JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So i have a remington 700 that my dad gave me in 30-06. Thing has never shot good. Factory ammo. Reloads. Just will not shoot good. I wanna get rid of it by my old man gave it too me. So i guess i should give it to a gun smith and have them build me a rifle. Any recomendations for a gun smith or rifle builder. I want it i, 280 ai 26in barrel and sub 7lbs.

Easy, @Velzey is your huckleberry!
He can get that rifle shooting strait in no time!

Curious, when was it made, and how does the bore/crown look? Even the Junk Remmy's still shoot kinda good, usually the good Remmy's shoot lights out!

How old is the gun? Is the rifling still there? Also, 30-06 is a stout load for many shooters, moreso, if you are a new shooter. Remy 700 action is usually what many people start with when building up a rifle. I am not a Remy fan and has nothing to do with the brand, I prefer CRFs. I have a 700 in .270 Win and it shoots very well.

It was bought somewhere around 2010 and ive put about 200 rounds threw it. Rifling looks good to me but i realy dont know. Ive shot a in group with it threw a lead sled and it acts like it wont hold 0. So i put a new scope and base on it. And still acts like it wont hold 0. Best ive got out of it is 2moa. I figgure i should just ditch the 30/06 and get the thing built into a bad bubblegum rifle

Well, I am no expert, but I stopped buying junk rifle scopes; is the new scope considered 'junk?' I am not talking about dropping serious cash on a scope but my bottom base line is $150 by reputable brands, used to be much lower. Was it bought new around 2010?
There is nothing wrong with the 30-06. Make sure the rings and bases are tight, that cartridge is no slouch. If anything the barrel might be bad, or.....you may have a great flinch. Do not pull and jerk the gun, squeeze the trigger after exhale. Again, I do not know your shooting experiences, so I do not want to repeat what you already know.

If you have had the floor plate off..............Tighten the forward lug screw and the rear lug screw (behind trigger guard) to 60 INCH pounds. It sounds like you have a loose receiver. Put equal pressure fore and aft at 60 in pounds. Should solve your problem. First place I would go.

Remington are hit and miss, going back decades. For what it would cost to blueprint it, drill new base holes , and hang a premium barrel you could just buy a high quality rifle for less.

Bergera HMR and Tikka CTR are both hammers and can be found for under $1K.

The entire precision rifle community was built around fixing Remington screwed up manufacturing of model 700s. Thankfully there are so many good custom actions on the market, and pre-fit barrels we really have so many options today.

If the rifle has sentimental value throw it in back of safe and forget it about it. Trying to fix it will most likely be throwing good money after bad.

There is some really good info here- check your action screws and make sure you don't have a bind in it. What does the brass look like? If it is out of headspace, chances are you will see a line at the web of the case from separation starting. The primer might also be backed out if it is extreme. Did you push the barrel out with a couple of patches before shooting to clear any of the chips, oil, etc. left after they cut the rifling? It could be a million things, good luck on your '06. Last thought- plastic "tupperware" stock or one of the wood models?

David and team out at Brimstone Gunsmithing is another great guy who can sort this out for you. Convenient for us guys in the 'Couv. Done lots of work for me, easy to recommend.

Read the first message about the 700 not shooting and thought DEEP cleaning the barrel. Got one gun in and the barrel had to be a .29 cal with copper! Wish I could have got the copper out in pieces instead of dissolving it, I could have sold it for the metal value!

CLEAN the barrel, check the muzzle (crown and diameter of bore), tighten all screws, put a different scope on it (you would be amazed at how many rifles that "don't shoot" do with a new/different scope!) Check bedding, see if stock is hitting stock anywhere other than bottom of tip.

If you have done all that already, sorry to rehash it, but it is amazing how many people don't and want me to fix it for them.

It was bought somewhere around 2010 and ive put about 200 rounds threw it. Rifling looks good to me but i realy dont know. Ive shot a in group with it threw a lead sled and it acts like it wont hold 0. So i put a new scope and base on it. And still acts like it wont hold 0. Best ive got out of it is 2moa. I figgure i should just ditch the 30/06 and get the thing built into a bad bubblegum rifle
I have a .30-06 that shoots 1/2" groups at 100 yards. The caliber is not the problem. Talk to a gunsmith about getting the barrel free floated and the action pillar bedded. Also, did you lap the scope rings before installing the scope? Is everything in the scope mounting hardware loc-tited and secure? There are lots of reasons why a rifle might not hold zero. You have a quality scope, but even good equipment fails sometimes. Vortex has a lifetime, no questions asked warranty. If you find something wrong with the scope call them, and they'll replace it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top