JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If transferred through an FFL in WA to a Washington resident the buyer has a waiting period before they can receive the semi-auto from the FFL. I think the waiting period is 10 or 5 days, I don't recall.

Plus, the buyer has to show proof they have training (online training certificate) to handle a semi-auto. It's free and only took them 10 minutes online from what I recall. I did not mail the firearm to their FFL I met them at an FFL in Vancouver.

I have had a few ar15s for sale and some interested parties from Washington, has anyone dealt with this process, my ffl states its a bit tricky to transfer.

Any thoughts or experiences ?
It's not difficult, it's a standard inter-state transfer and the rules are from the POV of the purchaser in their home state. You ship/deliver to FFL of choice for WA resident, WA resident shows up and fills out 4473, does background check and they have a waiting period for completed AR15s in WA, once that is up, if BGC passed, they walk away with rifle.

There is a free training they have to complete due to I-1639 and show proof (only way around this, is stripped lowers or just the lower), https://sporting-systems.com/free-1639-training/

I spoke with coat of arms in Keizer and they stated all I need med was to be an oregon resident and it was a simple transfer from OR resident to WA resident taking place in oregon

I spoke with coat of arms in Keizer and they stated all I need med was to be an oregon resident and it was a simple transfer from OR resident to WA resident taking place in oregon
I guess for rifles it doesn't matter if it's in the home state since that is only restricted to handguns. But the process is the same. If they do it in Oregon, then it won't require the rules Washington has. But it still requires an FFL because Oregon has outlawed private transfers.

Thanks for the input fellas, didn't want to waste the buyers or my time so figured I would reach out to those that know more than I
Much appreciated
Many Oregon FFLs do not understand the program.
As long as they are complying with their state law, and federal law, they are in the clear.
Best,
Gary

It's not difficult, it's a standard inter-state transfer and the rules are from the POV of the purchaser in their home state. You ship/deliver to FFL of choice for WA resident, WA resident shows up and fills out 4473, does background check and they have a waiting period for completed AR15s in WA, once that is up, if BGC passed, they walk away with rifle.

There is a free training they have to complete due to I-1639 and show proof (only way around this, is stripped lowers or just the lower), https://sporting-systems.com/free-1639-training/
As for the training in Wa State, you do not have to show a certificate.
You just need to say you have taken/passed the training.
Sporting Systems in Vancouver, offers this training for free on line.
You can print the certificate, if you like.
Best,
Gary

I guess for rifles it doesn't matter if it's in the home state since that is only restricted to handguns. But the process is the same. If they do it in Oregon, then it won't require the rules Washington has. But it still requires an FFL because Oregon has outlawed private transfers.
WA changed their requirements: If the buyer is a WA resident and the firearm is a handgun or a semi-auto rifle then the transfer from say an Oregon resident needs to take place at a WA FFL. If it was a bolt action rifle then a WA resident can purchase the rifle and do the transfer at an Oregon FFL. Assuming here the seller is an Oregon resident.

WA changed their requirements: If the buyer is a WA resident and the firearm is a handgun or a semi-auto rifle then the transfer from say an Oregon resident needs to take place at a WA FFL. If it was a bolt action rifle then a WA resident can purchase the rifle and do the transfer at an Oregon FFL. Assuming here the seller is an Oregon resident.
Ooof, that's new.

Can you please cite that statute?
TIA
Best,
Gary

I would appreciate someone showing me that statute.
TIA,
Best,
Gary
You make a solid point - https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.122 shows out of state purchasing just has to meet regulations by WA, nothing about having to buy it in state of WA. https://www.atg.wa.gov/initiative-1639

@wolfcreed I don't see a law stating that they have to purchase an AR type rifle in WA state. Only federal requirement for pistols, and out of state purchasing are having to meet legal requirements of WA in the 9.41.122.

This is a quote from the Attorney General of Washington State concerning 1639. See bullet point #3:

What are the new requirements for purchasing, selling or transferring a semiautomatic assault rifle?

Certain existing laws that applied only to pistols were expanded by Initiative 1639 to also apply to semiautomatic assault rifles. This includes the enhanced background check requirement. Click here for more information on enhanced background checks.

After July 1, 2019, before delivering a semiautomatic assault rifle to a purchaser:

1. The dealer must receive a complete application from the potential purchaser. (Click here for more information on application requirements); and
  2. The dealer must be provided proof that the purchaser has completed a recognized firearms safety training program within the past five years. (Click here for more information on training requirements); and
  3. The dealer must initiate an enhanced background check with the police chief or sheriff where the purchaser resides. (Click here for more information on enhanced background checks); and
  4. Ten days must have elapsed from the date of the purchase application or, in the case of a transfer, ten business days from the date a background check is initiated.
Unless an exception applies, a firearms dealer can be criminally charged for selling or transferring a firearm to a purchaser without first complying with the law regarding background checks, or for delivering a firearm to a person whom he or she has reasonable cause to believe is ineligible to possess a firearm. RCW 9.41.080.

After July 1, 2019, state law prohibits anyone who is not a resident of Washington from buying a semiautomatic assault rifle in Washington.

I have read that it is easier to just transfer the serialized lower as a "lower" at the Washington FFL so they can take it home the same day, and then sell the upper to the buyer separately.

If you are buying a long rifle (bolt, lever, pump) it's no different. A Washington resident can buy in Oregon.

If you are a Washington resident buying a semi-automatic rifle (or any handgun for that matter) in Oregon then the semi automatic rifle has to be shipped to a Washington FFL. And go through the waiting period.

No Oregon FFL who wants to keep his license is going to sell direct to a Washington resident. It has to be shipped to a Washington FFL. That is the law here. A private seller can ship direct to a Washington FFL if the FFL accepts private party shipments.

We have a 10 limit mag ban to look forward to also.

You make a solid point - https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.122 shows out of state purchasing just has to meet regulations by WA, nothing about having to buy it in state of WA. https://www.atg.wa.gov/initiative-1639

@wolfcreed I don't see a law stating that they have to purchase an AR type rifle in WA state. Only federal requirement for pistols, and out of state purchasing are having to meet legal requirements of WA in the 9.41.122.
Thank you, Sir
Best,
Gary

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR