JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all, I'm new to the Portland, OR area. I love to shoot USPSA/IDPA like shooting and and especially Steel. I don't need a course of fire, I just need to be able to practice practical shooting (drawing from holster, shooting fast on a timer, etc). Are there any places that you recommend to go to do this? I would be willing to drive up to 1.5 hours away, maybe 2 depending but would prefer to stay in the sub 1.5 hour range. I don't care if it is in Washington either.

I shoot mostly pistol and am mostly looking for:

• No crazy range officers or rules
  • Ability to shoot from holster
  • No rules regarding speed of fire - things like drawing from holster and shooting 2 shots as quickly as I can on a timer are things I regularly do.
  • Preferably an option to shoot steel targets
  • No problem if membership is required but hopefully there is no wait list
  • Not too crowded. I don't want to drive 2 hours to a place and then have to wait 2 hours for an opening.
  • Generally nice people or as few people as possible.
Thank you!

I could absolutely be wrong but there are not any ranges in the area that allow holster draw unless it is a scheduled event that I know of.

You would have to find some forestry land for that.

I could absolutely be wrong but there are not any ranges in the area that allow holster draw unless it is a scheduled event that I know of.

You would have to find some forestry land for that.
Thanks for your response. That seems pretty silly but it could very well be the case. I honestly don't know. I read on one indoor range website that you needed a separate certification which costs x amount of dollars to draw from the holster there which is why I asked the question. Seemed just like a money maker to me. If that is the case, I can always shoot from a compressed ready but hopefully it is not the case. Thanks again.

Thanks for your response. That seems pretty silly but it could very well be the case. I honestly don't know. I read on one indoor range website that you needed a separate certification which costs x amount of dollars to draw from the holster there which is why I asked the question. Seemed just like a money maker to me. If that is the case, I can always shoot from a compressed ready but hopefully it is not the case. Thanks again.

I'm sure it's a liability issue - I'm sure you have heard your share of horror stories about people shooting themselves in the leg trying to get faster.

I would call Duglas Ridge Rifle Clun and Tri (city or county, I can never remember) those would be the top two in the area. After that I guess Google local shooting ranges and call them all, maybe they would have better ideas as to where to go.

I do know that DRRC got rid of thier steel on the pistol range because people were using green tip 5.56 and tore up all the targets.

They do host 3 gun events though as well so may have a place to practice.

I'm a member at Douglas Ridge, and it meets most of your requirements. It does get busier on the weekends, but I've never yet been crowded out. Weekdays are best if you can do it.

EDIT - correcting my earlier entry - you can draw from a holster, if not on a concrete slab (such as on the Dynamic or Tactical shotgun ranges) - only exception to drawing from a holster on concrete is that you are under direct supervision of a certified instructor approved by the CRSO - thanks to Rick Benjamin for catching that.

Regarding steel targets, they are allowed on the Dynamic, Silhouette and Tactical Shotgun Bay areas. Steel targets in the Tactical Shotgun Bay, they are allowed for handgun, rimfire and shotgun pellets - no rifle (except for rimfire). On the Silhouette range, black powder guns and pistol caliber carbines, handguns, and shotguns firing slugs only are allowed on steel targets. On the dynamic range, they do allow centerfire rifle on steel/reactionary targets at a minimum 50 yard distance. All this is from the most current DRRC handbook: http://www.douglasridge.org/drrc_handbook.pdf

Everyone I've met there so far have been good folks. I wouldn't call the range officers crazy, but safety is #1 and rules are strictly enforced - don't break the rules, and they'll leave you be. And currently, no waiting list to join. They hold a variety of matches and training classes including IDPA, CMP, Appleseed, Rimfire Challenge and others throughout the year. Thursdays, the range is restricted for use by long-range shooters, out to 1,000 yards. They also have an archery range, if that's of any interest.

They're worth checking out. As far as I know, all the other ranges in the area have waiting lists of at least a year - some out several years. http://www.douglasridge.org/

Last Edited:
"One exception is that, as of just recently, you can no longer draw from a holster unless you're under the supervision of a certified instructor."Incorrect

Simple rule of thumb, don't draw from a holster while standing on a concrete slab.
Exception: unless under the supervision of a certified instructor approved by the DRRC CRSO.

Indoor range 29 bullet holes into a baffle over lane #1, bullet hole into side wall, two bullet holes into cealing-roof.

Last Edited:
"One exception is that, as of just recently, you can no longer draw from a holster unless you're under the supervision of a certified instructor. "

Simple rule of thumb, if you are standing on a concrete slab, don't draw from a holster.
Exception: unless you are under the supervision of a certified instructor approved by the CRSO.

Thanks for that correction Rick. I missed that I read that under the SOP's for the Indoor Range. I was reviewing the updated rule book and thought I was reading under the general rules, not the specific SOP for Indoor.

That makes me happy as I routinely practice drawing from a holster on the Dynamic and Tactical Shotgun ranges. Good to know we can still do that :)

Just curious, as I don't recall - are you one of the RSO's out there?

Thanks to you both for the help with this. Since I have never been there...What sections have concrete slabs and what doesn't? And what sections can you shoot 9mm pistol?

Here are the ranges where you can shoot pistol:

Silhouette
Dynamic
Tactical Shotgun Bay
Indoor Range

All are fine for 9mm. Only the Dynamic and Shotgun Bay would allow draw from holster - the others have slabs. There is also a 100/200 yard rifle range, but no handguns allowed there.

Here are the ranges where you can shoot pistol:

Silhouette
Dynamic
Tactical Shotgun Bay
Indoor Range

All are fine for 9mm. Only the Dynamic and Shotgun Bay would allow draw from holster - the others have slabs. There is also a 100/200 yard rifle range, but no handguns allowed there.
Awesome and the silhouette, dynamic and tactical shotgun bay all have steel targets? I'm assuming you can shoot paper targets on all of them too?

Awesome and the silhouette, dynamic and tactical shotgun bay all have steel targets? I'm assuming you can shoot paper targets on all of them too?

The Silhoutte is the only one where you'll find some steel silhouettes set up. On any of those, you are allowed to bring your own targets so long as they conform to the club rules - which are stated in the handbook. And yes, paper targets on all those ranges. They provide target stands and you can vary distances based on your needs.

Except during matches, club steel is not available.
Bring your own paper target and stapler.
Wood target frames 5'x2' are on site.

So, are the silhouettes on the Silhoutte range not available for use? I thought they were. But it's been two years since my orientation and I don't use that range.

Can you bring your own steel targets? like an Action target evil roy portable steel target?

How busy is it on the weekends? I might be able to make it during the week, but primarily during weekends.

I usually shoot weekdays, it's never been very busy. The few times I've been in the weekend, it's been busier, but I guess it really depends on the weekend and the time.

Here is a quote directly from the handbook regarding the use of your own steel/reactionary targets - this is specially for the Dynamic Range:

Targets Allowed –

• Only paper targets or "approved" steel targets are allowed on the Dynamic Range. "Approved" steel means steel reactionary targets that move when hit, e.g. dueling tree, spinners, plate rack, poppers, etc.
  • Any fixed steel targets must have at least a 15 degree down angle. This is to reduce the chance of ricochets and to deflect bullets down.
  • Steel targets shall be set up at safe distances from the shooter. 10 yards is the minimum safe distance for handgun, rimfire and shotgun pellets. 50 yards is the minimum safe distance for centerfire rifle and shotgun slugs. Discipline directors at matches may modify these distances according to the rules of their national organization with the concurrence of the DRRC CRSO.
  • All other shooting must be in accord with DRRC distance standards.
  • All rounds at paper targets should impact the appropriate impact berm.

Can you bring your own steel targets? like an Action target evil roy portable steel target?

How busy is it on the weekends? I might be able to make it during the week, but primarily during weekends.

If you'd like to visit the range to take a look around for a few, I can offer to show you around. I'm planning on heading over there after work this coming Wednesday, April 6th to shoot just a short practice session. I would be getting there around 3:30pm. I don't know if that works for you, but I could take 20 minutes or so to show you around if you like. I'm only going to be there for about an hour before I've got to head out. Visitors are normally $5, but I've been told that a non-shooting visitor/prospective member can come in to look around. I've shown a few folks around before (Rick please correct me if I'm wrong on that).

If you're interested, send me a PM (Conversation) and we can talk about it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top