JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
but now the officer resigned ???????

Texas driver says his legal gun led to his arrest
Published November 20, 2015
FoxNews.com
Facebook131 Twitter96 livefyre251 Email Print

RosenbergVideo%20crop-jpg.jpg
Police dash cam video recorded gun owner Alonzo Gonzalez's encounter with a Rosenberg, Tex., police officer.

A Texas driver says he wound up in handcuffs after he told a police officer during a routine traffic stop that he was legally carrying a concealed weapon.

Alonzo Gonzalez told KPRC-TV this week that he was pulled over by a police officer in Rosenberg, Tex. for failing to signal a turn. He said he ended up getting arrested for traffic violations after the officer asked if he had his handgun with him and he replied, "I sure do."

"Just because I have a handgun on me which, you know, I have a license to carry, it shouldn't be a big deal, but that's what made it the turning point," Gonzalez told the station.

KPRC reported the police dash cam video captured the August 2014 traffic stop. The video was just turned over to Gonzalez.

The station reported that after the officer's initial conversation with Gonzalez, he called for backup.

On the video the officer can be seen returning to Gonzalez's truck with the backup who has his gun drawn.

"Mr. Gonzalez, get your hands up on the wheel, both of them," the officer then says on the video. "Appreciate it. Here's what I want you do. I want you to step out of the truck for me. When you do so I want you to keep your hands on the back of your head, Okay?"

Seconds later, Gonzalez is seen getting out of the truck. He is handcuffed and told that he is being arrested "for traffic violations."

"If I didn't have my firearm on me, I would have had a citation and they would have let me go," Gonzalez said.

Rosenberg Police Lt. William Henry told the station Thursday that the department does not target people with handgun licenses.

"We don't target gun owners in general," he said. "Any responsible gun owner…we're not out targeting people like that. As far as what the officer perceived, the officer perceived a threat."

The station reported that an internal investigation concluded the officer who pulled Gonzalez over followed all proper procedures.

It also reported that the officer had resigned and was no longer on the force.

Would be interesting to hear the exchange between the officer and Gonzales.... I'm sure it was absolutely polite and cordial... Just sayin'
I didn't know that it was possible to be "arrested for traffic violations" (as was said in the piece and since it wasn't qualified/modified, it must be on the video), lest it was a felony?

Would be interesting to hear the exchange between the officer and Gonzales.... I'm sure it was absolutely polite and cordial... Just sayin'

Guess that is why the officer resigned. Being to cordial and was ashamed of himself after being caught on camera.

Resigned so that he cant be charged with wrongful arrest and kidnapping, or for stealing a gun.

He should be charged with kidnapping and theft of a firearm, and have to pay the settlement out of his pocket. And should have to give up cars boats houses as well as the kid's college fund to the victim.

Why do they get allowed to escape justice? We refuse to take action.

Because we don't have the money or lawyers the cop's unions do.And every witness would be in trouble constantly for trying
I didn't know that it was possible to be "arrested for traffic violations"
The big stuff DUI,reckless and such,but signal offense?
There was a story a few years back about a Iraqi vet riding his MC in Wyoming I believe,where the cop that stopped him cuffed him and called his boss cause the guy was legally carrying a side arm.Held him for 3 hours
I guss it's proper procedure when the poor cop is skeered or hates gun owners.You know,could care less about upholding their job to protect the constitution.

Resigned so that he cant be charged with wrongful arrest and kidnapping, or for stealing a gun.

He should be charged with kidnapping and theft of a firearm, and have to pay the settlement out of his pocket. And should have to give up cars boats houses as well as the kid's college fund to the victim.

Uhhh - the other way around.

He acted within the capacity of his authority.

As long as he stays in the force then the civilian is somewhat limited in who he can bring suit against, i.e., the police force and the municipality, not the officer - to a degree.

This is what it is getting to, and has been for quite some time, it just makes it all that more apparent; legal gun owners, doing what they are told, acting as they should, are treated as a threat (not just a risk) and LEOs going beyond where they should.

It is bad enough that they usually want to know if you are armd, then at least see the firearm, and many want the firearm in their possession (actually creating an unsafe situation because many LEOs are just plain unsafe when handling firearms) - not they want to put you in handcuffs because you are a threat, and then try to cover it up with a bogus arrest.

And in Texas of all places - where there are a lot of people with guns and LEOs should be used to it! I wonder if this LEO is originally from another state?

And in Texas of all places - where there are a lot of people with guns and LEOs should be used to it! I wonder if this LEO is originally from another state?
This crap doesn't matter.Look at the Council farmer shooting. They knew he was asked to come out...with a gun...they just want to push their authority around. Show who's boss.
No not all cops, but there are plenty who do.

This is one local case...

Same Sheriff Office, different reactions that should disgust everyone. Again no reason to take a gun from anyone and I see theft in my opinion.

Here is another where the police hold him at gunpoint and also tel him he will be harassed.

Things need to change. A law saying that predator cops are to be charged and pay 10x the civilian rate. And 10 times the jail as a mandatory minimum sentence. All charges being concurrent not consecutive. All settlement should come from the Criminals retirement fund and his children's collage fund and his wife's (or his 6th battered slave) wedding ring.

If we are to protect all cops, why is it that a cop can stalk a woman and murder her in front of her children... Even after having court intervention, this violent stalker was allowed to own guns even after having multiple appearances in court for stalking and a active restraining/no contact order.

Police have more episodes of domestic violence than civillians. Why are Officers allowed to keep guns during allegations of violence to women. Why are they allowed to escalate domestic violence unpunished?

Being a witness to such violent criminal acts myself I will always advocate for justice for the innocent. Also being witness to trying to file a complaint and trying to press charges I witness a system of abuse harassment and intimidation. As well as to destroying any documents relating to proving these actions by the witnesses.

I dont see any authority for these actions. I think that all police unions should be immediately disbanded. Citizen oversight committees set to monitor every police interaction. If any misconduct is witnessed the officer should be brought to answer for what ever actions have been taken.

No one here can give me any justification to taser a child. However every day LEO are doing that.

Now to the LEO that does abide by the Constitution and basic human rights, I salute you. I was saved more than once because of an upstanding human being. These Officers should be in charge of training and standards.

What I see is people saying they have authority to do these things. It is only because you think that, they can assume they do.

You have no authority when committing a crime, Theft of a Firearm is a felony. Having open carry activist being detained by multiple officers and having weapons pointed at him is to me a crime. Reckless endangerment, menacing, and displaying a weapon in a threatening manner.

If a police officer points a gun at your face for no reason, there should be an immediate removal of his gun rights and arrest.

Isn't that clear Attempted Murder when a citizen does it? Its called a death sentence if a citizen would do that.

Proper procedure would be to act like a human being not a steroidal ego tripping bully. Which is not worthy of any respect. I would respect a polite knowledgeable Officer. I would comply with his requests. I wouldn't comply to allowing a criminal to hold me at gunpoint and to steal from me without charges being leveled at the criminal or some kind of action.

A citizen has no duty to obey an illegal law and has a duty to resist.

This is one local case...

Same Sheriff Office, different reactions that should disgust everyone. Again no reason to take a gun from anyone and I see theft in my opinion.

Here is another where the police hold him at gunpoint and also tel him he will be harassed.

Things need to change. A law saying that predator cops are to be charged and pay 10x the civilian rate. And 10 times the jail as a mandatory minimum sentence. All charges being concurrent not consecutive. All settlement should come from the Criminals retirement fund and his children's collage fund and his wife's (or his 6th battered slave) wedding ring.

If we are to protect all cops, why is it that a cop can stalk a woman and murder her in front of her children... Even after having court intervention, this violent stalker was allowed to own guns even after having multiple appearances in court for stalking and a active restraining/no contact order.

Police have more episodes of domestic violence than civillians. Why are Officers allowed to keep guns during allegations of violence to women. Why are they allowed to escalate domestic violence unpunished?

Being a witness to such violent criminal acts myself I will always advocate for justice for the innocent. Also being witness to trying to file a complaint and trying to press charges I witness a system of abuse harassment and intimidation. As well as to destroying any documents relating to proving these actions by the witnesses.

I dont see any authority for these actions. I think that all police unions should be immediately disbanded. Citizen oversight committees set to monitor every police interaction. If any misconduct is witnessed the officer should be brought to answer for what ever actions have been taken.

No one here can give me any justification to taser a child. However every day LEO are doing that.

Now to the LEO that does abide by the Constitution and basic human rights, I salute you. I was saved more than once because of an upstanding human being. These Officers should be in charge of training and standards.

What I see is people saying they have authority to do these things. It is only because you think that, they can assume they do.

You have no authority when committing a crime, Theft of a Firearm is a felony. Having open carry activist being detained by multiple officers and having weapons pointed at him is to me a crime. Reckless endangerment, menacing, and displaying a weapon in a threatening manner.

If a police officer points a gun at your face for no reason, there should be an immediate removal of his gun rights and arrest.

Isn't that clear Attempted Murder when a citizen does it? Its called a death sentence if a citizen would do that.

Proper procedure would be to act like a human being not a steroidal ego tripping bully. Which is not worthy of any respect. I would respect a polite knowledgeable Officer. I would comply with his requests. I wouldn't comply to allowing a criminal to hold me at gunpoint and to steal from me without charges being leveled at the criminal or some kind of action.

A citizen has no duty to obey an illegal law and has a duty to resist.

Resist and end up 6 ft. down, weather you are right or not you lose

"The station reported that after the officer's initial conversation with Gonzalez, he called for backup."

What a pussy.

"I dont see any authority for these actions. I think that all police unions should be immediately disbanded."

Good luck with that one. This will continue until cops start ending up dead after abusing people. It's just the way the world works. What "should" happen is irrelevant. Cops, like everyone else, respond to incentives, and the incentives all point in the wrong direction - away from what "should" happen.'

I just assume all this, like a lot of other evil things, will just wash away in the coming Revolution.

Resist and end up 6 ft. down, weather you are right or not you lose
My daddy used to call that dead right.
Good luck with that one. This will continue until cops start ending up dead after abusing people. It's just the way the world works. What "should" happen is irrelevant. Cops, like everyone else, respond to incentives, and the incentives all point in the wrong direction - away from what "should" happen.'

I just assume all this, like a lot of other evil things, will just wash away in the coming Revolution.
This probably what the PTB want.It would make more of a case for martial law
A s far as disbanding unions ,they are run by cops that have went to law school.So the unions have their lawyers on salary. Fight that one
The Judges aren't going to go against the cops,they bring in more work. Keep the money rolling in.
And I hope that your last sentence is golden. It needs to happen at some point

My guess is that the sheriff found himself on the end of a losing situation and that the officer resigned in lieu of being fired.

Resigning means you can get another job in LE, not so much if fired.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top