JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Quick question for any OR permit holders. I live in WA state and have a WA permit and an Arizona CCW permit. The WA permit required no test or qualification, the AZ permit required 8 hours classroom on handgun safety, laws, use of force as well as a live fire handgun shooting qualification. The class was conducted by an instructor that was both NRA certified and AZ POST (Peace Officer Standards and Training board) certified.

My question is this. Does my AZ permit training meet the requirement of the Oregon permit education requirement? ORS 166.261 includes the following 2 statements below as pertaining to the training requirement.

(C) Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the
general public offered by law enforcement, community college, or private or public
institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the
National Rifle Association or a law enforcement agency if handgun safety was a
component of the course;

(G) Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a
firearms instructor certified by a law enforcement agency or the National Rifle
Association if handgun safety was a component of the course;

If any of you have met the Oregon qualification with another states training, especially if it was Arizona’s, I would appreciate the feedback. I don’t want to drive down from Seattle next week only to find out they won’t accept the AZ training. (I have also done the Maryland Police online course safety thing as someone suggested, but I find it hard to believe they would accept that over the AZ class). Whatever works I’m for it. Thanks everyone! - G

As far as I know if you have the certificate from the training for the Arizona (NRA certified instructor) it should work but I believe that there is a six month limit from certificate issued to applying for the Oregon permit.

<broken link removed>

I also think the AZ is acceptable depending on how long ago you took the class. Call the sheriff's office and see if they'll take it.

Thanks for all the replies and input everyone. Talked with the very nice lady at the Sherrifs concealed permit office and she said the AZ training and documentation would be sufficient since the AZ CPL instructor was certified by the AZ. Dept of Public Safety (AZ State Police).

Off to Portland on Monday I go. Thanks again gang! -G

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads