JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Backstory:
I'm an introvert and that's why I enjoy online forums, I can log on and off whenever and retreat when necessary.

Because of this my recharge is being alone. For the last many years I have not had time to be alone; me time. I've always been the cook, homemaker, shuttle driver, homeschool parent and a variety of other hats.

Every year I'm told I can get away for a week. It never happens, ever. I'm long overdue right now.

My birthday was a couple of days ago and the Wife has setup and arranged for kids to be covered and has setup with my parents use of their pickup with camper for a week to escape.

The question:
What would prevent me from parking on public lands (anywhere; eastern or western Oregon) and spending a week in solitude?
Any spots one could recommend? I'll be self sufficient, low footprint and would like to do a little plinking and/or coyote calling while I'm out in me time. I plan to be away from cell service for obvious reasons and needing to reset the mental clock.

Thank you in advance.

Nothing would prevent you.

Used to do it a lot, as long as you're on public land it's all good. You can do open lands or forests depending on what you like. East of Bend, the Crooked River Grasslands/Ochoco area is some nice open country. If you like forests then any national forest will work. Find a nice wide spot or spur road and have fun.

If you are doing this soon. I would head over to Eastern Oregon. Mt Emily, the wallowas, Joseph. There is a lot of empty country with plenty of solitude to be found. Just look at the forecast. It is the time of year that could leave you stranded in snow.
If you dont want the threat of snow. Just head up into the coast range mountains. Plenty of lonely places there also.

I was building golf courses in Las Vegas some years ago and usually came home in late February. I spent a night in my camper in some campground around Fallon Nevada and the outside temp was 13 degrees and blowing hard wind.

I had the heater going full blast, a back up electric and still could not keep the interior above 50 degrees. Spent that night in a mummy bag under blankets.

I know this doesn't help, but I want to say take the opportunity.....it's not what you think it will be but you'll look back and love it....be positive and make the best of it.

Lucky guy.

Many people do what the OP is talking about, they just do it during hunting season.
I would drive deep into the National Forest, find a spot to my liking and set up camp.

I spent an entire winter living in the woods. The year was 1990. Long time ago. Was building the homestead cabin. No power. No water. No heat. Brushed snow a few times off the rain fly plastic tarp covering the cheapo leako WW 5x7 tent. Camp cooking.

But ... he he he ... I had a good sleeping bag with a good foam under pad and the secret weapon was my 60 pound Yellow Lab Dog. She thought it was a grand game. Fun. Sleeping under the trees with the snow coming down. Cold days. The cabin got built.

Could I just camp under some tree this winter if I had to? Yes I could but it would not be fun. Plus having done it before is not a exactly a logical reason to assume that it could be done today. Time marches on. Could I? Yes. Should I? No. Now an Old Coot! :)

The Alvord Desert on the East side of the Steens. if you camp near the springs you can warm your buns up in the hot springs. Hart Mountain Antelope refuge has a nice springs but you could run into more people there.

Heck there are places like this just East of Sunriver/Lapine I use routinly and have camped at many times. Several of us used to have a New Years Eve campout at a great spot not too many miles East of Bend - we set up generator lights on targets and did some nighttime shooting!

Many people do what the OP is talking about, they just do it during hunting season.

Valid point. Haven't been elk hunting in eastern Oregon for 20 years.... I think that was the last time I got away.

DeerSeason201433.jpg DeerSeason201438.jpg
White River Wildlife Area over around Tygh Valley has some remote camping spots. The main road from the Wasco County Fairgrounds (where you could camp with hookups if you wanted to) into the wildlife area is 1-1/2" gravel and strictly 4WD but it would get you to some amazingly nice remote campsites. I'm sure the fairgrounds would be deserted this time of year. Same with the wildlife area.

View attachment 414029 View attachment 414030
White River Wildlife Area over around Tygh Valley has some remote camping spots. The main road from the Wasco County Fairgrounds (where you could camp with hookups if you wanted to) into the wildlife area is 1-1/2" gravel and strictly 4WD but it would get you to some amazingly nice remote campsites. I'm sure the fairgrounds would be deserted this time of year. Same with the wildlife area.

Just to the South and West some of where Zeke is showing you have Barlow rd/NF3550 that follows the White River for the most part. We found that when we were out looking for morels. We didn't find morels, but we sure found some incredible places to do exactly what you're looking for. There are some small camp grounds, seemingly in the middle of nowhere, with tables, fire pits and toilets, with water nearby. Really made me wish I still had it in me to do what you're talking about. We've been on that road a couple of times with our CR-V and had no issues. Mostly dirt roads so chain saw and some rope may be in order this time of year. The area might be a little high for this time of year though at 3000' +/-.

We go camping south of Sisters in the Whychus creek area. Take Elm street heading south out of sisters. About 7 miles in, take a right onto the gravel road. There is a sign there saying Whychus creek. There are a number of places to camp by yourself. Only problem is there is likely snow up there now.

Last Edited:
It will always be Squaw Creek to us 'oldtimers' !

When i first moved to Oregon. I went with some friends camping over to Squaw Creek.
We parked at a trailhead and hiked down into a canyon. It was on the east side of Sisters. Few miles outside of town.
I have since changed my social circle and no longer communicate with those guys. However i would love to find that trailhead again. You have any idea what or where i am talking about? (i ask because you are the first person i have seen that has referred to it as Squaw Creek)

When i first moved to Oregon. I went with some friends camping over to Squaw Creek.
We parked at a trailhead and hiked down into a canyon. It was on the east side of Sisters. Few miles outside of town.
I have since changed my social circle and no longer communicate with those guys. However i would love to find that trailhead again. You have any idea what or where i am talking about? (i ask because you are the first person i have seen that has referred to it as Squaw Creek)

Just head south on Elm Street out of Sisters and you will find the trail head on the right side as you head up the mountain towards Three Creeks Lake. It is well marked. It is pretty popular and will have quite a few people there in pretty much any season. There is a fair amount of cross country skiing and snow machine activity there, right now there is not much snow.

If it has been a while since you have been there, don't be surprised at the numbers and "type" of people there, Sisters attracts the trendy and hipster crowd pretty much year around.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top