JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Real problem is lax justice system, not lax gun laws

Two high-profile fatal shootings this week, including one in south King County for which a 19-year-old suspect was booked into jail early yesterday, offer ample evidence that there is a violent crime problem but it's not because of lax gun laws.

<broken link removed>

I think we need to start being careful about demanding enforcement of the current laws. With the new background check laws and registration we could be putting our own necks in the noose. We need to attempt to control the conversation with misleading initiave titles, ie "effective gun control and background check reform" rolling back 594, and putting a "more efficent, cost effective and results-oriented legislation to reduce gun violence" throw in a gun registration initiave call it the "Assault weapons registaration act" require all assault weapons in wa be registered in the state, define assault weapons as full autos and effectively ban any other type of gun registration in wa state, etc.. let's use the lefts own playbook against it.

Last Edited:
MSN ran an article a month ago. A gang banger in Detroit in his early twenty's. He had been arrested seven times for carrying an illegal gun. Each time he received a slap on the wrist and was put back on the streets. And, yes he is again carrying an illegal gun as he has no fear of anything happening to him if he is caught again.

This is what is wrong with our society today. Little Johnny gets caught shoplifting, no no Johnny, bad boy, slap on the wrist. Well that didn't hurt so he keep shoplifting. Then he moves up in the wonderful world of crime and burglarizes the neighbors house. Same thing, no no Johnny, bad boy, slap on the wrist. So little Johnny moves on up to stealing cars, armed robbery and other crimes.

We are not doing little Johnny any favors by teaching him that there are no consequences for his actions, we are actully enabling and encouraging him to commit crimes.

I an not suggesting that we lock him up and throw away the key, as that would only make matters worse. Some tough love is needed at a early age to teach our young children that there are consequences for commiting a crime. Maybe a weekend in lockup in isolation. Then up the penalty next time. Maybe a boot camp for repeat offenders. We would be actually doing these kids a favor and saving them in the long run.

Society is creating the crime problem with the current system and lack of any consequences for their actions.

I agree that recidivism is responsible for a large portion of our 10,000 gun murders, however our society pays much more attention to 200 mass shooting victims than to the remaining 9,800 single shooting victims. In part because of media attention to the "bloodier the better", but in part also because we consider underprivileged drug dealers that die in turf wars "expendable". My suspicion is that many judges hand out these lenient sentences because deep inside they put some blame on society for not offering better options for young minority males (mostly) to get proper education and make a life for themselves.

If we want to make progress, we need to address education and poverty. No way around it.

Here is a case of a miscreant who has three arrests since 2012. In the first arrest he has a felony charge in the arrest. In his arrest three days ago he only has a misdemeanor weapon charge. I want to know WHY this latest arrest doesn't come with a "Felon in Possession" charge? Yeah, I already know why, the 2012 charge was, most likely, plead down to some misdemeanor, or dropped all together!

This guy has been packing a firearm, and one of these days is likely to shoot something up and WE will be the ones to hear about it with more laws making it harder/more expensive for the law abiding.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads