JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think the email address is one that belongs to a group - probably another special sign in. - Bet you he does not look at them.
I tried to contact him that way and got zero response.

How to contact him? Go to monthly meeting, He use to put on the Practical Rifle pre-qual.

I occasssinaly run stages as an RO at the PR matches- there's a strong emphasis on safety for Tyros - 1st time shooters. Come to the traing day with 30-50 rounds of lead core ammo(absolutely not amor piercing), your rifle, a case or bag,a chamber flag and ear & eye protection and you'll be coached for the match....then shoot a match...it's fun!

I thought I replied; weird. Is there a schedule for training days? thx

Sweet Vid!...gives us FNG's a look at what to expect when we jump in to our first match. I picked up my first AK today at the Hillsboro show. It's a Bulgarian 74 with a Nodak reciever. I have a Red Star Arms trigger ordered and then just gotta get some range time and see how it runs. I am gonna open up the notch on the rear sight a bit and then try and learn to shoot it with the irons before I jump into some "exotic" sighting system.

Sweet Vid!...gives us FNG's a look at what to expect when we jump in to our first match. I picked up my first AK today at the Hillsboro show. It's a Bulgarian 74 with a Nodak reciever. I have a Red Star Arms trigger ordered and then just gotta get some range time and see how it runs. I am gonna open up the notch on the rear sight a bit and then try and learn to shoot it with the irons before I jump into some "exotic" sighting system.

Start gathering up some Hornady 5.45 and you can shoot it at the match....iron sight AKs work there too.

And " a little moist"....I opened the passenger door to my truck to discover that my windshield started leaking...SPLOOSH! I didn't get warm til about 6 last night...

Just do it.. I bought my first AR last May and did every PR match since then with iron sights, good way to learn your rifle and yourself. Got a red dot for Christmas, so giving that a try this year.

Great match yesterday- not for the meek. I RO'd stage 2 for most of the match. Good to see all of the new shooters....it could've been a bit more muddy....
Stage 4 was a disaster for me and my mad M1A skills...it is not a great CQB rifle...

Seems very much like a pistol match, is there anything specific to rifle that's different in terms of safety and handling?

Are there classifications, like IPSC, or is it just one big class? If so, what's the minimum amount equipment to really enjoy (I imagine irons at 300m is not going to be fun, no bipod for prone)?

Thanks.

To compete you'll need: chamber flag, eye and ear protection, minimum two mags, 80-100 rounds ammo (unless you miss a lot). You can use a bipod if you wish, but in most cases it will get in your way and slow you down. The terrain is uneven and rocky so knee pads are not a bad idea. I usually don't wear them and I come home from most matches scraped and cut. There aren't really classes like IPSC but the scores show Optic, Iron, Women, Tyro.

Thanks, and finally what are the range procedures/ firearm handling rules (i.e., locked back bolt, safety on; unload-show clear? on-course/off-course, bagged, chamber flag, etc.)?

180/ sweep rule?

Are there schedules, match scores, etc., and more info online?

Thanks!

Range procedures as best I can recall are the following:
- All rifles are cased unless you are told to uncase
- All rifles will be cased in either a hard or soft case that fully encases the rifle
-All shooters will have a chamber flag in their rifle when they at not shooting-available at sign up for $1
-Cases should be marked so that the muzzle is always pointed downrange as the case is opened (penalties or DQ for opening with muzzle in wrong direction.
- Dont cross your hand or anyother part of your body with the muzzle (penalties or DQ)
- shooters will be assigned a squad at signup
-shooters will have the stages explained after registration and there will be a stage walk-through as each squad reaches a new stage
-the match directors word is final- if you have a beef, take it up with him
-ROs control each stage- listen to them
- the ROs may assign a scorekeeper to keep track of hits while the RO oversees the safety of the shooter.
-shooters may be warned penalized or DQ'd for not following the ROs commands.
-you must keep the muzzle pointed down or flat- never elevated as elevation may cause a round to leave the range- that is bad. First muzzle elevation violation gets a warning- the second gets you DQ'd.
-same rules for 180 degree rule but there is no warning- muzzles must point downrange at all times.
-shoot what you brought- you cannot add or remove hardware from your rifle form stage to stage....if you start with a bipod, you shoot all stages with the bipod attached.
-RO will ask you if you understand the course of fire. If you respond with a yes, you will be instructed to uncase your rifle.
-RO will remove or be handed your chamber flag
-you may only extend your stock when uncasing- all other rifle prep takes place after the buzzer I.e. turning you optics on, flipping your bipod down, removing your lens caps, etc.
-RO will give you the command of "load and make ready". In some cases this may mean a closed bolt on an empty chamber in other cases it may mean a chambered round. It's stage dependent..
-RO will ask you "is the shooter ready."
- if you nod or respond with a yes, you will here the RO say "standby"
-once the shot timer sounds you will begin the course of fire
-once you are done, the RO will ask you if you have completed the course of fire. If you respond with a nod or a yes you will be asked to unload your rifle and show the RO an empty chamber- the RO will reinsert your chamber flag and you will be instructed to case your rifle.
- once the rifle is cased the RO will shout your time to the score keeper and note your score-if hits are being counted
-shooter will be expected to tape and reset targets as necessary... If you don't help you'll get chewed on...

Don't get too caught up on the rules and procedures yet.
All new shooters will be expected to attend a Friday afternoon safety session/ briefing and all new shooters (tyros) will be paired with a buddy for their first match.
You will be immediately booted if you are found to be shooting steel core or AP ammo- you may also be charged for the targets you damage. At most matches ammo is checked with a magnet- if your ammo is magnetic, don't bother bringing it.
Shooters are expected to behave in a mature and sportsman-like manner- behavior to the contrary and cheating might get you DQ'd or permanently banned from PR.

I know I've probably left a lot of points out but that should give you some idea of how things are run. It's fun. Eat well, bring a lunch, dress for bubblegumty weather and mud (you may be prone in it!) and zero your weapon at 50yds ( the same as 200 for the .223).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top