JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Wife had been shopping these for months. Must be 20 variations. I kept telling her it was her gun, get what you want. Only thing I suggested was get a threaded barrel now for a can later. Cheaper than threading later. She finally picked the "Tactical" stainless 16" tube one. Comes with 2 different stock inserts that are held on with a screw on the under side. They give different profiles for the cheek weld which is nice. Comes drilled and tapped with a 1913 rail included. She said she wanted the rail on. Since she was busy I got to try it first. Found right away that the rail is in the way of the sights. I could use them but for the sights and rail to be used together we will really have to put higher sights on it. Will let her decide on that. Slapped a cheapo red dot on it and of course at indoor range it was almost too easy. I was using some Butler Creek Steel lip 25 round mags. Rifle seemed to not care what ammo I used in it. Brought along 6 kinds and it liked them all as far as feeding. Barrel is threaded and they put a (to me) over the top looking flash hider on them. I told Wife I have a few 1/2 x 28 thread protectors she could pick from to use. She said she wanted the flash hider on there. So on it stayed. Had to put some blue Loctite on since it got lose shooting. Comes with an extended mag release already installed, nice. At indoor range .22 rifles are not really my thing but it was fun. Main thing is she likes it and will take it shooting. She has another 10/22 that was a special run for Wally many years ago with a 22 inch tube. This one came with the little back pack thing that holds the rifle taken apart and both stock pieces. Pretty neat little plinker. I will look forward to taking it out to where I can shoot it at some more distance. Main thing is Wife likes it and it will get her to the range for cheap fun.

I too am pretty smitten with the takedown, I have several of them and for a general plinking .22 I don't think they can be beat. The fact you can buy just about anything conceivable to change and improve them is a big part of that for me.

I too am pretty smitten with the takedown, I have several of them and for a general plinking .22 I don't think they can be beat. The fact you can buy just about anything conceivable to change and improve them is a big part of that for me.

That is a BIG part of why I have so many .22's made by Ruger. Not that others don't make a great gun. It's that Ruger has always seemed to be the one that EVERYONE makes stuff for. Probably has something to do with childhood too I suppose. first handgun I ever bought myself was an original Ruger auto. Well used, fixed sights, 4 inch tube. I LOVED that damn gun. Worked my teenage butt off to keep it in ammo. Must have sent a boxcar load of ammo through it. Often wish I had not let someone talk me out of it. Would be great to still have it to shoot now and then. Damn thing had almost no finish left on it by the time I let it go. Spent untold hours in the woods with it. Has had me always favoring Ruger.

What a great way to ease the wife into shooting. My experience is the .22 lets newer or timid shooters build confidence and have fun doing so.

What a great way to ease the wife into shooting. My experience is the .22 lets to newer or timid shooters build confidence and have fun doing so.

The old MKII 22/45 I have was for just that. When we were dating I bought it for her to teach her. Then bought her a little .38. Got her to get her CPL. She just really never got into guns much. Would go with me maybe every third or 4th trip to range and never wanted to stay. That kook shooting up that Mall north of us got her to carry all the time. Then she started going to the range again even when I was working which I was of course all over. VERY recoil sensitive so I always encouraged the .22's. Damn now she is talking about a Charger. I told her that's fine with me. If she gets one I will buy one of those braces for it to play with.

I think for us it was shooting the Rimfire Challenge which got my wife past the n00b stage. She sure had a good time and became confident in her skills. She shot a bit over 500rounds which would be significant if it was 9mm, but still, pulling the trigger 500+ times in one day can't hurt the skills :)

I know you all are talking 10/22, but mine has started misbehaving even though it has a lot of good parts. After about 100 rounds it gums up and starts with FTF/FTE.

We ended up with a new M&P 15-22 and it has been really impressive even after 3000+ rounds

The plastic s&w just felt toyish to me. I do have an AR 22 upper that goes on a milspec lower and like the realistic weight.

If your training noobs use a single shot or bolt.

Nothings funner than handing pro Joe, and his Uber $1.50 a shot gun his bubblegum, at the range with a little .22lr.

Fun little rifles. Congrats. Now let's see it. :)
Here's the latest additions to the family Ruger store. :)

Ruger.jpg

Cool beans. Like the folding rear buis. I have upgraded to the bx-25 two pack mag's. They seem very well built, and a great fit.

View attachment 378154
View attachment 378156

Sweet gun!! I got real excited back when Ruger said they were going to start making factory 25 rounder's. Before I bought one though I started seeing a lot of real negative reviews on them. Was hearing Ruger did not actually make these like the 10 round. That they farmed this out to some supplier and QA was very spotty. Some worked great but many were on par with the old Ram-Line. Has anyone heard did they (Ruger) clean up the QA on these? Did not want to order some at that price and chance getting something that did not work.

Sweet gun!! I got real excited back when Ruger said they were going to start making factory 25 rounder's. Before I bought one though I started seeing a lot of real negative reviews on them. Was hearing Ruger did not actually make these like the 10 round. That they farmed this out to some supplier and QA was very spotty. Some worked great but many were on par with the old Ram-Line. Has anyone heard did they (Ruger) clean up the QA on these? Did not want to order some at that price and chance getting something that did not work.

All I can say is that mine have worked just fine - no complaints.

I've owned and shot many BX-25 magazines. Never a failure. Interesting too, this is the only post I've ever read where the BX-25's were reported to be problematic.

I've owned and shot many BX-25 magazines. Never a failure. Interesting too, this is the only post I've ever read where the BX-25's were reported to be problematic.

Agreed. In fact, when it comes to magazine issues, I've heard plenty regarding problems with the Butler Creek mags, but don't recall any complaints for the BX-25 or BX-25/2

I have heard that the older rifles did not like them but were fine in the newer. But there is also an issue with the mag follower being too loose and causing the rounds to nose dive at the feed lips. There is a video on youtube using a 22 shell to fix it.

Agreed. In fact, when it comes to magazine issues, I've heard plenty regarding problems with the Butler Creek mags, but don't recall any complaints for the BX-25 or BX-25/2
Been a good while since the forum I was seeing complaints said anything more. So maybe they did fix whatever was going on. Will take a shot on a couple of them next mag order. See how they work then.

The bx-25 is an exact copy of the rotary 10 round mag on the business end. Gets better reviews or feedback than any other hi capacity mag's for the 10/22. At least that's what my research surmised. Mine are working great so far.

The bx-25 is an exact copy of the rotary 10 round mag on the business end. Gets better reviews or feedback than any other hi capacity mag's for the 10/22. At least that's what my research surmised. Mine are working great so far.
I just tossed one on an order for some mags to try. It was shortly after they hit and no one had them I had heard several complaining about them. Everyone had them on back order and as they started showing up so did the complaints on another forum. Then some "said" they had heard Ruger did not make them, that they were farmed out. This could be like so many things you read on line too. It was why I just never bothered to buy any after they finally were for sale everywhere.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews