JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi

I am looking for bullets for my .32S&W caases to reload with black powder. I have some 105 gr DE wadcutters that I use in my .32S&W long but are too big for my .32S&W loads. I haven't reloaded in awhile and found looking that powder coated bullets are cheaper than regular lead bullets. Anybody here have any experience with coated bullets and black powder? It would seem to me it would make a big mess but I read a little bit about it and they said no mess. I just want to shoot my over 100 year old pocket top breaks a few times.

Hi

I am looking for bullets for my .32S&W caases to reload with black powder. I have some 105 gr DE wadcutters that I use in my .32S&W long but are too big for my .32S&W loads. I haven't reloaded in awhile and found looking that powder coated bullets are cheaper than regular lead bullets. Anybody here have any experience with coated bullets and black powder? It would seem to me it would make a big mess but I read a little bit about it and they said no mess. I just want to shoot my over 100 year old pocket top breaks a few times.
Can you use FMJ bullets?

I haven't tried PC with BP yet, but it seems like it should work okay with a soft lead. Maybe put some soft lube in the lube channels on the bullet to keep the BP residue soft. Interesting question. If you figure something out I would be interested to hear the results. I've always wanted to try some black powder 38.

I wish I did...
I haven't used powder coated bullets with black powder cartridge guns.

That said...
At a club I once belonged to...a member used powder coated lead round balls for his rifle and cap and ball revolvers.
He swore it worked better than non powder coated lead...
I really didn't see the point or the "better".

In any event...I would think that for the OP , it wouldn't really matter either...
Maybe the OP could load with .32 round ball...?
Andy

I wish I did...
I haven't used powder coated bullets with black powder cartridge guns.

That said...
At a club I once belonged to...a member used powder coated lead round balls for his rifle and cap and ball revolvers.
He swore it worked better than non powder coated lead...
I really didn't see the point or the "better".

In any event...I would think that for the OP , it wouldn't really matter either...
Maybe the OP could load with .32 round ball...?
Andy
Well if it's cooked right the PC has very similar properties to soft lead. It won't Crack it just conforms under pressure. It makes a great bullet gasket to keep the gas pressure behind the projectile. It's really replaced wax/alox lubes for me in my older smokeless revolvers. I don't see why it wouldn't work in a Black Powder cartridge. Other than maybe the lube helps keep the powder fouling soft. But it's black powder everything's going to get filthy anyway haha

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top