JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Since there's all this doom and gloom about grocery stores running out of food and, since it seems no one wants the vegan stuff...And since I expect y'all to be meat eating red blooded Americans...I thought I'd help out here in case you have to experience the closest thing to hell on a plate (if you do it wrong): TVP.

TVP is Textured Vegetable Protein. It's a factory made item - basically it's the protein in a soybean. Per 100g, it's 53g protein (most cuts of beef are around ~26g protein per 100g).

So, if you end up having to eat this item because it's all that is available at the store, please do the following:

Soak 1 cup TVP in just less than 1 cup of beef broth. Give it a bit to actually soak in and drain any excess liquid.
Stir fry the TVP on high heat using butter, oil, or the fat of your choice. Your goal here is to get the TVP to brown without completely dehydrating it again - so go hot and fast.
It'll soak up the fat you add like a sponge so add a little at a time and keep adding as needed.
When it's about halfway done, add in Worcestershire sauce - enough to get the color of the TVP from light brown to dark brown.

When you're done, you should have something that has the color and texture not too far off from ground beef. TVP doesn't have much of a flavor on its own so the Worcestershire sauce gives it something to remind you of beef. Use as you would ground beef in any other dish.

As you enjoy this meal, don't forget to pray for the day that you won't have to do this again. Also, if you actually liked it, you don't have to tell your friends. It can be your little secret.

I'd rather kiss a frogs butt!!!:s0140:

Kissing-frog-2-630x310.jpg

TVP is very popular in Japan because it's cheap, plentiful and high in protein. My wife buys it here and usually tries to incorporate it as a side dish. Even she admits that it takes a lot of effort to make it palatable. My kids who all eat natto (fermented soy bean paint remover) don't like TVP in any form.

I'd sooner eat Soylent Green! The jury is still out on Vegimite!
I've tried various incarnations of TVP over the years. Frankly, like stone soup, I could make something better using all the stuff you had to ad, and rice or pasta.
If TVP is your thing, I have been told you can just go to Jack in the box, and save doing the dishes.

TVP is very popular in Japan because it's cheap, plentiful and high in protein. My wife buys it here and usually tries to incorporate it as a side dish. Even she admits that it takes a lot of effort to make it palatable. My kids who all eat natto (fermented soy bean paint remover) don't like TVP in any form.

Yep. I found that beef broth to soak works (for the lazy) but if you make your own soaking liquid, that helps a ton. Add as much spice/seasoning as you can handle. I end up adding in about a half stick of butter into a cup of TVP while cooking to help fry it and to add more flavor. It's so low fat to start that it really doesn't phase me to add in that much. Frying it will dehydrate it again, so add another liquid in when almost done. It ends up being not too bad - sometimes surprisingly tasty.

Yep. I found that beef broth to soak works (for the lazy) but if you make your own soaking liquid, that helps a ton. Add as much spice/seasoning as you can handle. I end up adding in about a half stick of butter into a cup of TVP while cooking to help fry it and to add more flavor. It's so low fat to start that it really doesn't phase me to add in that much. Frying it will dehydrate it again, so add another liquid in when almost done. It ends up being not too bad - sometimes surprisingly tasty.
I believe that procedure will even make a cow patty quite tasty.

My youngest wanted to go buy some yesterday. She saw it in the meat department, took one look and said, NO WAY.
We bought some vegan brats instead. They tasted like a mix of tofu/bulgur with cumin/pepper/salt. On their own, zero palatability. With condiments, barely edible.
Ground Turkey has no flavor either. I will fry up mushrooms and onions in a pan, make ground turkey patties, remove the O&M, put the patties in, ventilate them with a fork and lightly add Worcestershire Sauce. Once cooked properly (medium done - rare turkey burger is nasty), I'll lay on slices of bleu cheese, let it melt, put the onion/crimini back on, and then cover in extra sharp cheddar and melt.
The treat is the pan remnants - fried cheese with some onion and mushrooms. Chewy goodness!

I believe that procedure will even make a cow patty quite tasty.

Nah, with a burger on the stove top, it's all about the grease. :D Do it like this and you'll be a happy man. Do it like this everyday and you'll die a happy man...a young, happy man:

My youngest wanted to go buy some yesterday. She saw it in the meat department, took one look and said, NO WAY.
We bought some vegan brats instead. They tasted like a mix of tofu/bulgur with cumin/pepper/salt.

I hate it when places do that. It's not meat and shouldn't be misconstrued as such. It's a protein isolate from soy, not dissimilar to other protein isolates - it just isn't processed into a powder.

You'll find that many of the premade fake meats are TVP based. I tend to not like them which is why learning how to use TVP is a good cook-skill. I rank it up there with learning how to cook good rice, beans, and other long storing staple items.

Absolutely stay away from vegan cheeses. There's no salvaging that crap. Trust me, I've tried (spent a few years doing the vegan thing). It doesn't taste good, doesn't melt right, has a crap texture, and doesn't fry or burn like cheese does. It doesn't store long. There is no saving grace for it.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews