JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Moving to a new place where we will be keeping an eye on a large ground at night, about 100 Acres or so. Since its almost all no lights out there was going to get a set of glass that works to see at night. Don't need something "ninja" not going into battle here, just want something that would let me see if there is someone I need to chase off or if its just 4 legged critters I hear. So, was looking at something like this? Know absolutely zero about this stuff.

These show they run on standard batteries so I can just recharge them. Any down side to these compared to something else?
[h3][/h3]

CREATIVE XP Digital Night Vision Binoculars for 100% Darkness - Save Photos & Videos with Audio – 4x35 mm Infrared Spy Gear for Hunting & Surveillance – Large Screen & 1000ft Viewing Range – 32GB Card

What is your budget?

I ask because it's like trying on a $1000 motorcycle helmet and then trying buy that $275 helmet afterwards...it just plain sucks.

We bought a PVS14 from Optics Planet because they are in stock and there is no 22-26 week lead time like TNVS. Granted the later is slightly better in quality, but also about 2x the price.

What is your budget?

I ask because it's like trying on a $1000 motorcycle helmet and then trying buy that $275 helmet afterwards...it just plain sucks.

We bought a PVS14 from Optics Planet because they are in stock and there is no 22-26 week lead time like TNVS. Granted the later is slightly better in quality, but also about 2x the price.
Did not even think to mention that. The set I have on my list at Amazon is a couple hundred. I "could" spend 1K but, as I mentioned I am not going to war here. All I really want is something that would show me that if the motion detection tells me something is there I can see is it 4 legged or 2 legged.

Did not even think to mention that. The set I have on my list at Amazon is a couple hundred. I "could" spend 1K but, as I mentioned I am not going to war here. All I really want is something that would show me that if the motion detection tells me something is there I can see is it 4 legged or 2 legged.
In all honesty it will be the difference between you actually seeing something for what it is and not being sure what it is. We have thermal and NV, and while we are also not going to war here, after much research ended up paying $2500 for the NV and $2000 for the TI. Our use is for identifying things within the 300 yard range but our property goes out approx 1000 yards in all directions.

Buy once, cry once.

In all honesty it will be the difference between you actually seeing something for what it is and not being sure what it is. We have thermal and NV, and while we are also not going to war here, after much research ended up paying $2500 for the NV and $2000 for the TI. Our use is for identifying things within the 300 yard range but our property goes out approx 1000 yards in all directions.

Buy once, cry once.
Wow, well I guess I will not bother then. It would be nice but if I have to spend a couple K I can do it the old way. Walk out there and see. Was hoping the "tech" had gotten better and cheaper, guess it has not.

I don't have the hands on experience to recommend something, but I have kept my eye on NVD/thermal optics for years as I eventually want to get something.

My impression is that there are a number of factors that you will get more if you pay more:

1) Resolution - pay more to get finer resolution and defintion
2) Distance that you can determine what it is you are seeing
3) Things like battery life, external vid/snapshot, etc. - i.e., bells and whistles

You won't get a whole lot of those characteristics for a few hundred dollars, or even $1K. However, since you are probably going for handheld and not a weapon mounted sight, you might be able to get something adequate for your purpose for $1K or less. I recommend getting optics that use FLIR sensors/etc., or even a FLIR product itself:

I recommend you checkout the many many vids of products on Youtube to see what they are capable of.

Wow, well I guess I will not bother then. It would be nice but if I have to spend a couple K I can do it the old way. Walk out there and see. Was hoping the "tech" had gotten better and cheaper, guess it has not.
It is much cheaper than it used to be, and better too, but it is still somewhat expensive. I recall when I was looking at it in the 80s that what you can buy now for $$$$ used to be $$$$$, so yes, the prices have come down by an order of magnitude and now they are mixing thermal with NV, better resolution, more durable, longer lasting and some nice features like image/vid capture.

I don't have the hands on experience to recommend something, but I have kept my eye on NVD/thermal optics for years as I eventually want to get something.

My impression is that there are a number of factors that you will get more if you pay more:

1) Resolution - pay more to get finer resolution and defintion
2) Distance that you can determine what it is you are seeing
3) Things like battery life, external vid/snapshot, etc. - i.e., bells and whistles

You won't get a whole lot of those characteristics for a few hundred dollars, or even $1K. However, since you are probably going for handheld and not a weapon mounted sight, you might be able to get something adequate for your purpose for $1K or less. I recommend getting optics that use FLIR sensors/etc., or even a FLIR product itself:

I recommend you checkout the many many vids of products on Youtube to see what they are capable of.
That FLIR really does suck...bad. One of my skillsets is being a certified Thermographer using the tool for non destructive testing of buildings as well as building commissioning. That being said, we bought about the lowest end TI I could stand dealing with, and that being the AGM Taipan TM25. If I was to do it again, I would have bought the one with less zoom.

Mrs308 likes the TI, but I prefer the NV. Each has it's weaknesses, for example we have night camouflage and while it can defeat the NV, there aint no hiding from the TI. On the other hand, all one need do to defeat the TI is hide behind glass or a reflective surface of some sort.

Thermal:

NV:

19D4821B-5A52-4EAF-B8A8-649AFF0DFC3A.jpeg

6912CAD7-910C-4036-BBC3-E690B989B258.jpeg

Last Edited:
If you are trying to stay cheap, get a white light spotlight with a tight beam, you can use your regular binos that way.

For what you describe, thermal would be a better choice, and you're looking at several thousand dollars minimum in that case.

That FLIR really does suck...bad. One of my skillsets is being a certified Thermographer using the tool for non destructive testing of buildings as well as building commissioning. That being said, we bought about the lowest end TI I could stand dealing with, and that being the AGM Taipan TM25. If I was to do it again, I would have bought the one with less zoom.

Mrs308 likes the TI, but I prefer the NV. Each has it's weaknesses, for example we have night camouflage and while it can defeat the NV, there aint no hiding from the TI. On the other hand, all one need do to defeat the TI is hide behind glass or a reflective surface of some sort.

Thermal:
You get what you pay for, I was looking at what could be had for under $1K and as I said, I do not have hands on experience with any of these devices. I don't think there is anything out there for a few hundred that will accomplish what the OP wants. split the diff to $500-$1K and then maybe, but not that likely.

If you are trying to stay cheap, get a white light spotlight with a tight beam, you can use your regular binos that way.

For what you describe, thermal would be a better choice, and you're looking at several thousand dollars minimum in that case.
Works for clear weather, not inclement, which here on the mountain is about 6 months of the year. Also, usually not good for brush or other cover - if I were an intruder and I saw a spotlight I could easily hide in most areas except maybe a football field or a parking lot or bare dirt - even then, at a distance, with shadows, laying flat on the ground might work, at a distance.

You get what you pay for, I was looking at what could be had for under $1K and as I said, I do not have hands on experience with any of these devices. I don't think there is anything out there for a few hundred that will accomplish what the OP wants. split the diff to $500-$1K and then maybe, but not that likely.
The ATN Thor HD scope series (a few years old) will accomplish what the OP is interested in very well, but that's several thousand. As thermal imagers get cheaper, the clarity drops and the distance with which they can register thermal signatures drops.

I hear you. If I were to do it again, I'd buy the following with less zoom. The model below this one does not have a focus ring, and that is an important feature.

Works for clear weather, not inclement, which here on the mountain is about 6 months of the year. Also, usually not good for brush or other cover - if I were an intruder and I saw a spotlight I could easily hide in most areas except maybe a football field or a parking lot or bare dirt - even then, at a distance, with shadows, laying flat on the ground might work, at a distance.
Thermal will work in weather because the temperature of the surroundings will still be lower than the alive subject he is trying to accomplish look at. It's the contrast in heat signatures that matters.

A big misconception about night vision is that people can just see everything in the dark. That's not the case, there are still shadows with night vision use and if someone is utilizing cover to hide from being seen, they could still do that to avoid night vision, the main difference, is that with night vision it isn't as obvious as a white light that someone is looking for them. However, at greater distances, without good ambient light, or a IR illuminator, the night vision wouldn't show the potential person anyway.

Or maybe buy a trail cam? Or heck even a Ring doorbell or three and nail them to some trees. As long as you have WiFi they'll alert you to movement and have enough resolution to let you know how many legs a critter has.

Thermal:

NV:

View attachment 990599

View attachment 990600
how'd you mount the streamlight to the top of the bump helmet?

I zip tied mine to the side of a ballistic helmet set up for a PVS14.

how'd you mount the streamlight to the top of the bump helmet?

I zip tied mine to the side of a ballistic helmet set up for a PVS14.
It's velcroed on. Their promo indicates it will clip on, but thats not the case for the Team Wendy non-ballistic helmet. Zipties are a better option as you have done.

Thermal will work in weather because the temperature of the surroundings will still be lower than the alive subject he is trying to accomplish look at. It's the contrast in heat signatures that matters.
Agreed - I was referring to the spotlight. And then there is the suggestion of getting an infrared spotlight to extend the range of an NVD.

What is your budget?

I can bring myself to deal with Optics Planet. Here's an alternative, he's been in the business something like 30 years.
https://www.jrhenterprises.com/Phot...ECHO-SPEC-monocular-nvdphotonis14ECHOspec.htm

Also White Phoshor is the way to go, better contrasts than green.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top