JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So a buddy of mine gave me a box of Hevishot Dead Coyote 3-1/2 12 gauge rounds. (Nice guy huh?) Anyway, they are T shot and I'm wondering if I can shoot them out of my 870. I have 2 choke tubes, Full and Modified, both are basically standard Remington choke tubes, not aftermarket. The tubes are labeled Lead or Steel Shot. Do I need a specific tube for this ammo or am I ok?

Thanks,

-Mike

Heavi shot isn't as hard as steel. You can shoot it out of tight chokes. Use the full or get a turkey choke for hunting coyotes with Heavi shot. I like the Patternmaster choke myself but there are plenty of good ones.

Yeah, I'll be hunting Coyotes so I'm thinking the full is what I'll need. My buddy uses his 223 and I have the shotgun. Thanks for getting back so quick.

-Mike

I don't quite know how to say this nicely, but you are completely wrong. Hevishot is as hard or harder than steel. It's main component is Tungsten, and that is what is used to drill steel. Using large pellet Coyote out of a tight choke is asking for a bridging disaster and a bulged barrel. Don't use anything tighter than a Mod for this and it will pattern Full. An extended choke will at least compresss the pellet column over a longer distance and put the worst pressure on the outside part of the choke itself where it is least likely to bulge your barrel.

I don't quite know how to say this nicely, but you are completely wrong. Hevishot is as hard or harder than steel. It's main component is Tungsten, and that is what is used to drill steel. Using large pellet Coyote out of a tight choke is asking for a bridging disaster and a bulged barrel. Don't use anything tighter than a Mod for this and it will pattern Full. An extended choke will at least compresss the pellet column over a longer distance and put the worst pressure on the outside part of the choke itself where it is least likely to bulge your barrel.

+1 on that!

Modified would be as tight as I would use with that load, it will probably pattern better anyhow. I personally use a 12 gauge 3" #4 Buck load with 41 pellets for coyotes with a modified choke. With this combo I've killed dogs out to 60 yards. I tried tighter chokes, but the pattern started to "spray" and open up with more choke constriction.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top