JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If Ya want to have some fun, contact a couple of the legislators that voted the bill in, and ask them to explain the law.
😳😳
Best,
Gary
This might actually be very useful. Contact, by e-mail, a rep or 2 that voted for this, and ask the various questions. Print out this e-mail and keep it in your vehicle, range bag, etc., as well as any response if there is one, and even if there is a response, it is very likely going to be garbage. In the very unlikely event that you interact with an LEO over this, producing such a document might help keep you out of trouble. (I did similar to this with 1594, e-mailed my Sheriff, explained what I was doing as I didn't want any trouble with the vague transfer language, told him I was going to keep a copy on me, and was in total agreement.)

Some Oregon FFLs will still do a transfer of a semi-auto long gun to a WA resident. Call around to find one that will do the transfer. Money Market Pawn in Portland was still doing them as of a month or two ago. Other FFLs misunderstand the law or don't want to bother with the transfers.
This. MM has zero problem selling semi autos to WA residents and both owners are very knowledgeable and helpful. They are one of the few FFLs who actually know the law.

That's WA law...Federal Law requires dealers to follow the laws of the state they are are in, AND the laws of the buyers state of residence. Just saying...its federal law, and federal law takes precedent over state law. ATF confirmed the same to me when I inquired about or our Oregon FFL.

1. 18 U.S.C. §922(a)(3); 18 U.S.C. §922(b)(3).

(3)
any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the licensee's place of business is located, except that this paragraph (A) shall not apply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee's place of business is located if the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States (and any licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of this subparagraph, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances of both States), and (B) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;
What exactly are you arguing here? Like arakboss mentioned in quoting WA law on transfers, WA's 1639 bs (the 10 day waiting period, "enhanced" background check, etc) only applies when any part of the transaction takes place in Washington. If I walk into an FLL in OR, as a WA resident, and I purchase a semi auto rifle off the shelf, what part of that transaction is taking place in WA? Since it's only taking place in OR, and per WA law, it's legal for a WA resident to purchase in OR, what part of the Federal law is being broken? Am I missing something? This seems to be pretty cut and dry...

This. MM has zero problem selling semi autos to WA residents and both owners are very knowledgeable and helpful. They are one of the few FFLs who actually know the law.
We have three types of FFLs in Oregon. Those who believe it's still legal to transfer semi-auto long guns to WA residents. Those who don't. And finally those who don't want to bother trying to figure it out. MM is clearly in the first group and I fully support them.

It's probably best SOMETIMES.......

1648153166442.png

Q : BTW.....what state is this?

A : Oregon.

Response : OK.....in that case, here take these magazines too.*

*Sorry......I didn't consult my map.

Aloha, Mark

We have three types of FFLs in Oregon. Those who believe it's still legal to transfer semi-auto long guns to WA residents. Those who don't. And finally those who don't want to bother trying to figure it out. MM is clearly in the first group and I fully support them.
It amazes me that so many FFLs (whose entirely livelihood comes down to following laws correctly) are so ignorant, and would not take the time to fully learn and understand these laws. Oh well. They lose a customer and I go somewhere else.

As for the training in Wa State, you do not have to show a certificate.
You just need to say you have taken/passed the training.
Sporting Systems in Vancouver, offers this training for free on line.
You can print the certificate, if you like.
Best,
Gary
They need to quit calling that BS "training", it is not, it is playing games and jumping through hoops to exercise a constitutional right.

If Ya want to have some fun, contact a couple of the legislators that voted the bill in, and ask them to explain the law.
😳😳
Best,
Gary
I believe it was an Initiative and didn't go through the legislature. Elected Officials can dodge this one, they didn't vote on it. The magazine ban is a different issue.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top