JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
February is to be the annual "Sniper Shoot": Having attended in November, I have an idea of the overall area, but am curious about the setup for the sniper comp. Will the course involve shooting beyond 300 meters? What are the usual types of hardware/ammo involved?

This info will affect my decision on AR15 (20 inch barrel) or ACR (16 inch barrel) or bolt-action .300 Win Mag.

Otherwise, I'll see you all next Saturday for the monthly shoot.

Thanks.

I would like to come to one of these matches, but I have one concern currently I only have an ak-74. I saw that steel core ammo is prohibited and that you used the magnet test. My question is if I used wolf brand or similar ammo that was lead core am I in the clear, or not since it will still be magnetic since it is steel cased?

They only care that the projectile is not steel cored. Bring a box that the ammo came in also.

Not exactly true.

I often RO at PR and have DQed guys for having steel ammo. If either the jacket or the core is steel, the ammo is banned and will get you kicked. Steel cases are perfectly ok, but be prepared to get a bullet pulled to prove that it's that case that's sticking to the magnet and not the projectile.

Magnetic projectile bad, magnet case no one cares.

H

From last years February sniper match regarding caliber:

"To save our steel targets there is a limit of 30 caliber. You can shoot a magnum if you must, but no 338 or ultra-mags."

If you're going to shoot the sniper match, get your dope straight.

Know how many clicks you need to hit a gnat in the right nut at 37 yards in a 12 mph crosswind at 58 degrees, when the temp is 42 degrees and the barometric pressure is 987 mB.

They like to have at least one close range precision stage, and that totally screws the guys that only practice at 300+ yards.

H

I'm interested in getting involved but I'm not ready to jump in and compete yet. Could I come down and watch one of these events? I'd be happy to take the safety brief and help post targets or clean-up.

I'm not ready to jump in and compete yet

No one ever is their 1st time, quit being a pansy and just shoot the match. People get too worked up about how bad they'll do....we don't care, the whole point ( well for me ) is to come out and get a chance to shoot my rifle and have a good time with my friends.

Unka-Boob is right. If you show up to just watch you'll be hating that you're not shooting within 15 minutes.

We all had to lose our cherry sometime...

H

If you're going to shoot the sniper match, get your dope straight.

Know how many clicks you need to hit a gnat in the right nut at 37 yards in a 12 mph crosswind at 58 degrees, when the temp is 42 degrees and the barometric pressure is 987 mB.

They like to have at least one close range precision stage, and that totally screws the guys that only practice at 300+ yards.

H

And at 12,000 feet elevation!

:)

No one ever is their 1st time, quit being a pansy and just shoot the match. People get too worked up about how bad they'll do....we don't care, the whole point ( well for me ) is to come out and get a chance to shoot my rifle and have a good time with my friends.

Agreed: I have only shot one (in November), and expect to do better tomorrow than I did then. I compete against myself - and the target arrays. And I watch and learn.

I occasssinaly run stages as an RO at the PR matches- there's a strong emphasis on safety for Tyros - 1st time shooters. Come to the traing day with 30-50 rounds of lead core ammo(absolutely not amor piercing), your rifle, a case or bag,a chamber flag and ear & eye protection and you'll be coached for the match....then shoot a match...it's fun!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top