Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Polishing Matte Stainless

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by RedneckRampage, Mar 5, 2016.

1. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

I have a S&W 1911 that is matte stainless. I have never been a fan of this, but it was a gift, so I have to keep it. I'd like to have it polished to look like a Springfield's factory finish. Is there any shops around Portland that do this? Is it hard to do your self?

2. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Maybe Mother's polish? Go on YouTube and search for Yankee Marshall aka @PlayboyPenguin here on the forums. He has done this very thing on video and has it down to an art form.

3. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Get a buffing wheel and put it on a bench grinder and that will save you a ton of work.

Apply buffing compound and go to work.

edslhead likes this.
  4. wcdubois

wcdubois Oregon Coast Active Member 2016 Volunteer

I'm thinking about doing the same thing to my new stainless Desert Eagle. Think I'll use my air powered die grinder with various grits of stainless polish and various shaped buff attachments.

5. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

You'll find a lot of scratches under that matte finisho_O

6. wcdubois

Seems like I saw a youtube video of Yankee Marshall with his polished DE. He even had to take some large creases out of the finish. I haven't decided for sure if I am going to do it or not. I sure like the pistol though. The integrated muzzle brake sure helps with the heavy muzzle rise!

7. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

To put things in perspective you do not take a scratch out of a finish but instead have to reduce everything around the scratch to the level of the bottom of the scratch. And maintaining straight lines while doing this can mean a LOT of material will have to be removed.

I was a full time custom knifemaker for 14 years who did everything to create my knives. And I can tell you polishing out a matte finish handgun will in itself be a hobby and once started you HAVE to finish or the gun will look like crap.

wcdubois and Sgt Nambu like this.
  8. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

If you were so inclined to want to polish something, my suggestion would be to polish the flats on the slide. I would start at probably 220 or 320 grit wet/dry paper taped to a flat surface (I use a pane of glass or a ceramic tile). Polish to 600 grit or so. I usually push only one direction and go slow. Use oil to lube the paper. Did I mention, GO SLOW!

wcdubois and Sgt Nambu like this.
  9. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

How I polish..;)

Post up a pic! A blasted matte finish looks good if you use scotch brite pads (fine) and oil.
    And yes, some do this around here:D

image.jpeg image.jpeg

F2CMaDMaXX, Stomper and Sgt Nambu like this.
  10. MountainBear

Velzey, you cheating bugger. Surface grinding...o_O

11. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Hey I got the wiring all figured out! And it runs soooooooo nice. :D

MountainBear likes this.
  12. MountainBear

Good to know! I may have need for something surface ground someday!

Velzey likes this.
  13. wcdubois

Thats why I keep talking myself out of starting this project... Paid a lot for the gun and sure don't want to screw it up.