JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@tatewoody , check out this interactive map of dispersed shooting sites on public lands (OR & WA). I can't assure the peace and quiet you're looking for, but often you can have all by yourself and others will keep on driving if they see you there.

I'll add more spots as I learn of them. I don't add someone's secret spot if they tell me about it. These places are well known and need more responsible shooters shooting at them to be examples and help clean up as we go. It's how we can all help keep it open.

Enjoy, Be Safe, and Trash No Land!

https://www.trashnoland.org/

Just to back up the point of trashy people leaving their trash behind. Makes me so mad!!!! If I had a trailer I'd pick it up!

0B2A43EB-CAC4-49F9-B3BE-9EBE448CAA3F.jpeg 232ED3EC-1964-442B-8746-A46DA844C1D2.jpeg 2C4E8B84-394C-429D-8C1B-1D3A24693A2B.jpeg 66BDE5C7-4F9F-4F93-BAC9-A81B4264FCA1.jpeg

Just to back up the point of trashy people leaving their trash behind. Makes me so mad!!!! If I had a trailer I'd pick it up!

View attachment 1129979 View attachment 1129980 View attachment 1129981 View attachment 1129982
Looks like the Lower L1500 in Yacolt Burn (where 412th enters the Burn). Combination of illegal construction dump and shooter left behind trash.

I wouldn't doubt it if the dump was from someone who gets hired to clean up a construction site, charges a disposal fee and then dumps on public land to save the fee costs. I've see other construction debris dumped in other parts of the Burn. Wish I had time to follow a few cleanup crews from the site to the dumping grounds!

The burnt stuff is probably from shooters trying to stay warm and enjoying a little 'atmosphere', and the target trash is lazy, selfish, "don't give a damn" attitudes. All stuff that reflects bad on gun owners.

I got a pickup truck but no time for the next 3-4 weekends or I'd join you, Ryan. The Pick Up The Burn event isn't till the end of March. But I really wouldn't mind getting those spots on the lower 1500 cleaned up soon.

On the log trucks in the woods, your are in their world, stay out of the way. If the battle cry is somebody needs to do something, make it you. I was a dump truck driver for the Coos Bay District of the BLM. By far the biggest hazard in the woods wasn't the loggers/log trucks it was the civilians that drive right down the center of the road and don't know what yeild or share the road means. Here is a couple of tips, drive with your headlights on even in the daylight, stay on the right side of the road even if there is no stripe, use the turn outs. Lastly be alert and prepared, you aren't the only one out there and enjoy the day.

On the log trucks in the woods, your are in their world, stay out of the way. If the battle cry is somebody needs to do something, make it you. I was a dump truck driver for the Coos Bay District of the BLM. By far the biggest hazard in the woods wasn't the loggers/log trucks it was the civilians that drive right down the center of the road and don't know what yeild or share the road means. Here is a couple of tips, drive with your headlights on even in the daylight, stay on the right side of the road even if there is no stripe, use the turn outs. Lastly be alert and prepared, you aren't the only one out there and enjoy the day.
Good reminder, Mike. I turn on the CB and try to catch the Channel sign when entering the forest. I just monitor the channel, in case anyone calls out they're coming. Lots of logging activity happening out there! Big cleanup efforts from the recent fires, plus lots of timber sales contracts being fulfilled.

(PS: I'm still looking for a box of 44 Special Mag or 44 Russian, Mike. I'm passing by your place next Friday, so let me know if you have a box made up. Thanks.)

Too add, weather permitting leave your windows cracked or open so you can hear jake breaks. Jakes are a pretty good indicator that you are about to meet a loaded tree truck or other heavy rig up around that blind curve or switchback.

Join a gun club.
Yeah, ya know, so you can spend more money to shoot and hang out with strangers you have to trust with your life.

No thanks. :)

Threat Dynamics used to be my favorite. Soon as they stopped letting me bring in my own ammo and targets, I quit.

Now I just shoot airguns in the backyard to keep up my skillz, and haven't been to a for-fee range in years.

And that's why private timberland is gated.
No doubt about this. I get upset that I can't enter forestland that I've played in since I was a kid, but I don't let people onto my property just so they can trash it.

Yeah, ya know, so you can spend more money to shoot and hang out with strangers you have to trust with your life.

No thanks. :)

Threat Dynamics used to be my favorite. Soon as they stopped letting me bring in my own ammo and targets, I quit.

Now I just shoot airguns in the backyard to keep up my skillz, and haven't been to a for-fee range in years.
I haven't liked to shoot at "shooting spots" in the woods for a very long time. I grew up doing that with Dad and continued into my adulthood with my close friends. I stopped shooting at those places when I felt that I had to watch my back more than my target. I've only been to a shooting range when there was a very observant, vocal range officer and know nothing about the standard operating procedure at ranges, but I know that I'm perfectly comfortable at my own place because I don't have to be concerned with others.

One spot that seems fairly decent is North Wolf Creek off north side of Highway 26, about 100 feet west of mile post 35. For a state-sponsored setup it seems to work pretty well, and for the most part people who use it avoid trashing it. Of course, no place is 100% free of "pukes" but the users here seem to show some respect. As a free public shooting range it gets a steady load of users, so don't expect peaceful alone time, but if you're fortunate that also opens the opportunity to meet good gun folk there.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top