JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't see much discussion of these,they haven't been imported since 1996,so that's pretty much expected...I recently acquired an unfired,in the box,Polytech M14,with the original mag,still in its little bag in cosmoline,and sling,also still in its bag...Due to its collectability status I don't intend to shoot it...Does anyone on here have any idea of what the value of this gun might be?...I'm aware that between 25 and 30 percent of these guns would develop headspace issues after 1000 rds or so,and the widely accepted fix is to put an USGI spec bolt in it,but as I stated,I don't intend to fire it...All shared knowledge is welcome and appreciated,thanks...

My guesstimate would be $1400 on the high end. Ones that have been fired seem to go for a wide range of prices, but typically $800-$1100. They just don't have very much collector value. Anyone that is interested in M14s is going to be buying GI stuff. That being said, good find.

The few I've seen go for auction were floating around the grand zone, give or take. Neato rifles, but as @Freshman mentioned, those that wanted an M1A/M14 just bought American, so likely won't go for a huge amount. That said, I have noticed (now) harder to find items go for more.

Good luck. :)

Well,I've been following a local auction house on HiBid,and the recently took in an esate of over 500 guns,mostly unfired...They're doing 50 gun lots,one per week...I don't know who it was that passed,but he sure had an eye for collectable guns,but apparently had no time to shoot any of them...Thanks for the responses...

The one thing that's killing me is the prices for USGI parts,I mean $269 for a scope mount seems crazy to me...

I have owned and shot a few Polytech M-14s in the past, both new and old.
They were the worst shooting as far as accuracy goes, sold them all & would never own one again!
That might be a reason why they are worth about $1k or less used, most older collectors, like myself, wouldn't touch one.

I have owned and shot a few Polytech M-14s in the past, both new and old.
They were the worst shooting as far as accuracy goes, sold them all & would never own one again!
That might be a reason why they are worth about $1k or less used, most older collectors, like myself, wouldn't touch one.
Not just older folks, I'm 29 and the only way I'd even consider getting one is if I could get one for about $500-$750, otherwise I'd just buy the real mccoy.
Well,I've been following a local auction house on HiBid,and the recently took in an esate of over 500 guns,mostly unfired...They're doing 50 gun lots,one per week...I don't know who it was that passed,but he sure had an eye for collectable guns,but apparently had no time to shoot any of them...Thanks for the responses...

The one thing that's killing me is the prices for USGI parts,I mean $269 for a scope mount seems crazy to me...

Don't waste money putting optics on an M14(original or clone) they are not a precision rifle. If you want an accurate semi-auto .308 get an AR10.

Not just older folks, I'm 29 and the only way I'd even consider getting one is if I could get one for about $500-$750, otherwise I'd just buy the real mccoy.

Don't waste money putting optics on an M14(original or clone) they are not a precision rifle. If you want an accurate semi-auto .308 get an AR10.
I dunno... mine is grouping around 1.25 MOA, and it is one of my favorites to shoot. It has a Leupold MK4 on top. Definitely not as accurate as an equivalent AR-10, but it serves its purpose exceedingly well as a range toy.

Last Edited:

I scoped a Springfield Armory M1A and it was VERY accurate, even over distance. Shot it exclusively in the Colorado mtns around where I live. I let it go cuz Im past that kind of shooting due to age and health considerations.
I would not touch a Polytech clone, they make decent AKs, but the metal on their M14 clones was reputed to be sub-standard and there were accuracy issues. YMMV!

Didn't Springfield Armory used to do rebuilds or whatnot on these? No idea what the results were, or what impact on value it would have, but just a random recollection.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews