JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
most plans I see involve fortifying your house and prepping for a short term bug out to to another location.

but what if the situation is just a severe depression?
The Economy gets bad enough to where we have about 30% unemployment but the banks are still functioning enough to evict you when you lose your job and can't pay, and police forces are intact to enforce evictions.

no one to move in with, your friends and family have already sheltered too many people or been evicted themselves.

I think this likely situation could be more devastating for some people then a total collapse.

have you prepped for this? if so what steps have you taken?

even during 30% unemployment, i'll still have income. there's always jobs... and even if you're sweeping floors or standing at a cash register or washing windows for $7.80/hr, if you do enough of it, you can pay bills. i really think the difference between those who work and those who dont work is a matter of determination. there's a lot of people who only have a certain level of motivation- once they exhaust those resources they think are reasonable, they just throw their hands up. "well, i did the best i could."

I once bought a house as a rental. It needed a lot of work, but the floorplan still sucked. There were stairs which led out of the only bed room on the main floor to access the attic, which someone had tried to finish. They had build some crappy old wooden stairs on the outside as well. There was a single bathroom on the main floor, and it was ratty as heck, right off the bedroom. YOU HAD TO WALK THROUGH THE BEDROOM TO GET TO IT. (thats in caps for a reason). The basement had a single shower rigged in the corner of it, no toilet, but was an old terrible homeowner attempt at conversion. There was no way to get to the basement from inside of the house, you had to go outside of the building to get in or out of it from the only egress door.

One day, I'm sitting on the front porch after sweating balls to get this place ready to rent and a old dude comes wandering up. He says he use to live there. I'm overjoyed as I love talking to old folks and this one had sparkly eyes too. He says it had been...many ....many ...years ago.....so I smile in return and invite him for a tour or to share the porch. He goes poking around looking at the inside, and it turns out that this home, which we would most likely consider barely able to house a young couple adequately had been a rental during the great depression: WITH THE SAME (buttugly) FLOOR PLAN. But not as an overcrowded duplex with someone upstairs sharing the only bathroom, but as a triplex with 3 family's living in it. 3!! AND they all shared that single toilet, and would basically just wander into the main floor living space when they needed to use it. I doubt that any of us today would put up with that in anything less than critically extreme conditions, and in fact, it's probably illegal to do so.

What I learned from this is that we do not know half of what we are capable of IF WE HAVE TO. We can take a quick peek at prior years where folks had it rough and look at the amazing things we take for granted that they routinely just made due without (like during the depression -dishwashers, washing machines, lawnmowers, refrigerators, telephones etc etc let alone unimportant things like TV's, ipods, iphones and gameboy). Could we pull that crap out of our life's and make due?

Sure. We can. And we will: if we have too. God willing it never needs to occur.

Best to all of you, hug your kids and give thanks for what we all have. If it all disappears tomorrow, we will still have each other. (and you and yours might be living in my basement or I may be living in yours with you...or someones garage with a freshly dug outdoor toilet, we'll get through it)

Well first of all,the banks are probably struggling to keep up with evictions right now.If ,or should we say when,times go further south,they won't have the means to evict.It won't make sense anyway.As soon as they evict the people that ARE taking care of it,some lowlifes will move in.
Why would you kick out those who care about your property?

The police won't have time to enforce evictions as there will be lots of other things to occupy their time.
You know robberies,rapes,riot,ransackings,roving gangs

I would say that people in some high end houses will be evicted,but the other neighborhoods may not survive anyway.
As far as paying your bills? If the Big Depression II hits,the only thing that will need paying is the basics.Rent and power,maybe phone.I guess if you consider food a bill.
You won't need to pay card payments,boat payments,car payments or any of those.Noone will come get you or garnish your wages
Actually we could change the whole game if everyone just quit paying all their bills
it would be epic

Not until one corporation takes over and puts all exchanges on a credit system

I truly believe we will have another great depression very soon.

You won't need to pay card payments,boat payments,car payments or any of those.Noone will come get you or garnish your wages
Actually we could change the whole game if everyone just quit paying all their bills
it would be epic

How bout everyone with money in the stock market just go ahead and withdraw it all on the same day...

most plans I see involve fortifying your house and prepping for a short term bug out to to another location.

but what if the situation is just a severe depression?
The Economy gets bad enough to where we have about 30% unemployment but the banks are still functioning enough to evict you when you lose your job and can't pay, and police forces are intact to enforce evictions.

no one to move in with, your friends and family have already sheltered too many people or been evicted themselves.

I think this likely situation could be more devastating for some people then a total collapse.

have you prepped for this? if so what steps have you taken?

This!

Our economy would have been better off if the gov't had given the general population the bail out money. Then we could have made the payments to the banks, CU's etc. and the economy would have kept humming!!

If we lost the house we'd just move into the motorhome. Unless the gov't and state gov't completely fail we'll still have income and you can live pretty cheaply in an RV.

Here is the thing. We have this tendency to buy more house that we ought to. We take a 30 year mortgage, live the house an average of 7 years, then upgrade and take another 30 yr mortgage. And we keep doing that until we retire and since we still owe over 23yr on the last mortgage, we are forced to downgrade. We are never done with banks owning our homes! What about buying just enough home, getting a 30 yr, re-finance to 15yr as soon as you afford to, and add to the principal a couple thou every year. You'd own your home in 10-13yr. Then this whole thread would be moot.

Here is the thing. We have this tendency to buy more house that we ought to. We take a 30 year mortgage, live the house an average of 7 years, then upgrade and take another 30 yr mortgage. And we keep doing that until we retire and since we still owe over 23yr on the last mortgage, we are forced to downgrade. We are never done with banks owning our homes! What about buying just enough home, getting a 30 yr, re-finance to 15yr as soon as you afford to, and add to the principal a couple thou every year. You'd own your home in 10-13yr. Then this whole thread would be moot.

WOW glad I figured this out years ago. After two tramatic events causing us to have to refinance and pay bills with the money once we were close to caught up I managed to swing a 15 year fixed rate at 4.88% and in less then 6 years the house we bought in 1988 will be ours. It will also be worth 3 times what we originally paid and will have bailed our butts out of near bankruptcy twice.

House will be paid off 8 year before I hope to retire. That will give me about 8 years to save for retirement LOL.

Well first of all,the banks are probably struggling to keep up with evictions right now.If ,or should we say when,times go further south,they won't have the means to evict.It won't make sense anyway.As soon as they evict the people that ARE taking care of it,some lowlifes will move in.
Why would you kick out those who care about your property?

The police won't have time to enforce evictions as there will be lots of other things to occupy their time.
You know robberies,rapes,riot,ransackings,roving gangs

I would say that people in some high end houses will be evicted,but the other neighborhoods may not survive anyway.
As far as paying your bills? If the Big Depression II hits,the only thing that will need paying is the basics.Rent and power,maybe phone.I guess if you consider food a bill.
it would be epic

Not until one corporation takes over and puts all exchanges on a credit system

I truly believe we will have another great depression very soon.

Ever wonder why so many companies are trying to get people to "bundle" their bills?

jj

IIRC Ron Paul stated the real unemployment rate is around 22% so we are almost there.

Shadow Government Statistics : Home Page

» The Real Unemployment Rate Near 20% – Infowars Nightly News Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Is the Real Unemployment Rate 22.6%? - Real-Time Advice - SmartMoney

As most of you the official unemployment rate does not count people who are welfare, unemployment expired, did not qualify unemployment because of one reason or another, it is not unusual for companies to hire people in bad times and let the go just before they have the required amount of time to qualify for unemployment benefits this way the avaid having to pay when things turn south

Still have to pay property taxes every year. If you don't, the county owns the house.

Same deal as the banks.The Sheriff will have better things to do.
Nobody wants half of the population displaced.If the banks and counties displace enough people then they are going to go somewhere.
Where? Downtown to get benefits and protest all the evictions.
IF it gets bad enough the LEDs will have to stop enforcing all evictions to keep the peace.
Plus as soon as one family moves out,another will move in.Only the prime and tactically advantageous properties will be forcibly vacated.

Now if you are a bank or a municipality,do you really want all those people on your doorstep? P!ssed off?

Still have to pay property taxes every year. If you don't, the county owns the house.
Yeah, well, just like death... At least, once your're done with the banks, it's one less thing to worry about.

[rant]Now, that the property taxes topic has been raised, why is it that people keep voting for every stupid bond the city, county and state thinks they need only to complain later about how much PT they have to pay? :confused: We spoil our politicians! I can't have everything I want. When going on vacation can't go anywhere I want. I drive a 10 year old car I gotta hang on to for another 10 years. I don't get raises, my wife gets a pay-cut, both my kids can't find jobs. Yet, politicians get all the money they ask for from us dumb voters. Each November I get so p1$$3d I vote against all, knowing well my "enlightened" neighbors will make sure my vote does not count. People, just say NO! Then enjoy watching them politician throw a tantrum when they don't get their way.[/rant]

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top