JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I have a guy that wants to buy a gun of mine but doesn't have a valid OR drivers license or CHL. What proof of residence could/should I accept to make sure everything is on the up and up? He is a member her but has no feedback at this point...thank you all for any light you can shed on this.

If it was me, at that point I'd go through an ffl to make sure everything is clear. Or just pass on the deal and tell the person you aren't comfortable selling a firearm to someone without feedback and proper credentials. Just my $.02

If the prospective purchaser has no valid OR driver's license, OR CHL or any other legal and legitimate means of showing you that he is an Oregon resident, then I too would use an 01FFL to do the transaction to cover your butt. If you choose to proceed without the documents, you may be selling to someone from out of state in which it becomes a federal crime, you may be selling to someone who by law can't own a firearm and doesn't want to show you his ID, or you could even be setting yourself up for a sting...it wouldn't surprise me if law enforcement don't peruse boards like this in order to drum up additional 'business' as it were. I always insist on seeing an OR ID for face to face transactions.

Keith

The only 'proof of residence' you could accept is a current utility bill, but even with that you don't know for sure that's his residence.
Does he have an ODL at all? If not he should at least have an Oregon ID card.
I personally wouldn't sell a firearm to anyone that did not have photo ID. That's just my thing - husband doesn't necessarily agree with it. I've only sold one, and it was a little awkward but
It was on the up-and-up ---- photo copy of ID and a bill of sale with all numbers.
Right now this firearm BELONGS to you. YOU are responsible.

Wifey

Utility bill is what he is offering, thank you all for your input. I like carrying too much to risk it, I will pass. Thanks for being good influences, with sound advice.

I had a WA utility bill and a WA mailing address for two years when I was working in Moses Lake WA, but I still retained my OR residency so it would have been illegal for me to do a face to face transaction with a WA resident using those documents. You chose well :) .

Keith

I have sold and bought several firearms on this forum.

If I was buying a firearm, I just expected that I would be required to provide proof of residence with at least a valid OR drivers license and sometimes a CHL (I personally had no problem providing both if the seller required it).

If I was the seller, I required at least a valid OR drivers license. It doesn't mean it couldn't have been bogus, but at least I had done due diligence in the eyes of the law.

I would walk on the deal you described and it appears you did.

Good for you.

Forget it. Too easy for some knucklehead from across the river to claim his a resident but doesn't any type of i.d. Even if he's being truthful about not having any i.d I wouldn't feel comfortable selling a firearm to someone who isn't responsible enough to make it the DMV to get one.

IT'S REALLY SIMPLE!Your taking a chance on selling to a felon, or someone who is not allowed to own a firearm, which makes you guilty of a federal crime. Why is it you want to do this instead of walking away and selling to someone with proper I.D. which lets you off the hook???

Lotta scared people (for their own good reasons) here. I'm not one of them.

I would adhere to all laws. If the gent seems legitimate, I'd sell (within the law). Spidey sense is everything. Mine works fair.

I ain't in jail.

Adhere to the law, and you are legal.

Certainly, if you desire some documentation or assurances beyond the law, then ask.

I always grant any request beyond the law from any other party in a sale (either buyer or seller). I always trust my Spidey Sense to engage my discretion to walk away. I (so far) am never the person to ask for anything beyond the law.

By law he needs to have a photo ID so I would pass on the sale

No law requires Photo ID. Not for general life, and not for a firearms sale between two private individuals. (I'm not going to cite because it doesn't exist and you can't prove a negative. If you can prove me wrong, feel free to research it.) For a private sale, the only requirement on the part of the seller is a good faith belief that the buyer is not prohibited (including non-resident, and indeed the state residency is a legal issue, not a moral one). Having expressed doubts on this forum, the seller is probably better off not selling to this individual, because if it did turn outwrong, a prosecutor could probably use this as evidence to convince an uninformed jury.

Now, as an FFL holder, I wouldn't do it- the standards are higher for me. But for a private seller, if there's no reason to doubt his address on the utility bill, then it should be plenty of evidence. You could ask for a copy of the utility billl and a written/signed affirmation of residence as well for belt and suspenders security.

Even the proposed voter ID law has an exception to photo ID requirements with accumulation of other evidence as to identity, specifically including post-marked correspendence such as utility bills. The US Postal Service's identification of you as being the individual you claim to be has long precedent, for various reasons.

But it's entirely up to you.

Status

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews