JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It figures....

After getting my press finally set up, six rounds into prepping my very cases, the de-capping pin breaks. Call RCBS, explain the problem, and with no questions asked they're sending me a new mandrel assembly and a few extra pins to boot!

Here also. I've called a couple times, and before I can even finish telling them what happen they say, "no problem, give us your address." I bought a used powder drop and it was missing the flat metal piece that allows you to mount it to the work bench, and I was going to buy it, but they said no biggie and sent me a new one of those. And every time they don't even charge me the shipping charges. I could go on and on. Totally awesome service. :s0155:

Yes, RCBS customer service is hard to beat. The only problem I have ever encountered with them is with their electronic products. The electronics are only covered under warranty for one year from date of purchase. I have had RCBS replace broken parts etc.. on tools that I have used for 20 years or more even after I've told them that I've used the heck out of it. Good company that stands behind it's products and knows that it is easier to keep a customer than to go find another one.

I've been running a Rockchucker for about a year and had no issues at all. I would say something about RCBS dies that bothers me. If you're loading HPs in .45acp you don't have a seater plug that will seat without crushing the hollow point on the bullet, some more some less depending on headstamp of the brass.

My Lee dies in 9mm, .40 and .44 have the seater plugs cut so they contact the shoulder of RN OR HPs, not the tips of a bullet. The used Hornady dies I bought for .38/.357 ALSO have a similar seater plug as the Lee. RCBS DOES include two seater plugs in the .45acp set, for round nose AND semi wad cutters, though the wad cutter plug is too shallow to be used with bullets such as Hornady XTP OR Raineer Balistics HPs.

I contacted RCBS and was told they would cut my seater plug to conform to my choice of bullet that I would send to them, for $21.00. This means I would need to puchase a new plug + $21.00 + shipping. That would put me over $30.00 when I could buy an entire new Lee die set for that, which is what I will likely end up doing.

Mike

Can't argue about RCBS Customer Service.

One question though, what caused the pin to break????

In all my years of loading, I've bent one pin and it was when I tried to deprime a berdan primed case.

For me it's not the fact that I can get free pins and de-capping rods, I hate not being able to use the die until the mail arrives.

For any questionable brass (range pickup mostly) I have a Lee Universal Depriming Die. Solid pin, almost like a punch. I deprime all brass that hasn't been through one of my guns first then give it a good cleaning in SS Pin media. Less crap buildup in my dies that way too. The depriming pin on the Lee Die is strong, strong enough that it punched a third hole in some crapco berdan brass after I tightened the locking collet down as much as I could:cool:

This is the reason I recommend everyone start out with RCBS stuff... when you first start reloading you're going to break a lot of stuff, if they charge you money for all the replacement parts that adds up quick if you go with dillon, hornady or anyone else.

As for the nose punches... honestly, nobody does a nose punch that works 100%, You can make your own using a drill press and a file and sand paper, or a lathe. The other trick, is you can use JBweld to make your own punch noses also.

RCBS is good kit. But I have a little trick for you that will save money and time. Steel pop rivet pins are perfect decapping pins when cut off, buy a bag :cool:

Can't argue about RCBS Customer Service.

One question though, what caused the pin to break????

In all my years of loading, I've bent one pin and it was when I tried to deprime a berdan primed case.

For me it's not the fact that I can get free pins and de-capping rods, I hate not being able to use the die until the mail arrives.

For any questionable brass (range pickup mostly) I have a Lee Universal Depriming Die. Solid pin, almost like a punch. I deprime all brass that hasn't been through one of my guns first then give it a good cleaning in SS Pin media. Less crap buildup in my dies that way too. The depriming pin on the Lee Die is strong, strong enough that it punched a third hole in some crapco berdan brass after I tightened the locking collet down as much as I could:cool:

I like them but Lee decapping pins are far from unbreakable and they have stopped advertizing them as such. I have broken several and have a bag full of spares, now

I like them but Lee decapping pins are far from unbreakable and they have stopped advertizing them as such. I have broken several and have a bag full of spares, now

Unless you crank the locking collet down to "squeak when turned" the pin/rod/expander will merely climb out of the die when encountering berdan or crimped primers. Not like the dies where the pin is in a blind hole either a chuck or a t-pin with a cap. With those, just going too fast can bend them while the lee has a safety release in the form of the slip joint at the collet. BTW, Hornady New Dimension dies are also similar although they use a "flat thread" so it can be adjusted yet still slip under excess pressure.

I find that by just not forcing things when resistance is felt, things don't break. Now if my Son was doing it --------;)

Maybe but mine broke on Boxer 7.62 NATO brass.. yes they were crimped and I don't remember it feeling any different since resizing and depriming those cases takes some force, anyway

Yeah they need great customer service cause their dies are crap.
I went to Redding and have done 2-3 times the rounds with their dies and guess what?
never had to test their customer service.

RCBS Rock chucker rocks
RCBS dies suck.

YMMV

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR