.

With N.F.A. stuff, it is not something commonly encountered by the average LEO. Generally speaking, the average officer has no idea what N.F.A. firearm or device is legal and what is not. Add to it that WA has its own set of peculiar state laws and you can run into this kind of thing.

Remain calm and contact the B.A.T.F.E. It will not be the first time they have to explain the law to someone with a badge.

Bhowe, it sounds like you know what to do and have your act together. I'd call the ATF anyway and just tell them what happened. You don't have to file any report, just tell them that you need some help educating the local backwater Sheriff and they'll probably be more than happy to help.

You should then try to get a hold of the shift sergeant/supervisor for the officer you dealt with and ask him for his help in getting your suppressors back. Be sure you let him know that they ATF has been notified. You'll probably get some response once you've got a supervisor involved.

Terrible idea. The OP is facing criminal charges. He should not be talking to law enforcement (except _maybe_ the ATF) on his own. He needs to get a lawyer, shut the heck up, and quit posting here.

He does NOT need a lawyer.

He just needs to call the Seattle ATF office and he will have his cans back in a jiffy.

That won't stop an overzealous prosecutor from pressing charges... getting the cans back is a secondary goal. It's better to have a lawyer and not need one than to say something stupid when you're talking to the police and wind up losing your right to own guns for the rest of your life...

Regarding the Sultan Pit; that place is a hotbed of smacktards. I live about 10 minutes away from there but I never shoot there anymore because of all of the idiots I've encountered there - general unsafe gun handling, shooting rocks, people shooting OVER other shooters, drinking, people going down range while others are shooting, etc. It doesn't surprise me at all that you ran into some d-bags out there. The locals are active in trying to get the place shut down to shooting as well.

Just curious, was one of the officers the guy who drives the 4-door Ford F150? I've talked to him out there a few times and he seemed OK. Just wondering if it was the same dude.

Yup, brand new 4 door Ford F-150. He claimed to be a member of their SWAT team, but did not know other members of the SWAT team that I know.

you and your friends were just asking to have this happen. bringing silencers that are illegal to use on a firearm to a public shooting spot in the presence of firearms(some of which are threaded to accept said silencers i would imagine) is just redundant. do you expect the cops to believe that you were just going to hold the silencer up by itself and make quiet pew pew noises? seriously.....i know the law is ridiculous but its there none the less. this is just a prime example of what can happen. next time i would just leave the state to shoot them, or just leave them at home since you are openly inviting arrest, and confiscation of them by bringing them shooting.......even if you're "not" going to actually use them. of course we all know you were never going to break the law by using them. you just brought them along because you could right? sure

I have been to MULITPLE demo shoot with many many police depts where they shoot full autos and silenced weapons. We even have video of several LE officers as well as police chiefs shooting with silencers on guns right along side us in this state. There is no exemption for LE according to RCW 9.41.250.

Sorry but I do not agree with you at all. So even though I am fully within my rights to do something, I shouldn't? Maybe I should never carry a gun at all, because although most police officers know that concealed and open carry are both perfectly legal in our state, just knowing that some officers are against the legal carry of firearms by otherwise law abiding citezens, I should leave it at home to protect myself against the harrassment of an unedjucated LE?

One of the benefits of the WA state suppressor law is that companies that make tactical gear in the area like to have them on their weapons to simulate "tac" situations or make it look cooler to sell their products. So what you are saying is that a silencer, legally owned by a corporation, should not be taken with, attatched to guns to venders to display everything from flash hiders to slings and flashlight mounts?

Maybe you should call PWS or Tactical Link and tell them not to use their displays to help sell products. See how that goes for you.

That won't stop an overzealous prosecutor from pressing charges... getting the cans back is a secondary goal. It's better to have a lawyer and not need one than to say something stupid when you're talking to the police and wind up losing your right to own guns for the rest of your life...

Actually, it WILL stop an over-zealous prosecutor from doing ANYTHING.

There was no crime, there are no charges.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top