Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Question About my AR15

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by knight182, Sep 19, 2011.

1. knight182

knight182 Sweet Home, Oregon Member

PROBLEM SOLVED, PLEASE DELETE

2. vmkeith

vmkeith Vancouver, Washington, United States Member

It's pretty hard to really see what your talking about with the pics you posted. A pic of the entire upper might help more. As for the handguard, all the free floating forearms/handguards/tubes I've seen attach to the barrel nut and that's it. What you have is one of the free floating tubes by YHM...here's a link to their website, and maybe you can narrow down which one you have.

Forearms : YHM, Yankee Hill Machine Co., Inc. | Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors, Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors

Oh, and by the way...if it is one of the YHM free floating tubes, you're fine. It's suppose to be like that.

3. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

Looks like a free float tube, only guess man is maybe not quite tightened all the way?? YHM stuff is usually good for the price.

4. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

It's a free floating hand guard and a certain amount of flex is normal. If the hand guard rotates then it's is loose and needs attention.

5. 22many

22many PNW Well-Known Member

I have seen end caps available that cover that area if it's unattractive to you.

6. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

I have the yhm lightweight one and it came with the endcap. You can buy them from yhm http://yhm.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_4_51&products_id=26
    Judging from the pics it looks like your foreend doesn't cover the gas block however, so you'll probably need to knock off the gas block to install an end cap since they are 1 piece. Personally I'd leave it as-is and just make sure the handguard is tightened properly.

7. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

JSE Surplus

had good luck with these guys for YHM products too.

8. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

that would be my guess to , hard to say by the photos but i own one and its rock solid

9. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

It's totally normal to have some flex. (Free floating rail)

If it rattles or twist, then Barrel nut/rail bolts are loose. I recommend to use new barrel nut, do not re-use.

10. HappyRoman

HappyRoman Sherwood Forest Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have a set of the plastic forearm hand guards, off of my DPMS std 16' upper. They can be yours for $15, and WE can snap them in if you have the front ring in place and the rear spring retainer.. thanks, Sandy 503-293-0714