JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Never bough/sold a firearm from/to someone I don't know. I've wondered what are the best places. I'd like public places, with lot's of people, for my safety's sake, but there aren't many where one can complete a transaction w/o causing panic and more. I knowning someone thru NWFA does not count. So, besides gun shows,

* What kind of places do you guys typically prefer to complete a transaction with someone you just met?

* Do you go alone or with a CHL friend covering your six?

* Prefered method of payment, buying or selling?

I have done this many times thru different forums/groups and have never had a problem. I get enough info ahead of time so that you know where/how to find them and meet in a public place. The transaction usually takes place in a parking lot of a shopping mall or similar. I have never had anything even close to a problem of any kind. If you are not comfortable with the person from your communications with them ahead of time simply don't sell it to them.

Never bough/sold a firearm from/to someone I don't know. I've wondered what are the best places. I'd like public places, with lot's of people, for my safety's sake, but there aren't many where one can complete a transaction w/o causing panic and more. I knowning someone thru NWFA does not count. So, besides gun shows,

* What kind of places do you guys typically prefer to complete a transaction with someone you just met?

* Do you go alone or with a CHL friend covering your six?

* Prefered method of payment, buying or selling?

Usually I xfer firearms in a public place since I have was driving to meet someone in a town I didn't live in. I usually take my wife for great company (she cute too:winkkiss:) With the email and phone converstion prior to the transaction, I have complete confidence in the person and feel completely safe. Places that I have used thus far, Roseburg Fred Meyers' parking lot, Potland Gun range (Johnson' gun club?), Eugene Mall (hopefully it made some liberal upset :s0112:)

For payment type I prefer to give cash or receive cash.

Its true, you can't just do a transaction in a restaurant or the like.

I have done 2 in parking lots.

I would take someone with you, and get a detailed bill of sale.

As for payment, cash or money order...you're trusting a lot with a check.

I have sold two firearms private sale. Both have been in a public parking lot. Get a feel for the person over the phone. Its hard to get a feel for a person on line. Write up a detailed bill of sale. I have used the one in the NWFA resources menu a few times, it seems to cover all the bases. Bringing someone with you is not a bad idea and I only sell and buy with cash. If they can write a money order then they can get the cash from the bank.

In a parking lot at/near an FFL. People are used to seeing guns there. For example, at Joes, Fisherman's Marine, or Sportsman's Warehouse.

My buddy bought an M1 out of the trunk of a car at McDonalds at 3am. (He went to church with the guy though).

The most questionable transaction that I've made was in an elevator of an apartment complex in downtown Portland at 2am. I was even given a loaded mag for it. Can you say free ammo?

I'd say the same rules apply to buying FTF as do with offroading or hiking. Going with a buddy is best but if you go it alone, let someone know where you are and when you'll be back. Public parking lots seem to be the most popular place. Be prepared and go with your gut.

I second the idea of a bill of sale including Date, buyer and seller names, buyer signature and DL # or CHL #, make, model, caliber and serial number. That's what I do.

All my purchases seem to happen in various Fred Meyer parking lots around the state.
The internet forums make it quite a bit easier to figure out if people are legit. Trade ratings help too.
Remember as the buyer you're vulnerable too - the person selling knows you'll be carrying a load of cash!
Obviously a lot of people on here carry concealed and most are normal folk. I'd be concerned about newspaper ads etc. where you don't know who the other party is at all.

Done a few FTF transactions, some at Sportmans Warehouse, one or two at Wal-Mart, and a couple at Fred Meyers.

Just make sure they aren't from out of state, and get a verbal confirmation that they are legal to own the firearm.

Of all the firearms I have bought, the majority have been FTF from people I didn't know. I prefer to buy used and at a substantial savings below new. My tastes also tend towards the older, more classic fare.

In former times, I would invite them to my home or garage (when selling) or would go to their home (when buying). No different than buying a user lawnmower off Craig's.

These days, the protocol seems to be a "public" place such a parking lot. A McDonald's, Freddy's or Sportsman's Warehouse are all sufficient for me. I have done that a number of times, particularly from online local types, such as you guys. I am perfectly comfortable with that kind of arrangement, especially with Forum members that have an established "internet reputation".

I tend to buy more than sell and will defer to the sellers wishes in terms of a receipt and producing a CHL as evidence that I am not an ordinary low-life. So that is easy to establish. It is harder for the seller to establish that conditions under which he obtained the firearm were legal, and that the condition of the firearm is as represented. But you also have that worry when dealing with Dealers as well.....or at least I do. So I think the risk is always far greater with the buyer than with the seller.

The bottom line reality is that most people are honest and decent. If they weren't democracy would not work, nor would keeping and bearing arms.

More times than I can remember for everything from cars and guns to sinks and firewood. Only had a problem once but worked out in the end.

I always go with back up and try to complete the transaction during day light hours.

Usually ask the buyer to complete a bill of sale at the least if the item is a firearm while also asking to see their DL.

I daknow...what happens if you're buying a stolen gun? Wouldn't wanna get caught with one. But then, if you have the cops check the serial #, then yer on the grid. Go with yer gut instinct.:s0131:

I actually prefer to do it in my home. I do not feel threatened that they will harm me or return later to rob me. Most people on these forums are decent people. Plus, I think the biggest deterrent from anyone trying to break into my home is actually coming here. They walk in and say to themselves..."Yappy dogs that heard me coming. Alarm system on the wall. Guns are securely locked in durable safes. Owner of home is kind of shifty looking and well armed."

Just remember that even though you're doing a private transaction without an FFL does not mean there aren't laws to follow. You cannot sell to somebody that you know is ineligible from possessing firearms. In this case, you need to either get a CPL# from them or go with your gut, and maybe have them sign a statement saying that they are legal to own said firearm.

Also, do NOT sell to somebody who is not a resident of your state. Residency is defined by the ATF as somebody with a drivers license/ID from your state, or who is active military. If they are military, get a copy of their orders for your records so there is no question as to their residency. Read this page on the ATF's website:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b11

I daknow...what happens if you're buying a stolen gun? Wouldn't wanna get caught with one. But then, if you have the cops check the serial #, then yer on the grid. Go with yer gut instinct.:s0131:

It is not illegal to possess a stolen firearm, just to KNOWINGLY possess a stolen firearm. Some people take the extra precaution to call their local sheriffs office who can run a quick check on the SN (do this before you meet). So even if you don't want to actually run the SN with the local sheriffs office, you can ask the seller for it over the phone and gauge their response. If the seller refuses to provide you with a SN for this, I would be suspicious, just as I would be if the one they provided me in advance was different than the one on the receiver when you meet. If you don't do an actual check, then go off your instincts, but you can also get them to sign a document that they legally own the item.

Here's the RCW regarding stolen firearms:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.56.310

Here's the law that defines possession of stolen goods:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.56.140

Not knowing that it was stolen doesn't mean you won't have to pay for lawyers, and won't stop the DA from possibly painting you as the type of person who would knowingly possess a stolen firearm. So cover yourself as much as you see fit.

I know this isn't exactly on topic as to what you're asking, but since you seem like you're not experienced at FTFs, I thought I'd throw some friendly advice your way. Take what you wish.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top