JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
See, this is where Home Owners Associations drive me nuts. Of course, if you choose to live in home which is part of an HOA, then you signed up for the crap you get. Join the board, get the by-laws changed.

THIS IS NOT AN HOA !
This is a CITY ORDINANCE.
Control and tyranny in its lowest form !

Quote:
A neighbor had apparently called the cops to complain about the criminal car-washer.
The officer cited a city ordinance that says people cannot wash their cars on private
property in the public’s view.
END QUOTE

THIS IS NOT AN HOA !

Quote:
A neighbor had apparently called the cops to complain about the criminal car-washer.
The officer cited a city ordinance that says people cannot wash their cars on private
property in the public's view.
END QUOTE

Wow, I only assumed this was an HOA. I did more research, and apparently it was actually an officer not understanding the actual law which was washing cars on public streets, not 'in view of the public.'

So you can't wash a street on the side of a street, but private property in view of public is fine.

So the officer, apparently screwed up. As did the nanny state member who called it in.

In other words, know your laws people, used them against idiots.

Village of Garden City, NY Washing on Streets and Sidewalks

§ 178-3
Cleaning or washing of rugs, furniture or vehicles.
No person shall wash or cause to be washed, clean or cause to be cleaned, beat or cause to be beaten any rugs, curtains, furniture, tapestry, clothing or other like articles upon any sidewalk, public street, highway or public place within the village, and no person shall wash or cause to be washed any motor vehicle or like conveyance upon any public street, highway or public place.

Wow, I only assumed this was an HOA. I did more research, and apparently it was actually an officer not understanding the actual law which was washing cars on public streets, not 'in view of the public.'

So you can't wash a street on the side of a street, but private property in view of public is fine.

So the officer, apparently screwed up. As did the nanny state member who called it in.

In other words, know your laws people, used them against idiots.

Village of Garden City, NY Washing on Streets and Sidewalks

§ 178-3
Cleaning or washing of rugs, furniture or vehicles.
No person shall wash or cause to be washed, clean or cause to be cleaned, beat or cause to be beaten any rugs, curtains, furniture, tapestry, clothing or other like articles upon any sidewalk, public street, highway or public place within the village, and no person shall wash or cause to be washed any motor vehicle or like conveyance upon any public street, highway or public place.

Is that current. Nothing about washing on private property there. Guess they just make them up as they see fit.

THIS IS NOT AN HOA !

Quote:
property in the public's view.
END QUOTE

Yes - LEOs do not enforce HOA rules, that is a civil matter.

I don't blame the LEOs for saying they would ticket him either. If someone wants to blame someone, then blame either the city council/etc., or the local voters (depending on how the ordinance was passed), not the LEO whose job it is to enforce the law - they generally do not get to pick and choose which laws they can enforce.

There are a lot of stupid laws out there, and we don't get to pick and choose which ones we obey. There is a methodology for getting the laws passed and for getting them rescinded.

unfortunately this insanity is more common than you think. I worked with a former CHP for a while and he was saying that any CHP cop that studied the applicable laws a bit could find a legitimate reason to pull you over within a few blocks within the law. Apparently there are still some really old laws on the books in various parts of the country - iirc in CO if you injure an emergency services person (cop/fireman) while attempting suicide you can receive the death penalty, in CA and a few other states, one must have a person carry a lantern 10 ft in front of and 10 ft behind a horseless carriage when crossing an intersection after dark so as to avoid spooking livestock. While several of these strange laws made sense at the time they were written they have no practical application any longer.

I will say the law preventing you from washing your car on the street is a bit insane.

THIS IS NOT AN HOA !

Quote:
property in the public’s view.
END QUOTE

Many years ago we had a "drought" here in Portland. They passed some rule saying that you cannot water your lawn on odd numbered days or something like that. I was bad, and watered my freshly sodded lawn. My neighbor across the street who is a nice Christian lady, someone with whom were were very good friends, threatened to turn me in if I did it again. I learned about trust from her...learned that it does not matter what someone believes or how good of a friend they may appear to be, because in the end when things get dicey, those inclined to be sheep will call the wolf when other sheep get out of line :)

Many years ago we had a "drought" here in Portland. They passed some rule saying that you cannot water your lawn on odd numbered days or something like that. I was bad, and watered my freshly sodded lawn. My neighbor across the street who is a nice Christian lady, someone with whom were were very good friends, threatened to turn me in if I did it again. I learned about trust from her...learned that it does not matter what someone believes or how good of a friend they may appear to be, because in the end when things get dicey, those inclined to be sheep will call the wolf when other sheep get out of line :)

You noticed :)
Yes it will surprise you just who will turn on you. Trust no one til they actually take out the creep coming up on your back. Until then trust no one. People that prove themselves are worth more than gold, but they are few. There is some pure gold on this site. Then there are a few slithering maggots as well. The gold is in abundance though. This is like a rural community. People reveal themselves to the rest. Rats that wander in have no sewers to hide in.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top