JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Figured i'd throw this one up for a little discussion, this was on a door for a building in the Canyon Village area, the building was for food/gifts etc. I was curious if the "specifically authorised" section would refer to concealed carry license holders.

IMG_20200922_154555.jpg

Can you carry a weapon in other areas of the park? I don't remember when we went some years ago. Federal property vs state property. I carried for the trip but for the park, again what ever the rule was at the time.

Honestly the prices an quality of food and parking concern me more. As many or more European and Asian tourists than American when we went. I don't know if the signs or rule would prevent me going back to Yellowstone. Maybe some other places.

It's honestly a little unclear as to 'yellowstone area' vs. yellowstone park specifically....

I know that federal/state parks are different in regards to carrying, but i am honestly not fully certain and probably should be.

www.nps.gov

Possession of Firearms in National Park Units

In areas administered by the National Park Service, an individual can possess a firearm if that individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm and if the possession of the firearm complies with the laws of the state where the park area is located. 54 U.S.C. 104906.

Possession of Firearms in Federal Facilities

Unless expressly authorized, Federal law prohibits the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon in NPS facilities. These buildings include, but are not limited to, government offices, visitor centers, ranger stations, fee collection buildings, and maintenance facilities. 18 U.S.C. 930.

...It appears you entered a federal employee breakroom disguised as a visitor center.

Interesting they'd include a snack/restaurant building in that.... :rolleyes:
Any building from my understanding; I heard there was a restroom exception, but I have not been able to find it. Anyone???

From the NPS website:

Possession of Firearms in Federal Facilities​

Unless expressly authorized, Federal law prohibits the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon in NPS facilities. These buildings include, but are not limited to, government offices, visitor centers, ranger stations, fee collection buildings, and maintenance facilities. 18 U.S.C. 930.​

But then I found this gem, also on the NPS website:

If a park is located in a jurisdiction where the applicable state and local laws grant reciprocity to non-resident firearm owners, then consistent with the applicable law, the park will equally recognize the reciprocity. For information on state and local laws, please contact the state and locality where the park is located.​

In the past, I had been informed that if you did not have the state specific CHL where the park was located then you were not allowed to carry. This does not seem to be the official NPS opinion as of now (consistent with other information finding in the current rabbit hole I'm falling into).

I work for the feds and use firearms on the job daily. I was told by our state director it's against the law for me to carry my pistol concealed while on the job, but yet I have 4 or more firearms in my government truck everyday. I've carried on the job concealed for 18 years now. Alot of the goverment rules will never make sence to me

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top