JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@Alexx1401 , did you get anything yet?
Not yet. We finally got completely moved in here and got the basement FULL of boxes. Did get the exterior cameras up. After doing more reading I "kind of" understand how this works now. My exterior cameras use IR to "see at night" and I never paid any attention to how this worked. I will have to try something along the lines of what sobo bought. When I do I will share some shots of how they work out here.

Thermal will work in weather because the temperature of the surroundings will still be lower than the alive subject he is trying to accomplish look at. It's the contrast in heat signatures that matters.

A big misconception about night vision is that people can just see everything in the dark. That's not the case, there are still shadows with night vision use and if someone is utilizing cover to hide from being seen, they could still do that to avoid night vision, the main difference, is that with night vision it isn't as obvious as a white light that someone is looking for them. However, at greater distances, without good ambient light, or a IR illuminator, the night vision wouldn't show the potential person anyway.

Interesting, the premise is already there, just have something between you and the thermal lens that completely blocks the transmission of heat. An insulated blanket with a thin metal exterior would accomplish the same thing for a period of time. Doesn't seem sustainable though since anything that blocks heat would also be a crazy good insulator and it'd be hot as Hades in there before long.

Ad hominem attack

Why don't you tell us what you think is incorrect in the article, an how it is incorrect, instead of just saying you don't like it?
My opinion about the article has zero to do with you, so you probably should not get triggered unless you want to. It simply reads like a 12 year old wrote it....like many opinion pieces nowadays.

Anything digital night vision and cheap is going to be the equivalent of a child's toy.

Night vision I prefer tubes over digital but there are some decent high end digital devices.

Thermal takes some getting used to but you can see a lot more. It's not good for specifics you can identify if it's a dog, human, etc but not see faces or clothing markings generally like high quality tube night vision (where you can see more like normal vision)

Anything rechargeable that has lithium ion batteries is going to be useless in the cold…I did a lot of research on thermals and went with one that took batteries due to all the complaints of their scopes being useless when hunting

I've gotten some decent older 1.5gen tube type binoculars off auctions might try your luck on eBay and such. I currently have a set called "night sentry" by atn..You can see out 100-150 yards with the Illumination just have to figit with the focus and deal with the black spots that are common to cheaper tubes.

Interesting, the premise is already there, just have something between you and the thermal lens that completely blocks the transmission of heat. An insulated blanket with a thin metal exterior would accomplish the same thing for a period of time. Doesn't seem sustainable though since anything that blocks heat would also be a crazy good insulator and it'd be hot as Hades in there before long.
There's also paints and weapons coatings that basically make weapons and gear nearly invisible in traditional night vision….and clothing treatments and methods of hiding or breaking up thermal signature has been used in military for years

How to hide from thermal vision

IIRC, as mentioned by others, there are treatments on clothing & material that interferes with TI. I bought some years ago, but don't know anybody who has TI to test it.

IIRC, as mentioned by others, there are treatments on clothing & material that interferes with TI. I bought some years ago, but don't know anybody who has TI to test it.
Drive up to Seattle, we can play hide and seek.

I'm curious how a spray on would negate thermal signature. I could see how some sort of metal powder on the exterior of fabrics would do a good job because the conduction of the metal powder would keep things colder than the inside of an insulated surface.

Looking at that link you shared about hiding from thermal. What was very unsurprising was just the explanation of a barrier use. It's like hiding from anything, if you put a visual block between you and what you are hiding from, they won't see you. Where thermal wins is when someone is laying completely in the open hoping to be camouflaged by color contrast alone.

Last Edited:
Thermal Imaging detects emitted radiation from any heat source. If it is a human or any other animal that emitted heat is ongoing.

The only way to mitigate detection is to reflect that heat back to the source. Inanimate objects absorb solar radiation during the day and then releases that energy back into the ether once the sun goes down, and depending on that material type, that heat is released faster or slower. This is why rocks remain warmer longer than wood for example. Lava rock releases heat immediately because of the massive surface area.

There are two types of material that can defeat thermal; Glass and Reflective Surfaces like aluminum or stainless steel. All other material will either allow heat to pass through and be clearly detected or allow that heat to be dispersed in such a way that the actual shape of the subject is not clear. For example I found an animal of some sort hiding under a pile of tarps out in the shed area of our property…it was clearly a mammal of some sort, but the heat signature was dispersed enough I could not clearly ID the target. Point is a shotgun blast would have eliminated the target.

If one understands TI, then one can hide from it, but out in the open one is going to be toast.

zlv044nty3881.png

Moving to a new place where we will be keeping an eye on a large ground at night, about 100 Acres or so. Since its almost all no lights out there was going to get a set of glass that works to see at night. Don't need something "ninja" not going into battle here, just want something that would let me see if there is someone I need to chase off or if its just 4 legged critters I hear. So, was looking at something like this? Know absolutely zero about this stuff.

These show they run on standard batteries so I can just recharge them. Any down side to these compared to something else?
[h3][/h3]

CREATIVE XP Digital Night Vision Binoculars for 100% Darkness - Save Photos & Videos with Audio – 4x35 mm Infrared Spy Gear for Hunting & Surveillance – Large Screen & 1000ft Viewing Range – 32GB Card

Vid. A little deceptive because of the Field snow cover. Reflection of IR supplement off snow is amplified and makes IR results far better than Average .

When using a average grade gen3 NOD device . Snow on the ground . it is like a bright summer day out at night using No IR supplement and you have to turn the Gain way down . Gen3 NV scope you have to barely lift the Obj. cover up and it summertime bright out.

If you just want to keep an eye-Out on your property at night . then just get a handheld Thermal unit , with 1x or 2x Max. base magnification with a good FOV . you will see 10x more spotting with it , than any NV or Digital unit. Spotting is everything , no matter what your endgame is.

What do you consider the lowest end of good night vision weapon scopes? I've been thinking about getting one but am pretty clueless on what is good versus all the cheap garbage on the market.
Idk about the digital night vision, everything I've tried that was sub 300 dollars or so reminded me of the goggles that came with the war video game…yeah they work to see in the dark (barely) but cheesy as fk and a tiny view screen. Anything higher end I looked at (like the smart scopes) had horrible reviews especially with the built in batteries dying in cold. I used to have some older Russian tube type rifle scopes that were pretty good for out to 50-75 yards or so just spotty (you get black spots in tubes and the older/cheaper the more there are basically) -they would probably work better in moonlight or with a strong ir spotlight that's just how far I could identify my targets in the condition we were using them in. So budget I'd personally go with older or milsurp tube type nv- if they're taken care of they seem to last a long time

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top