JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a S&W 1911 that is matte stainless. I have never been a fan of this, but it was a gift, so I have to keep it. I'd like to have it polished to look like a Springfield's factory finish. Is there any shops around Portland that do this? Is it hard to do your self?

I'm thinking about doing the same thing to my new stainless Desert Eagle. Think I'll use my air powered die grinder with various grits of stainless polish and various shaped buff attachments.

You'll find a lot of scratches under that matte finisho_O
Seems like I saw a youtube video of Yankee Marshall with his polished DE. He even had to take some large creases out of the finish. I haven't decided for sure if I am going to do it or not. I sure like the pistol though. The integrated muzzle brake sure helps with the heavy muzzle rise!

To put things in perspective you do not take a scratch out of a finish but instead have to reduce everything around the scratch to the level of the bottom of the scratch. And maintaining straight lines while doing this can mean a LOT of material will have to be removed.

I was a full time custom knifemaker for 14 years who did everything to create my knives. And I can tell you polishing out a matte finish handgun will in itself be a hobby and once started you HAVE to finish or the gun will look like crap.

If you were so inclined to want to polish something, my suggestion would be to polish the flats on the slide. I would start at probably 220 or 320 grit wet/dry paper taped to a flat surface (I use a pane of glass or a ceramic tile). Polish to 600 grit or so. I usually push only one direction and go slow. Use oil to lube the paper. Did I mention, GO SLOW!

How I polish..;)

Post up a pic! A blasted matte finish looks good if you use scotch brite pads (fine) and oil.
And yes, some do this around here:D

image.jpeg image.jpeg

To put things in perspective you do not take a scratch out of a finish but instead have to reduce everything around the scratch to the level of the bottom of the scratch. And maintaining straight lines while doing this can mean a LOT of material will have to be removed.

I was a full time custom knifemaker for 14 years who did everything to create my knives. And I can tell you polishing out a matte finish handgun will in itself be a hobby and once started you HAVE to finish or the gun will look like crap.
Thats why I keep talking myself out of starting this project... Paid a lot for the gun and sure don't want to screw it up.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top