JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I came across this today and thought it was kind of cool:

http://www.militarygunsupply.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=813

Looks like you can order a genuine surplus military rifle direct from the distributor with no FFL required. And in .308, no less! I did a bit of "Google Fu" and it looks like these will fire modern ammo and are good, solid rifles. And no yellow form required! Can't imagine this loophole won't be closed someday, but until then seems like a good deal. Has anyone here bought one of these?

I came across this today and thought it was kind of cool:

http://www.militarygunsupply.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=813

Looks like you can order a genuine surplus military rifle direct from the distributor with no FFL required. And in .308, no less! I did a bit of "Google Fu" and it looks like these will fire modern ammo and are good, solid rifles. And no yellow form required! Can't imagine this loophole won't be closed someday, but until then seems like a good deal. Has anyone here bought one of these?

There are all sorts of guns you can buy without a C&R or FFL. Any receiver manufactured before Jan 1, 1899 is an antique. Interestingly, a lot of Mosin-Nagants that were refurbed in the 30s are still antiques because their receivers were made in the 1890s. Ditto for Turks, though they are often stamped "1936" or whatever and nervous dealers will insist on a C&R or FFL.

http://www.rawles.to/Pre-1899_FAQ.html

If memory serves, the Chilean Mausers are small-ring Mauser 95 actions. They are not as safe as the Mauser 98s, but I wouldn't say they are "unsafe" by any means. I would wear shooting glasses and not start with a hot load ;-)

Keep in mind that for $30, you can get a C&R and a huge world of bolt-action rifles opens up.

Right now, the best C&R deals I see are Swiss K-31s because of their legendary action (~$200), Mosin-Nagants (~$100, but condition varies widely), and Yugo 24/47s and M48s ($200-240).

Yes, A C&R license it a great way to go................ Most guns that are at least 50 years old qualify, and that includes a lot of guns.

Bolt actions, Garands, M1 Carbines, Lugers, High Powers and Takarevs just to name a few. Also, many newer guns have been designated as C&R by the BATFE including CZ82's and non Chinese SKS's.

If you have a C&R license, you can have these shipped to your door without the extra paperwork. And most distributors will give you the wholesale price.

You will probably save the 30.00 C&R license fee on the first gun you buy!

Sounds like I might need to get a C&R. I wish I knew someone who had one who could walk me through the steps. ;)

It's not hard.

Go to the ATF web site and request the C&R application form. Wait a couple weeks for it to come in the mail (no, you can't just print out a PDF - it's stupid).

Fill it out. Send a copy to the ATF (with a $30 check) and to the chief law enforcement officer in your area (local police or sheriff). Wait 3-6 weeks and your C&R will come.

Don't sign it. Make copies, and give signed copies to people you buy C&R guns from.

That's really all there is to it...it's very easy.

I believe there is also an obscure ATF regulation that requires you to post detailed pictures of all cool C&R guns that you buy on NWFA.

I think getting the C&R license would be better than ordering pre 98 guns. I'm not sure that those old "veterans" would be what you would want in a SHTF situation. And, as smonk says, you can get Garands, and other up-to-date (less than 100 years old) firearms. So, if you have a large "wish list", go for the C&R.

Right on Dario541. There are pre 98 guns out there that are shootable, but they don't compare to the variety and quality of a lot of the C&R guns you can buy.

I think getting the C&R license would be better than ordering pre 98 guns. I'm not sure that those old "verterans" would be what you would want in a SHTF situation. And, as smonk says, you can get Garands, and other up-to-date (less than 100 years old) firearms. So, if you have a large "wish list", go for the C&R.

I have several Mosin Nagants that are antiques and the receivers are just as strong as their more modern counterparts. A definite benefit to owning an antique is that there is Absolutely no paper trail back to you.

Keith

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top