JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We have a 1949 Chevy Suburban in the process of being returned to a roadworthy state. Not our choce for a domicile, but can be slept in with a modicum of comfort. If things get that bad there will be RVs for sale.

I spent years living out of a car. I worked two jobs but couldn't afford an apartment because I was unskilled labour and didn't know a trade. There were a couple weeks there where my only food was a $.57 taco bell burrito. "A" burrito. For the week. When I finally realised I could use food stamps I was floored by the fact that you couldn't use them to procure soap, shampoo, toothpaste, or laundry detergent. The last 8 months I was on the street because a chump of a cop caught me sleeping in my car, whose tags had expired by then, ticketed and towed it. You can realise that because I couldn't house myself I certainly couldn't pay the exhorbitant impound fees. It took me over five years to climb out of that hole and I learned how much I could take. (note; I do fault the cop. He was following the law, but he did it to be intentionally cruel and let me know that in very clear terms.)

If enough people are laid off modern-day Hoovervilles will spring up all across the country. The smart displaced will find a place to squat and hold onto it as best they can.

Food. Warmth. Water. Shelter. That is all you need. The rest of it won't keep you going if those four items can't be acquired.

Been there done that.....not sure how one would prepare for it though. Its the kind of thing that you learn as you go.....and hope you learn fast. The main issue was food. There was a mission down the road I ate at once a day which was nice, but finding other sources of food was very necessary. There was a local food bank I'd go to regularly, I'd also hit up the grocery outlet if I had a few bucks. The second issue was a place to stay for a decent period of time. In my experience, you want a place not too far from your resources that is out of sight and not near much foot traffic. The kind of place you can keep belongings you collect without the fear of having someone raid your camp while your out. Which comes to the third goal of mine, which was to find another homeless guy I could trust to hang with.....he would help keep an eye on the camp, hustle up food, panhandle etc. He also came in handy just for protection......someone is less likely to jump two guys than you all by your self.

I have a truck large enough to haul the things I need to get out of town and i would acquire a trailer by the best means available to haul th other necessary items to get where I need to get in the middle of nowhere, cache all of my goods in difficult places to even hike to, and move from one cache to another. when that runs out well i will do whatever I have to do survive, I have been through some very rough times before and am prepping best i can, so hopefully next time they are not as rough or if they are hopefully I will outlast those who are running around with heads in the sand and I will not have to compete with as many people, the down side is those who survive will be like me survivors and we will either have to work together or eliminate one another, thats way it will be.

Interesting thread to say the least.

Ive spent a lot of time (4-5 years on the road and rails, and then part-time homelessness after that) being homeless/houseless/living out of my pack.

There are I think some of the posters in the thread hit the nail on the head and some missed by a mile.

It's easy to judge others when you haven't lived the life they are living.

I have no wife or children that rely on me and a bunch of guns. If I so much as get a painful hangnail I am puttin' one in the temple.

But in all seriousness I don't remember where I herd the quote but someone once said "If you have to choose between making your car payment or your rent always pay for the car. You can live in a car but you cant drive a house."

I lost my apartment a few years back and technically lived in my car for a few months but in reality I couch surfed friends homes most nights.

Shadow Government Statistics : Home Page

» The Real Unemployment Rate Near 20% – Infowars Nightly News Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Is the Real Unemployment Rate 22.6%? - Real-Time Advice - SmartMoney

As most of you the official unemployment rate does not count people who are welfare, unemployment expired, did not qualify unemployment because of one reason or another, it is not unusual for companies to hire people in bad times and let the go just before they have the required amount of time to qualify for unemployment benefits this way the avaid having to pay when things turn south

This is off topic, but I agree, the unemployment rate is greatly under estmated. Currently 30% sounds like a better number. In some citys I would say higher.

I was cought in the 1980 save the spotted owl farce. Lost everything. So the wife and our 3 boys ended up living in a 16 ft camp trailer for 15 months. Since then we have always had a camp trailer. Trailer is always stocked and ready to go. The last trailer we had never left the property the 12 years we owned it, it was too big. Last year we gave it to someone who needed a place to live and bought a smaller new trailer. We will never be homeless again.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top