JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

"Portland Pravda" trying to convince the "useful idiots" that the existing property tax system (which protects homeowners from having their homes confiscated - or forced to sell - to pay outrageous taxes) is unfair!

As Coastrange pointed out above, multiply your RMV from your property tax bill by the tax rate and you will see a huge increase in your taxes.

Notice that the article doesn't really explain how they came up with the "average tax rate" which is 1-1/2 to 2 times the rate that the homeowner pays? It may reflect what business pays now, and guess what? You are paying for their property taxes when you buy something from them, so you are actually paying their higher rates!

Property taxes ignore the ability to pay. If you cannot afford to pay the inflated taxes on a home you paid for years ago, then they expect you to sell it and move somewhere you can "afford." Just like Macron in France telling workers protesting that the high fuel taxes made it unaffordable to get to work that they should "move across the street" to live closer to work.

As his predecessor said about the starving people begging for bread to eat: "if there is no bread, the let them eat cake!" :rolleyes:

All of which obscures the real reason for increasing taxes: to pay for PERS promises that were made while fully knowing that they would not be affordable when the time came for payment. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

"Portland Pravda" trying to convince the "useful idiots" that the existing property tax system (which protects homeowners from having their homes confiscated - or forced to sell - to pay outrageous taxes) is unfair!

As Coastrange pointed out above, multiply your RMV from your property tax bill by the tax rate and you will see a huge increase in your taxes.

Notice that the article doesn't really explain how they came up with the "average tax rate" which is 1-1/2 to 2 times the rate that the homeowner pays? It may reflect what business pays now, and guess what? You are paying for their property taxes when you buy something from them, so you are actually paying their higher rates!

Property taxes ignore the ability to pay. If you cannot afford to pay the inflated taxes on a home you paid for years ago, then they expect you to sell it and move somewhere you can "afford." Just like Macron in France telling workers protesting that the high fuel taxes made it unaffordable to get to work that they should "move across the street" to live closer to work.

As his predecessor said about the starving people begging for bread to eat: "if there is no bread, the let them eat cake!" :rolleyes:

All of which obscures the real reason for increasing taxes: to pay for PERS promises that were made while fully knowing that they would not be affordable when the time came for payment. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

My solution involves paying my property and income taxes to another state. They will destroy the housing market as people will forced to default on mortgages and since nobody will be able to afford to stay in business with rentals the metro areas will start to resemble Detroit.

Probably see Salem respond by legalizing prostitution and legalizing (not decriminalizing) more hard drugs. It's a given they will continue to increase taxes on businesses and he wealthy until they are forced to bail.

Property taxes ignore the ability to pay.

There is a Senior Deferral where the State of Oregon pays the property tax bill until the Senior departs, then the heirs pay the deferred balance back from the sale of the home.

That is not how it works. Multiply the maximum assessed value or MAV against the tax rate, not the RMV. The MAV can only go up 3% a year unless you make major improvements to the property

Yes PERS should have limited contributions the same as Social Security for those earning six figure salaries.

Nick, you missed my point on the RMV. The legislators appear to be attempting to change the system to make the MAV worthless and essentially make it RMV. They want to overturn the will of the people and capture the potential tax revenues by taxing the unrealized gross sale revenue you could make if you sell your home. o_O In reality, it is a sales tax charged each year regardless of there being any transaction. o_O:rolleyes:

Nick, you missed my point on the RMV. The legislators appear to be attempting to change the system to make the MAV worthless and essentially make it RMV. They want to overturn the will of the people and capture the potential tax revenues by taxing the unrealized gross sale revenue you could make if you sell your home. o_O In reality, it is a sales tax charged each year regardless of there being any transaction. o_O:rolleyes:

Like I said before, a "split roll" different taxes for home and business has been proposed for as long as I can remember. It is impossible to administer. Also, they just can't change what was set in Ballot Measures 5, 47 and 50. No they will keep adding fees plus sneaky taxes on booze and gas to get more money out of us.

Like I said before, a "split roll" different taxes for home and business has been proposed for as long as I can remember. It is impossible to administer. Also, they just can't change what was set in Ballot Measures 5, 47 and 50. No they will keep adding fees plus sneaky taxes on booze and gas to get more money out of us.

For example, our City water bill is over $120 a month! It was only $20 a month when we bought the place. Did water really go up $100 a month? No the City just added more fees into it to balance the budget.

joken,

Actually, the State regulates the way smaller entites administer property taxes. This was meant to prevent local abuse of property tax collection.

Did you find a link you can share with us?

It appears to me that they are trying to get around this by changing the defininitions of the terms referred to in the Constitution. That way they are not changing the Constitution. Sneaky!

Either that or are attacking non-real estate "business property" such as tools and equipment. You want to by some new computers for the office, safety equipment for your workers and a new backhoe? Sorry the higher property tax means cuts will have to be made.

All this talk about taxes has me pissed off! Earlier this month I was left a sizable inheritance and am looking at taxes three times what I paid for my house just to collect the remainder. Stupid money hungry govt.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top