JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The thread Felon with restored rights and CHl got me thinking about this.
I know someone who started the process of having his firearm rights restored. I also know him as a violent individual with a serious anger issue, though I don't believe he's ever been arrested for any of this. How do I know? I've seen him smash equipment when he couldn't figure out how to disconnect it to reset, I've seen him damn near rip a door off the wall trying to get out of a room, and another acquaintance told me about him putting his fist through a wall when he got pissed at something else.
How he still has his job is beyond me. If he worked at my company, he'd have been gone the first time he said GFY to the customer.
Do I trust this man? Hell no.
Do I always have my guard up whenever I'm around him? Heck yes.
Would I feel safe if this guy owned firearms? No. I think he's first in line for "next person to go postal".

What would you do, just let it play and let the legal system do its work?

I guess it all depends on what he did to collect a felony in the first place. I've come across guys who are short tempered in my opinion, exhibit outward signs of violence, yet seem to understand that guns are not a way to settle a score, make a point etc.

On the other hand, I've been around people still working on that first felony who I avoid like the plague; the proverbial ticking time bomb.

We are a free nation governed by the rule of law, we have legal procedures which allow felons to regain freedoms lost and to demonstrate they can be law-abiding. I'm not sure you can do much, if anything, to short-circuit that, short of showing up at the restoration hearing and raising hell. Even then, gun rights restoration is usually proscribed by statute. I doubt even the most vociferous prosecutor's office can override the fact that a person seeking restoration has met the criteria for restoration.

No one can ever tell what another person will do no matter what that person says, or signals, they may do.

For those who cross the line and get caught, if they qualify for a second chance, it's a do-over. To answer your question, I'd say let's see how the do-over works out.

Thanks for your replies. Yes, I thought I'd let it play out too.
Though I'm uncomfortable with the thought of him having a gun, I also don't believe in stepping between a man & that right, nor sticking my nose in his business. Finally, if he really wanted a gun, I believe he'd say " 'eff the law" and get one.
I carry as much as I can, though the places I work *all* have very strict NO FIREARM policies. I like my job....
From conversations, I gather he had a pretty violent youth, larceny and meth dealing. The fighting and thievery is no big deal to me because I certainly had a sketchy youth.
I think about how high strung he is now, and shudder to think what he might have been like on meth.

In Washington, restoration of firearm rights is an entitlement and is not discretionary so you couldn't interfere even if you wanted to.

Don't know about other states.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads