JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The newbie (me) was recently renting various 9mm pistols, and then on a separate occasion various .45 pistols. For the .45's, I shot a HK45, then a Kimber, and finally a Springfield XDm. I noticed that I was shooting consistently low with the HK45, and attributed it to perhaps the gun not being right for me since I was shooting far better with the Kimber and the XDm.

I then found the attached graphic on the HKPRO forums.

So, newbie question. How much variance is there in the expected aiming method across the manufacturers? Is it simply read the manual?

I think I'll have to explicitly ask when renting each type of pistol.

holds.jpg

Ive heard of the bottom 2 for handguns, and the top for rifles, so I may have just learned something new!

The 6:eek:o hold or "Target" sight picture typicaly found on target pistols, and revolvers were the bullet impacts at the TOP of the front sight or at "6:00" .
millitt sighted older 1911 S&W Duty Revolvers with a rear "BLADE" and a front "Ramp" Ruger target "bull" bbl .22lr ect...

The lower picture were the front sight covers the bullett impact is called the "Combat", or "Cover" Sight picture on MST modern defensive pistols , Glock, Sig, Beretta Ect...
The "2-Dot" type sights and night sights are typicly "cover" sight picture.

The easiest way to check is to shoot them using the noted pictures and see were the impact is. One will be right on unless there are "other issues" not sight related.

NOTE: A very commom shooting/er error is to fire and instantly look for the holes. If you have a good group but it's just a "bit' low this may be the issue I would sugest proper instruction in sighting and shooting
in your case this is not likely as you noted it was just the ONE gun shooting low.

Respectfully,

ORSECTRAIN
"Be Safe Out There!"

Was just shooting my XDm 9mm and HK45 yesterday. Shot about 100 rounds from the XDm then switched to the .45. It did take me a mag or two to get back into the groove with the different sight set ups. XD is 6 O'clock and HK is cover what you want to hit. It was kind of fun to switch back and forth and see if you could keep your accuracy. Two fantastic guns!

Even the vendors are confused.
ON my XD40 - I believe the manual says 6 oclock and then there is another article from them to cover it.
Figure out what works for you and your stance

I grew up being told to do the pumpkin on a post (usually rifles, yes)....took me a long time to get into the cover your target with the post and imagine the dot is the pumpkin. then they go and change things around lol.

With my XDm 9mm and my style of shooting, i do best with covering the target with the post at close range (10-15 yards), half centering the target with the post at 15-25, and doing the pumpkin on a post out 30-50 yards. we were hitting pretty regularly at 80-100 yards one day, but i really couldn't see the bullseye so it was more point and dump the mag. 20 rounds makes for decent odds :D

i prefer the pumpkin on a post style myself......I blame my youth, kind of got it programmed into me lol.

I use POI , center mass for every pistol and revolver. I seem to hit where I aim.

I've also used Float the dot, Shoot the shot for quick target aquistion ( Cover hold). Less precise but still hit the target.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top