JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi, all! I was just wondering if any of you have used Dan Wesson revolvers that have the interchangeable barrel system, and if you'd used them in competition. The barrel system looks brilliant, to me... allowing one to set the cylinder gap by moving the barrel, then installing the shroud, and securing the whole thing with a nut on the end. The cylinder release appears to be on the crane, though, and I don't see how that wouldn't slow reloads down an awful lot.

https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/715-revolver/ Some good rotatable views of this system.

Dan-Wesson-715-1.jpg Dan-Wesson-715-2.jpg

If we ever have gun shows again, I'd love to inspect one of these, and see if my left pointer finger can reach the crane release... I'm left handed, so it could work.

Not formal, just informal competition - pin shooting and steel silhouette. The latter is where a lot of people used the DW revolvers, including their Super Mag cartridges. They were going to make one in 7-30 Waters IIRC, but it never made it to market.

Most accurate revolver I ever shot - due to the barrel being tensioned.

Do NOT use cast boolits with the ported barrels; the lead from the boolits, even with gas checks, will fill up the chamber around the ports and make it VERY difficult to get the shroud off. DW does caution against this.

They claim on the DW site, that some of the accuracy also comes from the lock on the crane causing the cylinder to line up better, more consistently and tighter.
I just really like that barrel design, for allowing easy adjustment of the barrel-cylinder gap. I'd probably want a non-ported one, though, so as not to be running "open" class.
I have an HK 416-22 ( Made by Umarex) that tensions the barrel, and is also super accurate. Might be something to that aspect, as well, so the vibration is constrained to the middle rather than the end.

I had a vintage Dan Wesson 357 Magnum revolver made in the original Monson facility and even though I liked the unique construction and the ability to swap barrels, the trigger was something I couldn't master so I sold it.

This is a 8" Dan Wesson .44 Magnum sold for the Silhouette market. (1980's?)

PC190354.JPG

It is the only .44 Magnum pistol I own. (I much prefer the .41). I own it for two reasons only: It was given to me, and it makes the .44 Magnum manageable for me.
I have never shot competition with it. However, I can say without a doubt that with their comparable optics, The Dan Wesson is more accurate at 50 and 100 yards than the Deerstalker resting below it here.

Was dry firing my 625 yesterday, after my new prescription shooting glasses came in... I've worked over the trigger a little, and man, that thing is sweet after playing with my old H&R. Smooth as butter....
Have to see if anyone has worked up a nice trigger on a DW.

If we ever have gun shows again, I'd love to inspect one of these, and see if my left pointer finger can reach the crane release... I'm left handed, so it could work.
It really shouldn't be that much slower than a Smith. Forget about your index finger, your left hand will release the cylinder, open it and dump the empties. Your right hand will be going for a speedloader once the latch has been pressed.

It really shouldn't be that much slower than a Smith. Forget about your index finger, your left hand will release the cylinder, open it and dump the empties. Your right hand will be going for a speedloader once the latch has been pressed.

On the Smith, ( and mind you I'm left handed) I do a strong hand reload. Support hand ( right) thumb hits the cylinder release, Support hand pointer pushes out the cylinder and locks it fully open, support hand middle finger hits the ejector and clears the empties, while strong hand has grabbed a moon and throws it at the gun. Transfer back to strong hand grip, strong hand pointer closes cylinder as gun is coming up on target.
My thinking on the DW, for what it's worth without playing with it more, is that my strong hand ( left) could possibly reach the release on the DW, and other than that change, it would be the same procedure. My reloads aren't super fast, yet, but they are improving; par times to fire 6, reload, and fire 6 more into an "A" box at 10 yards are around 10 seconds. Got a ways to go, to catch Jerry, yet. :)

On the Smith, ( and mind you I'm left handed) I do a strong hand reload. Support hand ( right) thumb hits the cylinder release, Support hand pointer pushes out the cylinder and locks it fully open, support hand middle finger hits the ejector and clears the empties, while strong hand has grabbed a moon and throws it at the gun. Transfer back to strong hand grip, strong hand pointer closes cylinder as gun is coming up on target.
My thinking on the DW, for what it's worth without playing with it more, is that my strong hand ( left) could possibly reach the release on the DW, and other than that change, it would be the same procedure. My reloads aren't super fast, yet, but they are improving; par times to fire 6, reload, and fire 6 more into an "A" box at 10 yards are around 10 seconds. Got a ways to go, to catch Jerry, yet. :)
Yea, you're on your own being a lefty.
Your off hand does most of the work if you're right handed.

I own three DW revolvers. Two early Monson made 6" 357's. A blued 15-2V6 and a rare early 715 (stainless) 6" without the full underlug. The third is another early production large frame 44V with a 8" barrel. That monster weighs in at 61oz unloaded and an absolute joy to shoot. It is also the most accurate revolver I own and I have a fair collection. The trigger is much better in the large frame. Totally different design. Similar to Ruger lockwork. The small frames aren't really similar to anything inside. Lol. I've been clear through them and tuned them a bit. Very interesting manual of arms but the action will never be on par with a S&W. Small and large frame both have a very short stroke in double action that can definitely be tricky to master. If you like to stage your DA shots you won't like the DW. SA on the small frames is average. Feels about like a Ruger to me. The SA on the large frames (44 Mag. Supermag models etc is superb.) I shoot my Smiths more and enjoy them more but I have a tender spot for the Dans too. My 44 must have a zillion rounds through it and quite a history. Much of the finish is worn off and the yoke has been replaced. It has the coolest patina I've ever seen. Some people pay to have theirs look battle worn. Mine comes by it honestly. Rough looking but an incredible shooting gun. Setting the barrel gap takes practice and usually more than one attempt. You set it with a feeler gauge but it will change as you tighten the shroud. Takes practice. I think every wheel gunner should own one DW though. .

A90BDBDD-322A-4E1E-A996-6BAABD0E8E51.jpeg E97A4A28-5BDB-4FE6-B16A-6C4908D0C3EA.jpeg 17C0F339-253C-4357-AF58-C941343F3C39.jpeg D9DA35E0-61C6-4EC3-B310-B5A9DA3BCFDF.jpeg

I agree with HDR. I own a Dan Wesson 15-2 8 inch and a High Standard Sentinel II made by DW.
The hammer drop time is quicker on a DW because of the shorter travel. One of their selling points. Triggers can be made better by a spring kit.
I don't think you could work the cylinder release with your left index finger because it locks rather tight. At least mine does.
Even haveing owned/shot Pythons, Diamondbacks and different S&Ws, I'll still take my DW 8" VL for accuracy and confidence. It just feels better.
CZ having bought up Dan Wesson, you can now buy a new DW made with all the modern technology in machining. Advantage to a great design.
Try this blog sight. https://www.danwessonforum.com/forum/

Last Edited:
I had a DW once. With only one barrel. After thinking about it.....What if......I was to buy another barrel and change the barrel length?

But then.....
I'd have to re-zero, every time I changed the barrel. F@*^ that. I sold it soon after (without buying another barrel). And, I had a difficult time selling it and barely broke even.

My thinking was.....
I got plenty of S&Ws to play with.

Looking back.....
I don't think that I regret that decision. BUT THEN......I've been wrong in the past.:eek:

Aloha, Mark

I grew up near the old stone factory in Monson, I always liked the fact that they locked up front and rear of the cylinder, I have had a few pistol packs in the past, all were exceptionally accurate. The Monson guns were much higher quality than the Palmer guns. I was sad to see the old original factory had been tore down since I had last seen it. There are quite a few on Gunbroker right now.

I don't think anyone would have a hard time selling a "Dan" now.
An 8 inch vented heavy barrel, shroud and nut assy alone in good shape is in the $250--$300 range.

As to barrels, a nice used 6" Vented heavy barrel (assembly) just went for $515 on eBay. A zebra wood stock went for $313. Since the design did not change, they are still serviced through new owner CZ. As to the trigger, it stacks like a Python, but is shorter. It takes a little pondering and some light-handed work, but they can be slicked up fairly well. They time like a Python does: the hand preloading the cylinder slightly against the bolt for zero rotational play. Actually, the hand is the only part on the gun that is fitted - designer Karl Lewis also designed the Colt Trooper Mk III when he was at Colt.

Back when silhouette was big, DW's ruled the game. Then, semis and ISPC hit.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top