Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Pre Lock S & W 686-3, 6" SS .357 Mag.

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by RVTECH, Sep 24, 2013.

1. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Found one in a local pawn shop. Dirty, but otherwise in great condition. Tight lockup and a great trigger. I shouldn't have picked it up. They're Asking $749.00. Good, bad or other opinions on that price? Thanks.

2. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

686-3 - so it should be a stainless .357 Mag. manufactured between 88 and 93 when the -4 came out, though there were some special runs made in the mid 80s that received a -3 as well.

Checking GB closed auctions that actually sold it appears that the 686-3s (various length barrel) have sold between $550 for a beater 2" up to $1675 for a new in box 4". Also, I recently saw a 686 National Match (production run of 500 by Bill Davis) offered for $2K.

sounds like the price is in the ball park but a hair on the high side for a run of the mill 6". There are options to consider though - little things like cylinder flute delete (smooth cylinder) can bump up the price.

3. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Check for cylinder end shake, at least

4. RVTECH

Sounds like an opening offer of $500 to me.

5. RVTECH

Is there a 'spec' for this with S & W?

6. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I was shopping for either a 686 or a GP100 a couple of years ago. Seems to me like that's a bit high for a used gun, especially if it's not a 686+ (7 shot). In fact, I could have bought a new one for that price. I'd think it's a $600-$650 gun, depending on how much you want it.

FYI, I paid $650 for my 4", 7 shot 686+, in the blue case and very clean. Yeah, that was almost two years ago, but I haven't seen revolver prices skyrocket quite like some other guns.

7. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever Central Oregon Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

I bought the same gun a couple months back for $475 off this forum. That price sounds way too high.

8. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Vancouver Well-Known Member

Depends on if the lock is a big deal to you. Mine has a lock, it's like tits on a boar, I'll never even look at it, let alone use it. The extra round is what I do use every time I shoot it. So for me, I'd get a new 686+ which is what I did. But if you want a pre lock gun, it's a gun I would never get rid of so in the coming years it shouldn't matter what you paid for it.

9. willseeker

willseeker N. Portland. Well-Known Member

Some of the early pre-locks had very finely tuned triggers.
    Most of my 686's, 27's and 66's that are pre-lock, have light triggers.

Having said that, no original box? original wood grips? Worth $550.00 to $600.00

Be well,
    Will

10. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

It's more of an acquired feel.. if there is appreciable wobble once the gun is cocked.. you can also check for cylinder chamber alignment by looking down the bore with each cylinder cocked, using one eye to check for misalingment. If you have thin feeler gauges you can also check for cylinder/forcing cone gap..