JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm a newbie when it comes to mechanical things. The only hardware and tools I have is a multi screw driver. I was looking for some advice on polishing up an akms internals. It doesn't rack smoothly and gets sticky. I would also like to polish the chamber. If anything I could pay someone to do the work for me. Help anyone?
-Ben

Shoot a couple of K through it.

If you are just manually cycling and feeling it hang a little, thats normal in a semi AK as the carrier rides over the hammer. Do not polish the chamber.

It hangs directly over the hammer, but if you think it's fine, I'll take your word for it. And what's your reasoning on not polishing the chamber? I don't know if it makes a difference but it's chrome lined and chf.

Look at the bolt carrier where it rides on the rails in the receiver and those rails. If there are any burrs in them, then that may cause the action to be more rough than it should be. Otherwise, an AK is an action that can feel rough in comparison to other rifles, but as long as it feeds and extracts, it is probably okay, and it is one of the more durable and reliable semi-auto rifles.

This is my 2nd akm variant. The previous akm I had was a sar 556. It wasn't very reliable and would jam once every 10 shots. Put 100 rounds through it. So I just sold it. So it just worries me to deal with another akm that isn't 100% reliable.

Yep, what was said above.
Hand cycling the bolt makes it hang up on the hammer.

When fired, there is enough force where it wont get hung up. About a thousand rounds and it'll be smooth as glass.
You can send it in to a few companies that'll polish them up for you.

Pauly's glass bolt*.. or something like that is one I know of.

The only unreliable AK I have ever had (and I have owned about 10) was a Century Arms Golani (Galil clone). Trust CAI to screw up even an AK. I think the gas port on it was too big because about once every 25 rd. mag it would partially rip the rim off of the cartridge and fail to extract it. The brass would come out by hand so I doubt the chamber was too tight. The ammo was std. M855 ammo.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews