JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@Cool Breeze

I see in your OP that you want no crazy rules. You might want to check what you mean vs what the range means. I want everyone to be safe and to follow all the rules.

Tri-County has a strict No Muzzle Over the Berm rule that some people think is crazy.
But, there are 2 cities and many businesses in 9mm range !

If you come to shoot Steel and/or IDPA, you'll be required to follow that rule.

http://www.tcgc.org/

Crazy Rule #2 - you cannot handle a firearm anywhere except on the firing line. If you carry concealed, as many people do, how do you de-gun ? Not in your car, not in the parking lot !
There are safe ways to handle that, but you need to be observed by someone who is certified - and that is one reason I told you to contact the MD before either of the events.

I don't find the no muzzle over the berm nor no handling firearms rules to be crazy. But there are people who do. And some people look down the barrel from the muzzle end to check on squibs.

Scan thru the Competition Forum - for other ideas
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/forums/competitive-shooting.9/

Hi all, I'm new to the Portland, OR area. I love to shoot USPSA/IDPA like shooting and and especially Steel. I don't need a course of fire, I just need to be able to practice practical shooting (drawing from holster, shooting fast on a timer, etc). Are there any places that you recommend to go to do this? I would be willing to drive up to 1.5 hours away, maybe 2 depending but would prefer to stay in the sub 1.5 hour range. I don't care if it is in Washington either.

I shoot mostly pistol and am mostly looking for:

• No crazy range officers or rules
  • Ability to shoot from holster
  • No rules regarding speed of fire - things like drawing from holster and shooting 2 shots as quickly as I can on a timer are things I regularly do.
  • Preferably an option to shoot steel targets
  • No problem if membership is required but hopefully there is no wait list
  • Not too crowded. I don't want to drive 2 hours to a place and then have to wait 2 hours for an opening.
  • Generally nice people or as few people as possible.
Thank you!
You might look into Albany Rifle and Pistol Club www.arpc.info It's about an hour and a half south of P-town.

I'm a member at Tri-County GC......it's about 30 minutes south of Portland. Except for sighting in rifles at the 100yd range I haven't been in close to 2 years now (been super busy with renovating a house and getting married) so things may have changed but they have like 15 dedicated horseshoe shaped "action range" bays of various sizes. So you can basically grab an empty bay and do whatever you like there as long as you adhere to some basic rules. I would always get one of the smaller ones and just set up my own steel targets and do my own USPSA practices drawing from a holster and moving around. You do need to be certified to use the bays by yourself but that was just a little couple hour class that was basically just filled with common sense info.

As long as your muzzle isn't going over the berms (and there's no reason for it to...they're good height berms) or you didn't break the 180 rule (muzzle doesn't go past 90 degrees in either direction if you're facing perpendicular to downrange) then you're good to go. There were other rules like don't have ammo in the gun until you are facing downrange and ready to fire but that's all simple...you just had your gun holstered but didn't insert a magazine until you were ready to draw. You could also shoot shotgun and pistol calibered rifles which was nice.

Like i said it's been a while since i've been there though so i'm not sure if they have any new rules.

It was kinda busy on weekends due to sanctioned matches but I would always just go after work or keep an eye on the schedule to make sure it wasn't a match day......or I would often go shoot in the speed steel and IPSC matches too since they are fun.

CVCS (Dundee) membership is full for this year.

In addition to having a nice variety of shooting areas at the range, the drive back to Dundee has a couple of fantastic views. Too bad there isn't anywhere to pull over to drink it in.

In addition to having a nice variety of shooting areas at the range, the drive back to Dundee has a couple of fantastic views. Too bad there isn't anywhere to pull over to drink it in.
And it is always so much fun to arrive at Dundee, where Hwy 99W CHOKES down to one lane in each direction.:eek:

Yeah I noticed that too...that sucks. That being said, I'm not sure what the wait time is at Tri County despite them being open for membership so it is probably the same. Looks like Douglas Ridge might be the only viable option that is close with Albany being a second option if I feel like driving over an hour more.

Went to Douglas Ridge Saturday evening with a guy I met through a friend of mine. It was nice facilities. They just did a cleanup earlier that day and the conditions were really mint! Awesome work guys! There was only one other guy there shooting his rifle. We shot in the 100 yard rifle range with his rifles and then shot pistol on the dynamic range. There were steel targets set up for the 3 gun on Sunday but none for us to use. We used the paper and all was well. If we brought up or own steel targets it would have made the day. Great time!

So what's the best way to get back to Sherwood from the Team Croc match. I've tried to turn left on 99 for 10 minutes.

Come about halfway down the hill, turn left. Go a few blocks, turn right. That will bring
you to the traffic light at the school. Wait for the left turn signal.

Try running it in reverse when you go to the match---turn right at light etc.

So what's the best way to get back to Sherwood from the Team Croc match. I've tried to turn left on 99 for 10 minutes.

coming out of the park, turn left and go North on Worden hill road. It terminates at Hwy 240. A right turn toward east there will eventually lead to the southwest end of Newberg.

I'm fortunate as I live in North Newberg, so it's about the same distance but no traffic. For you, it will be a long cut.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top