JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

Hi all, I had a Sangean radio for over 12 years and it finally died. I want one that is antenna sensitive and battery as well as AC. Shortwave would be nice as well as AM and FM. We, at the coast, go for extended periods without electricity. I checked CC radio and Amazon but not enough information there and I don't want to bother sending the unit back, if not good enough for my wants. Please no wind-up toys.
So any info is greatly appreciated.
rocky

Hi all, I had a Sangean radio for over 12 years and it finally died. I want one that is antenna sensitive and battery as well as AC. Shortwave would be nice as well as AM and FM. We, at the coast, go for extended periods without electricity. I checked CC radio and Amazon but not enough information there and I don't want to bother sending the unit back, if not good enough for my wants. Please no wind-up toys.
So any info is greatly appreciated.
rocky

Grundigs are ok. There are much better receivers out there, but take a good battery backup and antenna array. Kenwood, yeasu, icom......

I have a simple Sangean AM / FM radio and they still seem like a good choice. The Kenwood, Icom and other ham radio brands are likely a step up, though I don't have any hands on experience with their receivers. Ham gear, quite a bit....

Edited to add - Icom has some pretty high-zoot stuff:

Receiver Products - Icom America

Just depends on what you're looking for.....

There are a lot of options out there. So far I have one of the little ETFR radios from county-comm that lives in my backpack. It's not perfect as the reception on FM is a bit wide (powerful stations easily overwhelm it) however for AM and SW it's been pretty good. I recently picked up a used grundig 355(?IIRC) and the receiver section is great, but the tuning knob seems to have some known issues, and there's an issue with the audio fading out periodically. I was looking at the tecsun PL-380 in that it has a small size, was <$50 and it seems to come with an extended antenna.

Amazon.com: TECSUN PL-380 DSP FM stereo. MW. SW. LW. World Band PLL Radio Receiver, LCD Display, ETM Function Added: Electronics

Another radio I have is some cheapy AM/FM/WB radio I picked up at walmart for $15, takes 3 D-batteries, has decent tuning. It might be more along the lines of what you're looking for, can't find it on the website.

I have plenty of batteries, sun doesn't do well at the coast. Electricity from power lines can be out for a week. Generator is only for freezer and refrigerator.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top