JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How much is flood insurance, $100/yr?

I'm not certain where you're going with that comment, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that $8,700 is much less than the hassle, deductibles, temporary costs, months (if not years) of uncertainty, disruption and inconvenience and other downsides of having your home destroyed in a flood; to say nothing of the satisfaction of relying on your own wits rather than the hope that an underfunded insurance program might cover your losses.

I'm not certain where you're going with that comment, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that $8,700 is much less than the hassle, deductibles, temporary costs, months (if not years) of uncertainty, disruption and inconvenience and other downsides of having your home destroyed in a flood; to say nothing of the satisfaction of relying on your own wits rather than the hope that an underfunded insurance program might cover your losses.
You know some kid would pop that thing in the first five minutes.
didn't click

Heck of a lot faster to put in place than sandbag barriers, based on testing by the Corps of Engineers. And you use the water source threatening your property to fill it. Makes sense for people that live in areas at risk of frequent flooding. Not surprised that company is in Louisiana.

Sure looks like they are out of California not Louisiana.
;)

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 8.52.12 PM.png

Wherever I've lived, it's always been on hills (by choice). I, for one, will never need my kayak to swing by Plaid for a carton of half-and-half and a Powerball. But erosion and earthquakes are very real possibilities here in the soggy NW, where the Pacific, North American and Juan de Fuca tectonic plates are jostling for position like Rosie, Oprah and Michael Moore on ribs night at Golden Corral.

Regarding insurance, I know of people in Portland SW Hills who've collected on policies for mudslides and homes slipping down steep muddy banks. Since we're overdue for a major shaker, I have to wonder just how quickly (or completely) Nationwide might be on my side if half a million local home owners all filed claims for significant earthquake damage at the same time.

So whether $100/year is a little or a lot (or even a realistic estimate) for flood insurance in areas where that's remotely possible, I applaud the homeowner in that vid for doing something positive and proactive to avoid losing it all when (not if) the water comes up. I'm guessing he probably has flood insurance, too.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads