Sporting Systems
HighLine Firearms
Low Price Guns
Advertise on Northwest Firearms
Southwest Firearms
Gun Deals
Oregon Rifleworks
Reactions
Speaking of which, one should para chord or other wise secure their NODs to their helmet/headgear to avoid their loss and/or damage should they get knock off their mount.

Reactions
I have thermal and night vision goggles. Thermal is useless through brushes and woods unless out in your line of sight.

Night vision is great but has it's limitations.

Realize that if someone is out there at night then will likely be using a flashlight or headlamp and thus giving away their position.

Reactions
I have thermal and night vision goggles. Thermal is useless through brushes and woods unless out in your line of sight.

Night vision is great but has it's limitations.

Realize that if someone is out there at night then will likely be using a flashlight or headlamp and thus giving away their position.
I thought thermal was better when foliage was involved - guess I was wrong? Interesting.

I thought thermal was better when foliage was involved - guess I was wrong? Interesting.
It is better than NV when foliage is involved. NV can be easily defeated with camouflage, but thermal registers variations in heat energy...some materials emit that energy faster than others, but the human body is staying a relative constant temp. Other inanimate objects dump their heat to the ether once the sun goes down.

BUT...Thermal CANNOT see through glass, so carry an old windshield as part of your bugout kit ...lol

Reactions
Wow, well I guess I will not bother then. It would be nice but if I have to spend a couple K I can do it the old way. Walk out there and see. Was hoping the "tech" had gotten better and cheaper, guess it has not.
Ya. The good tech has gotten better, and the cheap tech has gotten cheaper, but the good tech has not gotten cheap, ha.
:p

Reactions
BUT...Thermal CANNOT see through glass, so carry an old windshield as part of your bugout kit ...lol
Check 👍

So-MD-auto-glass-replacement.jpg

Reactions
Thermal doesn't see through things. It detects heat. It requires a direct line of sight to work. I can't see my buddy 20 yards in the woods with it unless we happen to line up just right with no obstruction of trees, brush, etc.

I can see him in the open for a long ways however.

It would be better for the dessert.

Reactions
I don't have the hands on experience to recommend something, but I have kept my eye on NVD/thermal optics for years as I eventually want to get something.

My impression is that there are a number of factors that you will get more if you pay more:

1) Resolution - pay more to get finer resolution and defintion
2) Distance that you can determine what it is you are seeing
3) Things like battery life, external vid/snapshot, etc. - i.e., bells and whistles

You won't get a whole lot of those characteristics for a few hundred dollars, or even $1K. However, since you are probably going for handheld and not a weapon mounted sight, you might be able to get something adequate for your purpose for $1K or less. I recommend getting optics that use FLIR sensors/etc., or even a FLIR product itself:

I recommend you checkout the many many vids of products on Youtube to see what they are capable of.
Might wanna have a look at the one star ratings on this, if anyone intends to buy one

Sporting Systems
Cerberus Training Group
Southwest Firearms
Copeland Custom Gunworks
Advertise on Northwest Firearms
Pacwest Defense

Upcoming Events

Rimfire Challenge July 31st @ DRRC
Eagle Creek, OR
22 Rimfire Challenge
Redmond, OR

Latest Resource Reviews