Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Polished 1911

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by Shootnstuff, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Shootnstuff

Shootnstuff Vancouver wa Member

I'm interested in getting my Ruger SR1911 polished. Does anyone know who in PDX or the Northwest that could fully polish a firearm. Also any ideas what this would cost, am I crazy to think 3 to 4 hundred.

Thanks

19stang88 likes this.
  2. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

You can do this yourself for free with a little time, patience and elbow grease. Then you'll have the satisfaction of having done it yourself. There are a bunch of step by step videos on youtube.

Fast Eddie and orygun like this.
  3. DLeeHarley

DLeeHarley Idaho New Member

I'm in that process myself. I have a Ruger SR1911CMD and I've begun the process of polishing it out. I started with I think it was 600 then 1000 wet then 2000 wet then a polishing wheel with Mother's Aluminum polish. It's going to need a lot more effort. My mistake was I didn't sand out the 600 enough before moving up, so I've got some deep marks that I need to go back and polish out. But like already stated, you'll feel better knowing that you've done it yourself! Good luck Later,
    a6eza3a9.jpg ade3y5e3.jpg

Dennis in Idaho

4. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Do you have to remove enough material that you erase the rollmarks?

5. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Vancouver Well-Known Member

If you polish it yourself, then you will treat it like a normal gun. If you pay $400 to have it polished, you will treat it like a BBQ gun.

6. DLeeHarley

I haven't lost them yet. It's deeper than you think. But you don't wanna go too far either. Later,
    Dennis

7. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

IMAG00232.JPG
    IMAG00243.JPG

all mothers mag polish, no wheel

orygun likes this.
  8. DLeeHarley

Coop +1 that's great! And that wheel gun has lots of nooks and crannies that are a PITA to get good coverage, especially by hand! Looks quite a bit better than mine, so I'd better quit procrastinating. But I'm soooooo good at it too. LOL Thanks again Coop, great work. Later,
    D.

9. jonn5335

jonn5335 Longview Active Member

Here is a before and after of my Mustang . . . Just take your time and if you don't feel comfortable doing it have a professional do it but it's fairly simple and straight forward. 20140503_191133.jpg SANY0202.JPG