JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I put a lot of time into a G19, polishing internals.
After all that effort, my stock G21 is/was far better without touching it.
Since then I've always wondered if a stock G17 was comparable in that regard.

Back to the topic at hand....

I bought a cordless Dremel just for doing some polishing work. I tend to polish the feed ramps on all my autos. Use the small polishing disc and a little bit of Mothers at a time and any micro burs will go away. If you have a bur that's large enough to really feel, well that's another story.

I have a couple of 1911s and have a had a couple before these. They have all been problematic with feeding. I never really changed out parts(maybe I should start there). I just happened to read something the other night about a guy saying he polished his feed ramp and that it help a considerable amount. I was hoping this would be a cheaper solution instead of buying and changing parts on what I consider to be halfway descent guns.

I use a commercial Polishing compound from Palm Abrasives, it works with any good felt of muzlin polishing wheel or dremel bit and will give a mirror finish! For fine details work, there are rubber abrasive bits for moto tools that do an amazing job in a short amount of time! Really the best way to do some of these tasks! I just did the breach face on my Kimber, and it really slicked up the feeding!
These are what I use, and can be used by them selves or with a polishing compound!
711a6DjFaJL._SL1100_.jpg

I use the Dremel bits that are essentially rubber with small amounts of abrasive materials added. They work really really well for polishing. There great for getting into nooks and crannies too. Best brand I've found is Cratex.

Dremel Tool Bits | CRATEX Abrasives

upload_2019-3-29_16-43-13.jpeg

For the SP101 a couple of honing stones wouldn't hurt. As well as a flat piece of metal. Most internal pieces are flat on one or two sides and you can polish them easily on a flat surface.

I have a couple of 1911s and have a had a couple before these. They have all been problematic with feeding. I never really changed out parts(maybe I should start there). I just happened to read something the other night about a guy saying he polished his feed ramp and that it help a considerable amount. I was hoping this would be a cheaper solution instead of buying and changing parts on what I consider to be halfway descent guns.

Polishing your feed ramp won't hurt anything, so go for it!

I never really polish any thing except the trigger systems.
I buy the color parts.
But never liked the the silver shiner stuff.
My new Rifle has the silver barrel.
But as soon as I get it set up it's getting a paint job IMG_20190323_151117.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews