JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Unfortunately I sometimes find myself in health care establishments. Providence and Kaiser come to mind. And every time I log into their free public Wi-Fi, I'm disturbed that this site, as well as some others, are on their banned list and I'm prevented from opening these sites.

I was at Fuddruckers recently, and Northwest Firearms is also banned from their free Wi-Fi service.

WAYNO.

Unfortunately I sometimes find myself in health care establishments. Providence and Kaiser come to mind. And every time I log into their free public Wi-Fi, I'm disturbed that this site, as well as some others, are on their banned list and I'm prevented from opening these sites.

I was at Fuddruckers recently, and Northwest Firearms is also banned from their free Wi-Fi service.

WAYNO.

That is odd. I have to "guess" that the filters they use are stopping it only because of the "firearms" name in it. Next time you're there try something like the gun sites for the manufacturers see if that goes through. I guess since it's their bandwidth they can set the rules. I have to wonder if they are specifically after something like this site or the word firearms.

Haven't tried in a Providence or Kaiser facility, but have had no trouble at Legacy and OHSU facilities reaching NWFA.

Makes me wonder why they block at all. So what if someone wants to read a FA forum, what's the big deal?

But yeah, their WiFi, their rules. We just recently switched our plan over to an unlimited data plan, so if I don't like what a local WiFi puts on me for restrictions, I can switch to regular data. At least they aren't blocking me from accessing sites like this....yet.

@WAYNO

Get yourself a VPN host.

Search around NWFA, there are a couple of recommendations.

Why you should start using a VPN

VPN

Search Results for Query: VPN | Northwest Firearms - Oregon, Washington, and Idaho Gun Owners

This is the deal I bought

VPN Unlimited: Lifetime Subscription | The Awesomer Shop

It is not perfect.
But compared to company provided VPN I have it works well enough.

A couple of things I ran into-
1. My bank (FirstTech*) detects that I am not at my usual haunts and starts all kinds of extra authentication. That is a feature of any VPN, you appear somewhere else.
2. My Comcast (xfinity) DVR wont' stream my sports. Normally I can stream my DVR into my study or to the garage - but not while connected to the VPN tunnel.
That is a feature of Comcast. Just something to be aware of.
3. The initial creation of the tunnel takes a "long long" time in this nano-second world I have become accustomed too.

Last Edited:
That is odd. I have to "guess" that the filters they use are stopping it only because of the "firearms" name in it. Next time you're there try something like the gun sites for the manufacturers see if that goes through. I guess since it's their bandwidth they can set the rules. I have to wonder if they are specifically after something like this site or the word firearms.

I do think you are correct that "firearms" is in their parameters for rejection, as another forum I frequent, rugerforum.com, is allowed.

Further, the first time I discovered this public filtering in a hospital, neither NWFA or Ruger Forum were allowed, but on subsequent visits, only NWFA was disallowed.

Yep, their WiFi service, and their rules. Doesn't mean I agree or like it. I cannot always limit my participation of medical providers in spite of their anti gun views, but restaurants or other anti gun businesses, I can certainly stay away from.

I do think you are correct that "firearms" is in their parameters for rejection, as another forum I frequent, rugerforum.com, is allowed.

Further, the first time I discovered this public filtering in a hospital, neither NWFA or Ruger Forum were allowed, but on subsequent visits, only NWFA was disallowed.

Yep, their WiFi service, and their rules. Doesn't mean I agree or like it. I cannot always limit my participation of medical providers in spite of their anti gun views, but restaurants or other anti gun businesses, I can certainly stay away from.

YES!!! ANY business that throws up any anti gun anything will see none of my money if there is any alternative. I will let them know nicely in writing that they are selecting to tell me they do not want my money or my families money.

YES!!! ANY business that throws up any anti gun anything will see none of my money if there is any alternative. I will let them know nicely in writing that they are selecting to tell me they do not want my money or my families money.

Are you saying that you don't want health care for you and your family members if the hospital wifi access points filter all of the firearm related forums? You can write them but they will probably not change. I am sure you wouldn't.

Last Edited:
You can also usually connect straight ti the IP address, which is 23.239.2.191. Blocking is usually done via
DNS which translates the name to the IP address. No DNS no blockie.

I had a problem with my Comcast router. All of a sudden it would block NWF?
The tech came to my house. Used his portable hotspot and NWF worked.
Called his supervisor and worked on it for quite a while and could not figure
it out? He replaced the router and it worked.o_O

Haven't tried in a Providence or Kaiser facility, but have had no trouble at Legacy and OHSU facilities reaching NWFA.

Makes me wonder why they block at all. So what if someone wants to read a FA forum, what's the big deal?

But yeah, their WiFi, their rules. We just recently switched our plan over to an unlimited data plan, so if I don't like what a local WiFi puts on me for restrictions, I can switch to regular data. At least they aren't blocking me from accessing sites like this....yet.
Blue at Kaiser. Noticed it so decided to push it a bit and went to the Tannerite website and had no problem. Then went on Wikipedia and searched C-4 and had no problem. Figured they would be more likely to ban those with the recent events.

I had a problem with my Comcast router. All of a sudden it would block NWF?
The tech came to my house. Used his portable hotspot and NWF worked.
Called his supervisor and worked on it for quite a while and could not figure
it out? He replaced the router and it worked.o_O

Are you allowed to purchase a cable modem that works on Comcast's network and buy a router yourself? Unless you using the cable for phone as well then probably not. I bought a cable modem and plugged into Comcast's network and then talked to customer service representative and set me up. They charge $10.00 for modem rental so with less that a year the modem paid for itself.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews