JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
For sale is a beautiful vintage S&W Revolver -- a model 36 in .38 special.

SN dates production to the mid 50s, at the peak of Smith and Wesson's hand-craftsmanship. This will not disappoint. It is original down to the beautiful polished blue-black finish and the hand cut checkered walnut "Diamond Grips." Other unusual features from this period of production are the "flat latch" cylinder release, and the serated "combat trigger."

This is a vintage firearm and I did not buy it new, so an accurate "round count" is impossible. However, it is in excellent condition, rifling is sharp and normal wear points are crisp. If I had to guess I would think it has seen perhaps 200 rounds of actual use, half of which has been me.

The revolver will come with a couple of nice leather holsters, and a speed loader. I think I also have a set of big squishy Pachmayer rubber grips, if you happen to be "recoil sensitive, although taking off those Diamond grips would be a shame. I can probably be persuaded to include some nice ammo, if you make the process simple and easy for me :)

Asking $600, and I'm pretty firm at this price because I think it is fair. Normally, I'd be into trades, but this one needs to be a cash sale to help fund a motorcycle project, sorry.

If you're interested, please send me a PM. I'm in the Newberg/Wilsonville area and available to meet up hereabouts. Any govt. fees are on you.

p.s. this post will be deleted immediately when it sells (or I change my mind and keep it), so if you're looking at this I still have it.
Nice. Looks like the one my Dad had. I'd buy it if I could. GLWS

Whar might your trade interests be on this artifact from the Golden Age of American craftsmanship in firearm production?

LIke everyone else hereabouts, my "trade value" is a bit higher than "cash price" -- top choices would be larger vintage S&W or Colt revolvers, a Colt series 70 1911 (or perhaps a really nice series 80), a Seecamp in .380 (or perhaps a really nice one in .32) or a very nice modern pistol in 9mm or .45acp (Sig, HK, FN, Colt, S&W, etc) with a rail and ideally a strobe/laser setup. I usually prefer metal firearms, and am not a big fan of the ubiquitous modern polymer pistols. Or perhaps something else would catch my eye -- I'm a sucker for quality pieces by good makers, so feel free to make me offers :)

Last Edited:
Would this be considered the Chief's Special? I love the vintage revolvers, love to shoot them as well. What is the recommendation for running plus p in the Smith, do you know?

Yep, the Mod 36 is the "Chiefs Special" -- introduced in 1950, so mine is from about the 4th year of production. Here is a brief history: Smith & Wesson Model 36 - Wikipedia

So far as I know, the post-war steel framed S&W revolvers are all +P capable -- the vintage ones were built for the old SAMMI spec'ed .38 Special (which was much hotter that today's specs, which have been downgraded for safe shooting in cheap modern guns) and are built as well or better than most of today's .357 mag revolvers. The really old ones from before WWII might not technically be suitable for hot loads, although when I was dumb kid I shot plenty of hot modern ammo through 'em with no issue.

That's a very fair price IMHO and a beautiful revolver. I paid $525 for a mint 1982 Model 34 (.22 LR) two years w/o box, etc. If I bought it it'd be a safe queen but I'd never run +P in it if I was going to shoot it.

Y'know I'd also consider a trade for a nice basic good quality AR with a low round count upper, a good 1st gen early prduction Thompson Contender setup with 3+ barrels in standard rifle and pistol calibers (and ideally one of the old rifle stock grips and one rifle length barrel),or possible a partial trade for an older Remington or Mossberg Marine 12 Ga . Feel free to shoot me offers -- I have had a few people tell me they wanted it and then flake, so please be serious. thanks!

yes, I still have it. I'm a patient man, and I'm perfectly happy to take my time and find just the right trade- one of the beautiful thing about top quality vintage firearms is that (unlike modern tupperware) if you hold on to them and take care of them, they just continue to appreciate :)

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top