JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ad Type
  1. For Sale
Price
$1250
Manufacturer
Smith & Wesson
Caliber
44 Special
City
Springfield
State
Oregon
Zip Code
S&W .44 Special Model 624 6 1/2" barrel revolver. Made only from 1985 - 1988; collector firearm. Stainless. Stamped "F" on the cylinder. No box.

Tough to find. Can't go buy this at just any ole store.

Not interested in trades for this one. In-person meet for sale. Firearm is in Springfield, Oregon.

IMG_1273.jpeg IMG_1268.jpeg IMG_1270.jpeg IMG_1271.jpeg IMG_1269.jpeg

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
Has this revolver been tested to see if it will accept a 44 Magnum round in the cylinder?
S&W did a recall on model 624 back in the eighties.

Here's a link explaining what the issues were.

Last Edited:
I do not have a box to see if the red circle is on it to confirm that way. There is an "F" stamped on the cylinder of the for sale firearm. I have read some forums that claim the presence of this stamp indicates it was either not in the recall run or has an inspected cylinder. I do not know what is fact or fiction at this point. Also, I do not believe any .44 Special can take a .44 Magnum, as there'd be a different bullet length, not fitting in a cylinder.

Here's a reply in the article written by Roy Jinks in reply to the guns issues.

"If your gun is within this range and you do not have a box or know for certain that it has been tested, you should contact Smith & Wesson. S&W's records prior to 1986 are not computerized, so it takes them a l little longer to look up the particulars.

"You can E-mail your gun's serial number to:
[email protected]

"S&W will contact you regarding the status of your particular gun. If your gun is included in the recall, you'll be sent a prepaid FedEx label and shipping instructions. While E-mail is best, you may also call S&W Customer Support at 1-800-331-0852.

"Recalled cylinders are tested by magnafluxing*. If your recalled gun does fail, there are no replacement cylinders. S&W will keep your gun and you will be offered the choice of another handgun of equal value or a refund."

The 'real' story from Roy Jinks:

In response to a member's email, asking Roy Jinks about the steel used in the cylinder in February of 2008 and he replied:

"The cylinder problem was the fact that some cylinders had long charge holes and you could chamber the .44 Magnum round in the cylinder. So it is an easy check. If the gun will chamber the .44 Magnum round then it has one of the cylinders that was affected. if it does not chamber the round then you are okay. You will still be okay as long as you shoot only .44 Specials in the revolver.

"Believe what you want to, but it was my project and I certainly do not remember a problem with the stainless steel for the cylinders."

Now think about this:

If S&W were to recall revolvers to have their cylinders checked, wouldn't it be more like factory protocol and make more sense to mark the cylinder rather than stamping a red circled "C" on the box? How many boxes are usually retained with the revolver and how reliable/efficient would a marked box be?

* I suspect magnafluxing was actually to verify if someone had shot 44 Mags in the cylinder and damaged it.

S&W CA #819

Here's a reply in the article written by Roy Jinks in reply to the guns issues.

"If your gun is within this range and you do not have a box or know for certain that it has been tested, you should contact Smith & Wesson. S&W's records prior to 1986 are not computerized, so it takes them a l little longer to look up the particulars.

"You can E-mail your gun's serial number to:
[email protected]

"S&W will contact you regarding the status of your particular gun. If your gun is included in the recall, you'll be sent a prepaid FedEx label and shipping instructions. While E-mail is best, you may also call S&W Customer Support at 1-800-331-0852.

"Recalled cylinders are tested by magnafluxing*. If your recalled gun does fail, there are no replacement cylinders. S&W will keep your gun and you will be offered the choice of another handgun of equal value or a refund."

The 'real' story from Roy Jinks:

In response to a member's email, asking Roy Jinks about the steel used in the cylinder in February of 2008 and he replied:

"The cylinder problem was the fact that some cylinders had long charge holes and you could chamber the .44 Magnum round in the cylinder. So it is an easy check. If the gun will chamber the .44 Magnum round then it has one of the cylinders that was affected. if it does not chamber the round then you are okay. You will still be okay as long as you shoot only .44 Specials in the revolver.

"Believe what you want to, but it was my project and I certainly do not remember a problem with the stainless steel for the cylinders."

Now think about this:

If S&W were to recall revolvers to have their cylinders checked, wouldn't it be more like factory protocol and make more sense to mark the cylinder rather than stamping a red circled "C" on the box? How many boxes are usually retained with the revolver and how reliable/efficient would a marked box be?

* I suspect magnafluxing was actually to verify if someone had shot 44 Mags in the cylinder and damaged it.

S&W CA #819
This is correct. As long as no 44mag has been run through it, I would not send it in. If you are not sure, and a 44mag fits, and you want to shoot it, you should be prepared to either lose your gun for a replacement or refund, or demand the frame back and source a replacement cylinder to retrofit. It's not worth the kaboom. This of course applies to you and any prospective buyer With full disclosure.

I have an email in with Smith and Wesson to get a definitive answer on this firearms model number. Nonetheless, it's sellable and I have a solid offer from a collectibles organization. Still for sale.

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top