JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Saw many a Communist die from .308 rounds fired from a Marine sniper's Remington. "It is a poor workman that blames his tools for poor results." I suggest that you check your own eyesight, shooting form, trigger control and other related techniques before moving to the rifle. Did your dad also complain about the rifle?

In addition to what others have said previously, I would suggest you slug the barrel FIRST and have the chamber cast. A good gunsmith can do this easily. Depending on what you find as a result of doing that will determine which direction to go. Bedding and freefloating will help. Accuracy problems can be simple or difficult to remedy. (Read, expensive or cheap).
I have seen many a crown damaged due to improper cleaning from the muzzle end. Cheap fix. A barrel out of spec or with a bad chamber, not such a cheap fix.
Keep in mind, while the remington is a fine action capable of great accuracy. It was designed to be produced as economically as possible. Hence the round receiver and separate recoil lug. Proper assembly and stock fit are critical.

bear in mind evaluation by a good gunsmith is primary, take his advice. If you go in with predetermined ideas and self diagnoses, it would be like going to the doctor and telling him what's wrong and how to treat it.

Last Edited:
So i have a remington 700 that my dad gave me in 30-06. Thing has never shot good. Factory ammo. Reloads. Just will not shoot good. I wanna get rid of it by my old man gave it too me. So i guess i should give it to a gun smith and have them build me a rifle. Any recomendations for a gun smith or rifle builder. I want it i, 280 ai 26in barrel and sub 7lbs.

Assuming its older If you can have top notch gun smith fix it right you might be better off than investing into a new mim part wonder .once its fix right it should last a lifetime.or longer.

While I have moved on to higher end rifles, my go to backup is the first rifle I ever bought over 20-25 years ago Remington 700 SPS BDL in 300WM, with a Leupold VX2 3-9-50 (Bought it at GI JOES)( god I miss that place). I will shoot 3/4 groups all day long at 200yards. Have harvested many elk, bear, and several deer with it. Has thousands and thousands of airline miles on it. Still looks great. It was my also my first lesson on why Leupold is the best. I has never ever lost zero since the day I owed it. Probably only has 200 rounds through it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top