JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Kinda like an electrician being asked if he preferred getting electricuted by an outlet or a light switch.
They both bite you.

As an electrician, I can tell you they do both hurt like heck! Now, if we're going to talk a difference between 120v, 277v and 480v, there is a real discussion. Never been touched by 480v thankfully, and only brushed 277v, my reaction was so severe to getting hit, in my response to pulling away, I hit a ceiling support wire and put it through my hand - the shock was over quickly, the pain and bleeding from the ceiling wire, not quite as quick.

But, I digress, back to the discussion of 9mm vs .45acp....sorry I meant .223 vs. 7.62x39...carry on.

As an electrician, I can tell you they do both hurt like heck! Now, if we're going to talk a difference between 120v, 277v and 480v, there is a real discussion. Never been touched by 480v thankfully, and only brushed 277v, my reaction was so severe to getting hit, in my response to pulling away, I hit a ceiling support wire and put it through my hand - the shock was over quickly, the pain and bleeding from the ceiling wire, not quite as quick.

But, I digress, back to the discussion of 9mm vs .45acp....sorry I meant .223 vs. 7.62x39...carry on.
I thought you sparkys knew better than to touch a hot wire :D

I knew an electrocution, er electrician who for a few decades used the handle of his fiberglass hung hammer to push in fuses. He was chatting away and absentmindedly stuck the hammer head in the box to push one in. In a 480V 600A box. He turned away as it popped, the frame of his glasses melted through his skin and he lost his vision in one eye and it knocked it back about 15 feet leaving burns on his hand and face (everything else was covered) Getting bit by 120V is not much of a problem, I have a healthy respect for big power though.

My own story.

I was hired to clean up a warehouse after a paper recycler vacated the building. I shut all the power off and pressure washed all the rafters and walls. A week later I went back and started turning all the power back on (I dont know why, there was no need to flip all the breakers) As I flipped one a atom bomb went off behind me in the middle of this 15,000 sq foot building and everything went black. I stumbled around trying to figure out what happened and couldn't.... So I flipped it again :D

This time I saw where the bomb went off and when to check it out. There was a box in the middle of the floor where a paper baler was that I had driven over with the forklift or something so it was smashed shorting out the wires inside. It had spider cracked the concrete for about 3' in every direction and left a small crater where the short occurred.

It was a 480V 1200A breaker. I know the machine had a couple of 150 HP motors and not sure what else.

Taught me a lesson, If a breaker is off and you dont know what it is.... Leave it off :D

I knew an electrocution, er electrician who for a few decades used the handle of his fiberglass hung hammer to push in fuses. He was chatting away and absentmindedly stuck the hammer head in the box to push one in. In a 480V 600A box. He turned away as it popped, the frame of his glasses melted through his skin and he lost his vision in one eye and it knocked it back about 15 feet leaving burns on his hand and face (everything else was covered) Getting bit by 120V is not much of a problem, I have a healthy respect for big power though.

My own story.

I was hired to clean up a warehouse after a paper recycler vacated the building. I shut all the power off and pressure washed all the rafters and walls. A week later I went back and started turning all the power back on (I dont know why, there was no need to flip all the breakers) As I flipped one a atom bomb went off behind me in the middle of this 15,000 sq foot building and everything went black. I stumbled around trying to figure out what happened and couldn't.... So I flipped it again :D

This time I saw where the bomb went off and when to check it out. There was a box in the middle of the floor where a paper baler was that I had driven over with the forklift or something so it was smashed shorting out the wires inside. It had spider cracked the concrete for about 3' in every direction and left a small crater where the short occurred.

It was a 480V 1200A breaker. I know the machine had a couple of 150 HP motors and not sure what else.

Taught me a lesson, If a breaker is off and you dont know what it is.... Leave it off :D
"...So I flipped it again"...lol :D

I thought you sparkys knew better than to touch a hot wire :D

The 277v was definitely not intentional - I was troubleshooting a problem circuit and someone (likely not an electrician) had somehow managed to tie a 277v hot to a neutral somewhere on the circuit. I thought I had all the power off, but it was fed by a line coming from a different tenant space in the building. I separated the neutrals under the wire nut and just brushed it with my hand - my one and only 277v contact and I'll never forget it.

The 277v was definitely not intentional - I was troubleshooting a problem circuit and someone (likely not an electrician) had somehow managed to tie a 277v hot to a neutral somewhere on the circuit. I thought I had all the power off, but it was fed by a line coming from a different tenant space in the building. I separated the neutrals under the wire nut and just brushed it with my hand - my one and only 277v contact and I'll never forget it.
I've got hit with 277 while up in the ceiling poking at those pesky VAV boxes and all those irritating wires :D

wonder if this is the guy who posted the same thing on akfiles,,,,,,

My own story.

Lock out! Tag out! :D

Vietnam vets I've talked to say that the enemy could take 2-3 556 rounds from their M16s. 7.62x39 seems to suggest that it has more power especially in penetrating barriers. Both these rifle cartridges would completely suck to get hit by. Would one rather have a SAW or a 240? I'd go with the 240.

There seems to be a consensus that it only takes one round from a M14.

M14=.308=7.62x39=Problem Solver
A lot of it does have to do with placement.. and ammo. In The Great Depression, Elmer Keith used some ball M1 173gr and match M2 30-06 and found them worthless on anything that breathed (same with .45acp ball).. much preferring to use the 150/152gr ball.
The present issue (since 2010) 5.56x45 M855A1 ammunition is widely held as awesome in all regards though.
Oh add. I'm pretty happy with the regular old fashioned 55gr ball.

Last Edited:
I dont shoot meat with my AR's or AK's. People or otherwise. Its a non issue for me. I find its fun to shoot paper no matter the size hole it makes.

Yes if the world came apart it would become necessary to press my pleasure plinkers into some kind of service.

If that comes to pass I will happily feed which ever one I can find sustenance for and feel fortunate I have options.

started losing its magic when they sped up the twist.....from 1:12 to 1:7 it performs much different in meat all else being equal
I am not they. Probably why the M855A1 is so magic now.. all things considered and "being equal". it works well out of present military rigs

that's the stuff....love Barns ! I haven't played with the tipped yet

this is a 53gr TSX I recovered from water jugs at 100 yards shot from an AR PISTOL, 8" Ballistic Advantage barrel, and it went 3 jugs deep so.....some people post math some people shoot and reload

The tipped is skookum......shooting and reloading affords us the privilege of not having to guess when it comes to boolits, wares, etc.

I dont know if I have the twist rate for it. Monolithics being less dense are longer for caliber.
got ya, yeah the length needed to make weight with copper can be different reloading as you know, considering some powders take up a bunch of room ....but I sure like em, worth figuring out
I really got sold on Barns in hunting ammo, quartered a nice meat elk from a ways 180 tsx from an -06 and it was impressive , didn't lose a grain and just drove....probably could have accomplished it with a core loct but everything about the Barnes was nicer

I know the 53gr TSX is just a barely a hair shorter than a HNDY 55gr FMJ

What twist rate and barrel length are you working with ?

More important than what caliber hits you is WHERE you are shot.

I know that in the case of the San Bernardino terror attack, some of the victims died from a single shot from a 5.56mm.

Yet, there was both one man who was shot 5 times by the terrorists, and also one woman, who was shot 3 times. And yet they both somehow managed to survive.

http://www.people.com/article/san-bernardino-shooting-survivor-kevin-ortiz-family-speaks-out

http://abc13.com/news/woman-shot-3-times-in-san-bernardino-attended-same-mosque-as-shooters/1113878/

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top